Swirl Marks!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2003, 05:06   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

Question Swirl Marks!!!

Gday

Just for my new 'Black' XR8 Ute a few days ago & decided to give her the first wash. I went out and brought myself a new shammy, sponge & car-wash. But still I ended up with swirl marks! What is the best way around this, or there isnt? Thanks!

Cheers

Memphis.
memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2003, 07:13   #2 (permalink)
spaced out

Re: Swirl Marks!!!

I have a black car as well its not ford but it dont matter.
i use Meguairs softwash gel, and the lambswool mit, i also keep it waxed.
im a meguairs fan so i use there products only. i will post my steps of a detail normally once a month.
wash using softwash gel and mit
quick trip around the block to get rid of water hiding in seal grooves.
dry with chamios
paint cleaner with foam pads and micro fibre cloth
polish with above
wax with above
yet another waxing.

i use different pads and cloths for each step. in between i use gold glass shampoo to wash the car with normally once a week, some times more depending onhow dirty the car is and when i have to work

Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 18:03   #3 (permalink)

Dont wash in a swirl pattern and you wont get swirls. Wash lengthways, up and down on the sides of the car, and back to front on the top.

Also dont use a sponge, preferably use a white 100% cotton towel.
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 18:13   #4 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

Did you spray the car with water first to rinse off any loose dirt?

IT IS IMPERRATIVE to pre soak the car thoroughly before applying the sponge. I made that mistake by not pre soaking the car and unfortunately where ever the sponge went so the swirl marks were. I cant stress this enough coz when you have swirl marks, there is no way of getting them out with out a respray. I tried cut&polish, buffing, everything to try and remove the swirls but to no avail. Man I was pissed off coz the paint on it was immaculate until then.

ALWAYS PRE-SOAK AND WASH OFF ANY LOOSE DUST OR DIRT BEFORE WASHING!!!
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 18:15   #5 (permalink)
Just give me an excuse...

afte 2 washes i got them and went to meguiars website and got a prescription...it outlined the products i would need to reduce them...and after a couple of months of washing they are starting to go, however deep ones will stay can't help that...
Old 11-26-2003, 21:22   #6 (permalink)

Wash it when the car surface is cool and in shade. This will reduce the time it takes for the car wash to dry on your car, leaving enough time to chamois it off before it leaves marks.
P'cisT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 21:32   #7 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

Yes that is a good point, I usually wash my car late in the arvo or early morning to avoid the heat of the day and watermarks burning into your clearcoat. Tap water is really bad for cleaning you car with because of the chemicals in the water, when that water dries, its almost acidic to the point that not even buffing can get water stains out from your duco.

WHEN WASHING YOUR CAR, CHAMOIS DRY IMMEDIATELY AFTER!!!
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 23:35   #8 (permalink)
X-DM!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin
Dont wash in a swirl pattern and you wont get swirls. Wash lengthways, up and down on the sides of the car, and back to front on the top.

Also dont use a sponge, preferably use a white 100% cotton towel.
I have had 2 black utes previously to the one I have now, and what Martin said does work. I have been washing this one cross ways with out swirling and it has made a big differance compared to my other 2.
rod c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 23:40   #9 (permalink)

When you wash a car the swirl marks come from the water drying to fast on the car via warm body panels. I read somewhere to put ice cubes in the water before washing the car to get the water as cold as possible. I haven't tried it yet but it might work?... and only wash, then rinse off one single panel at a time.
jonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 23:54   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Yes that is a good point, I usually wash my car late in the arvo or early morning to avoid the heat of the day and watermarks burning into your clearcoat. Tap water is really bad for cleaning you car with because of the chemicals in the water, when that water dries, its almost acidic to the point that not even buffing can get water stains out from your duco.

WHEN WASHING YOUR CAR, CHAMOIS DRY IMMEDIATELY AFTER!!!
Don't know where you live but if any drinking water were acidic, ph<7,(or alkaline, pH>7, for that matter) it would burn in your throat/stomach a hole only a surgeon could fix (slight exageration). Drinkable tap water will not harm your paintwork, but rather a grimey sponge, detergents that are harsh (often alkaline to aid grease removal based upon the original formulated requirement) lazy/el-cheapo detailers that do not use good quality buffing pads, using cutting compounds on new paintwork etc...A raw material suppliers guide I have stresses not to polish a new car using any product with abrasive components due to the damage on clear coats. It recommends using neutral detergents or car shampoos, waxing only, with a soft, non-abrasive wax-based product, washing out of direct sunlight or on hot bodywork, wetting quickly to remove any obvious larger solids and then washing and rinsing in small areas roughly as large as your arm spans to avoid detergent spotting, which a higher quality product will be designed to avoid and chamois drying (although I like the quick-spin-round-the-block method to "air dry" and dry out the brakes.

edit: just checked that you're based in Adelaide, blueoval, where your water is "harder" than most places except Qld. Melbourne and Tasmania have the softest water (low iron & mineral levels) and highest quality. If the same detergent was used in both QLD and Vic on the same identical soiled surface it would foam higher and clean better in Vic due to the softer water, hence a "good" chemical company would adjust their formulation for Qld destined products to add more water sequesterants and assist in boosting the cleaning properties...end of Industrial Chemistry 101, class dismissed...

Last edited by Curls; 11-28-2003 at 00:08.
Curls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub