Are Suv's Safe?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Are SUV'S Safe?
Safe 8 72.73%
Unsafe 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2001, 16:18   #1 (permalink)
Multi Car Owner

Today in the news another SUV wreck that claimed the life of 1 injuring 7 from the truck. And again the wreck was a ROLL accident due to over correcting. Seems to me this is more common in SUV's/Pickups, of course because of the High center of gravity. I dought that I will own one again in my life time. People are lulled into thinking they are soooo safe, yet I see them as dangerous. Many folks do not know how to drive them in unsafe manuvering situations. Just look at any junk yard, or a rebuilder lot that has the wrecked ones, most of them have rolled......SAFE, UNSAFE, what is your opinion??
Marqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2001, 22:35   #2 (permalink)

Tim I totally agree with you. I traded in my 89Probe for a 95 Cherokee. That was one of the biggest mistakes I ever made. I put nerf bars on it, fog lights, and all that other junk on it. After driving it a while It began to look like a casket to me, a big black one at that. Drove very different than any other car I ever had. But, I think some of the problems with SUVs are the drivers. Soccer moms and some dads, think that its a car and drive it like one. Instead of driving it like an off road vehicle.

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 22:57   #3 (permalink)
A-Team Member

SUVs are cool, but I prefer my Ford Probe.
ChargerGL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 06:16   #4 (permalink)
Multi Car Owner

Owe many of them look nice but I must agree that must women do not know what they are driving.
Old 03-16-2001, 09:12   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Marqman
Owe many of them look nice but I must agree that must women do not know what they are driving.
Uh ohhhhhh, buy making that statement you just know it's going cause some flaming to happen. :D

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 11:36   #6 (permalink)
Ranger Member

vehicles themselves: safe
drivers: unsafe

i think companies should offer some sort of driving school for people who just purchased their first suv...
Old 03-17-2001, 07:47   #7 (permalink)
Multi Car Owner

vehicles themselves: safe
drivers: unsafe

Man do i disagree on this one. Look at the explorer stuff, there is way more to that one then we will ever know. That problem appears to have reared its ugly head going as far back as 89'ish. ntil the last year or so I think they have been unsafe. Sure they are great for head ons ( if your IN THE SUV ) and the like. But in roll overs and what they do to other cars is not good.
AS far as the Women comment. Im am not being a pig or anything there, but I feel many can not handle a car in a bad situation.
Old 03-29-2001, 20:55   #8 (permalink)
SHO Member

Any vehicle is safe if it is driven properly. I have driven approximately 50,000 miles each year for the last 30 years in all kinds of conditions. My experiences have left me with the opinion that unsafe drivers outnumber unsafe vehicles by a VERY WIDE MARGIN. By the way, when was the last time you checked the air pressure in your tires? And your brake lights?
pjtoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2001, 14:29   #9 (permalink)
Ranger Member

i feel 100% that it is the drivers not the vehicle. as for the bad tire thing i have had a tire blow while i was driving as well as a ball joint let go and negther time did the vehicle roll over or even leave the road. i think that SUV's need to be driven like trucks and anyone that gets in one and thinks it will handle like a car is dead wrong and dangerous. if you know how to drive, and know how to drive an SUV or truck then i think they are totaly safe, more so than a car.
powerranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2001, 15:03   #10 (permalink)
Explorer Member

Being a woman and also an suv (god forbid an explorer) driver for the last 8 years - I must say - the drivers are the problem. Just as a gun is safe until it gets into the wrong hands - so is any vehicle.But you can't hop out of your BMW 325i and into an explorer and expect it to handle the same. You need to pay caution to the type of vehicle you really need and how it is meant handle. If you don't need a truck, don't buy one! An suv should not be a replacement for the family station wagon and surely cannot be driven like one. The problem is everyone trying to keep up with the Jones'. You need to have bigger and more expensive toys than your neighbor nowadays. I tow a boat, I travel to remote parts of Maine on unpaved and often washed out logging roads, and I've got a dog the size of a moose. I need a 4x4 truck. If all you need is a family hauler and want good traction - there are plenty of AWD station wagons that are easier to maneuver and cheaper to buy and drive.

As for the Explorer rollover problem: Having worked for FMC for 11 years and being in the line of fire when the load came down about the recall - I can tell you this...It's not the truck ... it's the tire, and the lack of maintenance provided by the driver...Chevy and Dodge have the same problem with the Firestones they used on their vehicles -- Ford happened to use them more than other brands and the Explorer being the most sold suv on the market - it really caused quite a raucous. I commend FMC for voicing their opinions and making an amazing effort to satisfy their customers - It was FMC that made Firestone investigate and come out with this problem. We were pulling tires of of brand new unsold vehicles to put on customers cars. FMC shut down one assembly plant to distribute tires allocated to that facility to dealers in the southernmost states where the demand was greatest. If it just so happened that Goodyear had the same issue - You'd be questioning Blazer and Tahoe roll overs - just as people do with the Explorers.

And now I'll let someone else climb up on the soap box!

"Life's too short to drive slow!"
My first name is Anne - was a Ford Dealer Service Manager for 11 years. Waiting for my new Expedition to come in (woo hoo!)
Sweens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub