SV8 vs ??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2002, 20:31   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

SV8 vs ???

The SV8 looks like a smart move by Holden. It will have the 235kw Gen 3,17s,sports suspension etc for about 40- 41k. Dont get me wrong i think BA kicks VYs butt but wheres our competitor?? I did not expect 47k for an XR6 T and therefore will not win those purely wanting more kw on a budget. No doubt it could affect SS sales too.
DR XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2002, 20:38   #2 (permalink)

XR6T $47k????

What a crock!!!!

The XR6T is nowhere near that!!!! Sure it ain't as cheap as an SV8, but then the SV8 is (if you get your head around the hype) and Exec with a body kit!!

XR6T will be more than an SV8, but it sure as hell ain't anywhere near $6k!!!!

Gotta remember you get what you pay for!!

XR6T, better suspension, better bearbox, more features, better use of technology!! It's definitely worth the money!!!
RICHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 20:47   #3 (permalink)
Ford Member

I think you should get around the hype and read what i said my matey!

Did'nt say its a better car but no point being neive either. They will attract buyers whether you like it or lump it.

CAN YOU PLEASE QUOTE WHERE I SAID ITS A BETTER CAR OTHERISE APOLOIGISE FOR TALKING CRAP.
Old 09-10-2002, 20:51   #4 (permalink)

Re: XR6T $47k????

Quote:
Originally posted by RICHO
What a crock!!!!

The XR6T is nowhere near that!!!! Sure it ain't as cheap as an SV8, but then the SV8 is (if you get your head around the hype) and Exec with a body kit!!

XR6T will be more than an SV8, but it sure as hell ain't anywhere near $6k!!!!

Gotta remember you get what you pay for!!

XR6T, better suspension, better bearbox, more features, better use of technology!! It's definitely worth the money!!!
But ostensibly not as quick! - 1694kg (more for turbo?) and 240KW won't cut it with a 1561kg car and 235KW.

Even the Boss Barra won't have the power to weight numbers to match the SV8 - though it's huge torque may hold sway.

As Dr XR says it was a smart move by Holden to bring this new level of performance car into the fold.
Old 09-10-2002, 21:06   #5 (permalink)
Formerly lowercase :-)

Insert Barra XT with V8 and Manual... There's your competition.... May not have the sporty wheels but will more then make up this in road handling!
MintEAFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 21:10   #6 (permalink)

Re: Re: XR6T $47k????

Quote:
Originally posted by Carby

But ostensibly not as quick! - 1694kg (more for turbo?) and 240KW won't cut it with a 1561kg car and 235KW.

Even the Boss Barra won't have the power to weight numbers to match the SV8 - though it's huge torque may hold sway.

As Dr XR says it was a smart move by Holden to bring this new level of performance car into the fold.
Firstly, apologies to DR XR, I was questioning your call on pricing and not bagging you at all. I was just trying to make the point that, that for the price difference that does happen, the XRT is a very competitive car. Trust me, the $$$ difference ain't $6-7k!!

Now

The SV8 is quote in the latest Motor mag, who drove the thing as being 1617kg, and sure BA is definitely not as light, by the time someone has taken the trouble to bring handling up to SS / XRT spec in terms of braking etc, it will weigh even more. Yes the SV8 will be a performance bargain, but the extra $$$ for XR6T can be easily justified, and for someone wanting entry level performance and planning vehicle mods, the XR6T has enormous potential!!

Have estimated weights below...

SV8 1617kg @ 235kw = 6.88 kg/kw
XR6T 1700kg @ 240kw = 7.08 kg/kw
XR8 1750kg @ 260kw = 6.73 kg/kw

It's definitely gonna be interesting to see how the cars compare!!! XR8 is looking good for being an absolute beast!! Based on the above numbers, should outperform the SV8, XR6T probably not (at least not without mods), but both Fords are likely to kill an SV8 through the twisties and wround any racetrack you care to mention!! Performance is more than just straight line speed, and Ford pay far more attention to the total package than Holden.
Old 09-10-2002, 21:23   #7 (permalink)
Darkside Intruder!

The SV8 weighs 1561kg, official stats from holden, dont worry what motor or wheels quote, the holden figures are the correct ones.
Therefor the SV8 at 235kw = 6.64kg/kw.

Remeber the XR8 has an extra 200 kg to throw around the twisties. lets just wait and see. It is looking t lot more even then you all first thought.
VXLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 21:29   #8 (permalink)

Believe Holden?!?!?!?!

After all, Holden have said that their cars have no significant quality issues!!

No.......I'll stick to the weights used by those testing the car, unless Holden outline the conditions under which they weighed it!!

On their website under vehicle specs they indicate that the weights are "estimated"......

And that doesn't seem to official to me!!
Old 09-10-2002, 21:32   #9 (permalink)
Darkside Intruder!

It is obvious you will beleive whatever makes the BA seem the better car. Accept the facts the SV8 has a better power to weight than the XR8. You cannot try and dispute the facts by saying i dont want to beleive it.

Which one of these magazines said the XR8 weighed 1550kg???
VXLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 21:33   #10 (permalink)
Ford Member

Thumbs up Re: Re: Re: XR6T $47k????

Quote:
Originally posted by RICHO

Firstly, apologies to DR XR, I was questioning your call on pricing and not bagging you at all. I was just trying to make the point that, that for the price difference that does happen, the XRT is a very competitive car. Trust me, the $$$ difference ain't $6-7k!!
No hard feelings mate

LS1 i fail to see anywhere where VY has lost bulk over VX let alone that much?

GTs weight does worry me a bit. Motor predict even with 320kw and 530nm it may only do 0-100kmh in 5 and a half secs. Should really get going after that though i spose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub