Superlows and insurance - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2003, 21:23   #1 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Superlows and insurance

I want to put superlows on my car (EL XR6). I rang up RACV the other night just to get info. The chick i spoke to (who was obviously quoting everything off her screen as i could tell she had no idea what she was on about) said that I couldn't lower my car any lower than 30mm Lower than the base model. XR6 is allready about 1" lower than GLi, so does that mean It's basically on its limit now? I was positive that you could go 1.5" lower than the cars original ride height, not the base model.

So, for the guys who have superlows on your car, how has it affected your insurance? How do they even know how high your car is? Does an insurance assessor come out and measure it? What's the big deal, i mean if it doesnt sit lower than the legal 100mm i don't see any problem. I am not sure how low Superlows will make my car sit. I know they sit low becasue I've seen them, I just don't know the exact height. Gee I hate Insurance, nothing but trouble and you only get your money's worth when something really bad happens.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2003, 23:52   #2 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Re: Superlows and insurance

Also for the guys who have XR's, did you keep the standrad shocks or go for short stroke shocks? What brand shocks did you go for and how much? I know on XR's you don't have to change the shocks and I wont for now becasue I can't afford it. I will probably go for a premium brand down the track, Koni or Bilesten.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Old 07-13-2003, 01:29   #3 (permalink)
Dreamer

Just dont inform them of the suspension, if you do happen to crash, just say you bought it that way, have seen several around looking the same, and assumed it was the normal height.

Superlows dropped my car, EF Fairmont, around 75mm or more, dont know exactly, but shes on her bum, and it is a pain in the bum when you go for a holiday, but around town its a 'decent' ride, bit hard though, and even though i have stiff shocks, it bouncy around more than i'd like...
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 03:13   #4 (permalink)
BLitzer - Bitzer

LOL... when i rung the RACV the chick said, "As long as it's legal height we are able to insure it"... but then i said i was 19 and it went something more like "uhhhh... no sorry we can't insure that"

And about not telling them... wouldn't recommend it, my cousin (30yo) lowered his car (legal height) and didn't tell them... then his car was stolen and recovered with some damage... AAMI were dening his claim to have it fixed because he lowered it without telling them. It got sorted out after he threatened to go to court.
Old 07-13-2003, 03:23   #5 (permalink)
Just give me an excuse...

when i bought my car i told RACV that the car was lowered (factory 17 inch rims, with the apparent lowering of the car) and they said fine (no less more than 30mm from standard). however i discovered it doesn't look much lower than a standard XT so I will get the car lowered and it should be sweet (as the car is already insured as being lowered). right??? please say so!!
Old 07-13-2003, 03:58   #6 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Bugger not telling them. When you join with them you have to declare any modifications to them. If you don't then you've allready voided the contract. May as well not have insurance atall. I'm going to look elsewhere for insurance because I'm not really happy with RACV.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)

Old 07-13-2003, 04:18   #7 (permalink)

hmmm thats right cobra (although technically i already haveinformed them)....maybe i should wait and see what just car would offer me!!! The only mod i wanna do is the suspension...
Old 07-13-2003, 06:26   #8 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Dude, so you have only got the 17" and it sits lower becasue of what, the lower tyre profile? You only have to declare what you have modified, not the result of a modification. You told them you have bigger wheels, how are you to know that the car will be lower as a result of putting these wheels on? For all they know the car sits the same.

I'm putting 17" wheels and superlows on at the same time. They said the wheels are fine becasue they are only 1 inch wider than standard, but I don't know if the car will sit higher or lower with the wheels just on (without lowering it). Still, I'm going to put superlows on, it's my car I'll do what I like. If RACV don't approve they can shove it up their arse.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)

Old 07-13-2003, 07:20   #9 (permalink)

Cool cheers for that Cobra...stupid insurance companies...now off to see the wizard the wonderful wizard of herrods....well after my tax money comes through!!
Old 07-13-2003, 07:34   #10 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Yeah I'm waiting for my tax money to come through and on go the Superlows and 17's!
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub