Stupid @rse Ford salesman - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2002, 14:46   #1 (permalink)

Stupid @rse Ford salesman

I went into the local Ford dealer yesterday to make some enquiries about the XR6T. There were heaps of other people around doing the same thing so I just wandered around looking at all the new BAs until a salesman became available. I asked about the different steering wheels available (see my other thread on this) as I was confused as to the difference between standard, sports and MOMO. The salesman didn't know about a sports wheel and told me the MOMO was the same as standard except with coloured leather inserts and for $800 it comes as a package with matching gear knob. I told him this was different to the info I had found on the Ford website. He just gave me a strange look and repeated his earlier comment.

I then asked about insurance for XR6T through FordInsure. The salesman told me to ring NRMA or similar company as Ford don't do insurance. Again I questioned the accuracy of his information as 10 minutes previously I had looked up FordInsure on the web. He kept insisting that Ford didn't do insurance and I kept saying I was pretty sure they did. He reluctantly said he would go and double-check and sure enough he came back saying that Ford does do insurance.

The salesman introduced me to this other young guy who does the insurance and finance and he took down all my details fed them into the computer and came up with a figure of $998, about $100 dearer than NRMA. No worries I thought, you don't know if you don't ask. The guy then suggested I try AAMI as his sister or mother or some other relo is insured with them and they are pretty cheap!

This guy then asked if I had a car to trade and I said yes my EB is just outside. I had asked the previous salesman for a quote and he said he wouldn't until I was ready to sign a contract! The young sales guy came out and looked at my car and started noting down the features and asking questions. Then the original salesman came (literally) running out of the showroom mumbling something about getting held up on the phone. Anyway, to cut a long story a bit shorter the salesmen said they would have to get back to me with a trade-in figure after they ring a few of their wholesalers and discuss it with them. I wonder if it's is this hard to buy a Commodore?

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2002, 15:40   #2 (permalink)
Team Galaxy Try Hard

eek

I went into my local ford dealer just to get a price of the XR6T on road, and I ended up sitting with the fordcredit loans officer 5 minutes later discussing repayments minus my trade in.

It was too easy for my liking.
Nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 15:44   #3 (permalink)

Take your business elsewhere, they don't deserve there commission there.
Old 12-10-2002, 18:05   #4 (permalink)
کhậ۴ţ

I agree.

shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 18:44   #5 (permalink)
Rail Rider

It took 2 salesmen and 10mins to value my EBII at $5K.
Old 12-10-2002, 23:45   #6 (permalink)
JR
Editor on P Plates

Go to www.redbook.com.au and click on the personalized valuations section.

Pay the $11 or whatever it is and get a reasonably accurate answer from one of the independent sources that the dealers use to arrive at their own figures. When answering the questions, BE HONEST about the condition of your car, or you are wasting your time and cash.

I got $15K for my modified Hyundai Accent by being able to show that certificate to different reps at different dealers when it got to the stage where they told me that it wasn't worth any more that $12K.

One western Sydney Ford dealer (who shall remain nameless) was even stupid enough to get his copy of the Redbook out to show me what it said - imagine his surprise when I showed him the Redbook certificate that stated a considerably higher value. Remember that Dealers rarely take into account any of the modifications you've done, and then only the ones they can see.

If you've done a lot of work, spend a bit of time and make yourself a spec sheet that lists all the standard, optional & modified equipment. I'm convinced in my own mind that it, and the Rebook certificate, helped me get $3K more than I would have got without them.
Editor: Street Fords Magazine - Issue #1 on sale MARCH 2005
E-mail: jr@streetfords.com

Co Founder: 3FB Inc.
To see my old BA Falcon XR6, click HERE
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 03:15   #7 (permalink)
Territory - 2004 COTY

Hiya Falchoon,

I hope its OK if I offer a slightly dissenting comment on your salesperson experience.

First, I need to say that the sales guy should have given you a quote (on the new car only) in a professional and efficient manner - no question.

However, you, me and lots of others are pretty quick sometimes I think to criticise a salesperson in this situation. I wonder how many people like you, these guys see every day lately? Lots of interest in XR's or turbos, everyone wanting a drive or a quote but not ready to sign on the dotted line as yet?

In fact Falchoon, I'd suggest you are one of the powerful new breed of customer ---- extremely knowledgable on just about every facet of the car, the services available etc etc particularly because of your access to the Internet and forums like this one.

You ask the question at the end "I wonder if its as hard to buy a Commodore?" I honestly mean no offence .... but you WEREN'T ready to buy a car whether its a Commodore or a Falcon --- they gave you the insurance quote, you can work on the road cost of your car very easily via the Ford website and its a waste of time getting a trade in valuation on your EB until you are ready to buy the car .... its meaningless to know today if the car is worth $10K if you aren't gonna buy for another 3 months, coz maybe then its only worth $9K. Who knows? Maybe it'll be worth $11K then to the Dealer coz he has guy in mind to buy that exact type of car ....

I guess in the end what I'm trying to say is that ... I respect your right to investigate stuff and go for a drive .... I just don't like some of the criticism of sales guys just coz of something they didn't do quick enough to a customer's mind .....

Now if they had been inefficient when you were REALLY going to buy a car .... then I'd agree with your comments ... but not just now when you're "window shopping" ...

Once again, no offence intended here .... just wish a lot of us weren't so intent on intensifying the salesperson stereotype of bumbling fools ... coz many of them are doing the best they can in the end.
Organza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 03:44   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Organza
Once again, no offence intended here .... just wish a lot of us weren't so intent on intensifying the salesperson stereotype of bumbling fools ... coz many of them are doing the best they can in the end.
Just doing the best they can...as bumbling fools...???

All dealers are stuck with them from time to time - just as supermarkets and shoe shops etc etc. Unfortunately there are too many sales assistants who lack the product knowledge and "people" skills that are needed to assist an "informed" buyer (or potential buyer) in making his decision. I seem to come across them a lot too.

On the other hand they probably talk amongst themselves and complain about us as "that smart-arse know-it-all bastard who never buys anything but wants to know the ins and outs of everything that opens and shuts".
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 04:13   #9 (permalink)
Territory - 2004 COTY

well actually .....

much worse than that .... something about liars, lack of integrity, two faced, buy at another dealership for $5 ..... sort of thinking more like it
Organza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 04:21   #10 (permalink)
JR
Editor on P Plates

Where I work, if the sales rep's don't know everything there is to know about our product, they get the arse - why should the guys selling cars be held to a lesser standard!

It's not a whitegood on wheels, it's the second largest purchase most of us will ever make - I think expecting a bit of intelligence and product knowledge from the guy selling you the car isn't too much to ask!
Editor: Street Fords Magazine - Issue #1 on sale MARCH 2005
E-mail: jr@streetfords.com

Co Founder: 3FB Inc.
To see my old BA Falcon XR6, click HERE
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub