Subron 14 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 03:15   #1 (permalink)
Moderators

Subron 14

Rummaging through a drawer and came upon an old Zippo from my smoking days .It has the Subron 14 badge etched into it and was given to me by my late Uncle many years back . My aunt / uncle lived in Dunoon and like most residents were heavily involved with the US service personnel . Curiosty aroused , I came across this site which invoked many memories of my visits when younger .

SubRon 14 The Text History
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2012, 06:21   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: Subron 14

I remember Dunoon well. It was a nice town, and I learned not to play darts with old guys when a pitcher was involved.
CatSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:08   #3 (permalink)
Moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSkinner View Post
I remember Dunoon well. It was a nice town, and I learned not to play darts with old guys when a pitcher was involved.
Were you stationed there ? Uncle had a few taxis and many a time the sailors went on leave and were too late to get the last ferry or it wasn't running for whatever reason over to the mainland ( Gourock ) . They were headed towards the city of Glasgow for the dancing , girls , booze etc. and then had to take a taxi over land to get there and sow their wild oats .Nice trip and cab fare for the drivers. Sure I remember him mentioning the cabs used to wait at Sandbank for the liberty boats to dock .I used to go quite often to Kilmun on the other side of the Holy Loch and fish from the pier there , always taking the binoculars to see the subs and dock across the water . Lucky I wasn't lifted as a spy !!!Many a " dispute " has ensued in a pub over darts and or dominoes with some of the old sharks / hustlers .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:03   #4 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

I only left the Dunoon area once, took a train to Edinburgh for a tatoo. Other than that, pretty much hung around Dunoon in the small pubs relishing the Guinness and playing darts. I was never great, but I could hold my own if the beer was flowing. Had a particularly hot night where it seemed that I couldn't throw a bad dart and I was playing for beers. I played for a couple of hours without having to buy a pint when an elderly gentleman using a cane offered to play for 20 pounds. I declined, said I only played for beer, so we agreed on a pitcher. We played cricket and he cleaned my clock. He made my best game look bad. As he walked away with his pitcher, he mumbled, "Next time don't be so cocky, Yank!"

Oh well.
CatSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub