Sundeep and SPHELL score a wrecked EA Ghia!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2003, 04:28   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Sundeep and SPHELL score a wrecked EA Ghia!!

Hey guys,

As some of you guys may have known, Doug (SPHELL) and I have been looking in to buying a wrecked EA Fairmont Ghia for a while now. Well, we have finally been able to put our plan in to practise.

The way we planned it, Doug was to come over to my place so we could head out and get the wrecked car with his dad's Fairmont as it had a tow bar. First problem struck when his dad's car wasn't available. The only option available was to take a tired old VL Wagon I had been given for the long weekend to fix up.

As expected, the VL almost died trying to tow the wrecked car up the hill where the wrecked car had been living. We decided to give the VL a break and let the person we bought the car off tow the wrecked car up the hill, and the VL would take it the rest of the way. The NA did it with ease.

The VL being prepared for take off at the top of the hill

Going, but for how long?

Next up was to try and start it. We decided to pull the smashed side of the car back out so that we could pull the wrecked fan and head light out. We tied the tow rope to it, hit the brakes hard and let the VL do the piss easy work, and it did, like a dream. We then put my car's battery in it and it started on gas easy. For the next few minutes we had some fun trying to do burnouts :s6:

After this, Scott (EvilEA) and I started at removing the MPI manifold and all related bits out. Most went like a dream, but when the going got tough, I got going and let Scott do the work .

While this was all happening my brother and AJ (EB-Phoenix) got the interior out for Doug and I, James (Juarez) stripped the engine bay bare single handedly and Doug decided to get his cam in. At the same time the MPI was out, Doug's new cam was in. He got in to give her a burl, but all that was heard was "crank, crank, run a little, bang!".

I had to take photos in the VL using the cigarette lighter as a power source

After eating some indian food kindly supplied by my mum, we called Simon (Bass_Crazy) numerous times to determine what had happened. After pulling out the number 6 spark plug, which was completely chewed, we knew something had gone wrong . Some persistence and a lot of cursing later, Doug decided to leave his car at my place, and take mine for the weekend.

Mini e-series meet at my house

But that wasn't it. My beautiful car decided to run out of petrol. Scott came to the rescue and after a while we got it going again.

In the end, it was a pretty good day and a lot of fun was had. I've got a big weekend ahead of me though, stripping Doug's car and the other one.

Sorry for the picture quality guys, camera had no batteries and I was forced to use the VL's dodgy cigarette lighter for power. Sorry for the post quality too, in a rush.

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2003, 04:40   #2 (permalink)
No longer around

seems like you had a bit of fun ther fellas
full on E series meet at sunnys house hahaha

anywayz no real thoughts on dougs cars prob maybee his timings out? maybee got a plug lead on the wrong plug maybee the cars cams not timed right? was the piston hittin the valve? just a thought?

anywayz u will get it sorted for sure
MADNC_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 04:42   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

It's been suggested that the piston hit the valve, which in-turn mashed the spark plug.

Time will tell.

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 04:48   #4 (permalink)
No longer around

well if thats the case then maybee the cam has too much valve overlap (keeps the valve open longer - piston comes up and whack) or isnt timed right
MADNC_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 05:02   #5 (permalink)
Wannabe mechanic :)

I'm gonna love going at it again tommorow with an angle grinder and stuff :)
Old 04-18-2003, 05:43   #6 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Great stuff guys, more pics for my E-Series Archive (tm)...

Hope the SPHELL mobile can be up and running soon though. :o

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 17:16   #7 (permalink)

shoulda made this a semi official event
hahaha
looks like yas had fun
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 17:37   #8 (permalink)
Ford Member

What are the name and size of the rims on the red EA? Guessing 17's by the look of them.
Chris Nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 19:09   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Nee
What are the name and size of the rims on the red EA? Guessing 17's by the look of them.
They are 17" Boyd Cottingtons (spelling?) Bloody nice rims.

And yeah I can vouch for the towing power (or lack of) with a 6 cylinder VL. A couple of years ago I had to go and rescue my aunt who had broken down in the country somewhere with horsefloat on the back. It was either my car or my grandpa's VL available to go help. Foolishly we took the VL and it was the longest day of my life. Had to almost get out and push going up any sort of hill.

Have fun Sunny...

Ash
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 19:12   #10 (permalink)

Oh yeah, Doug or Sunny. If either of you need a hand with anything, I'm more than happy to come around and help out. Given that I live only 5 minutes away and all. Doug has my number.

Ash
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub