Sydney Millenium Train - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2003, 19:04   #1 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Tongue Sydney Millenium Train

Ok it's not about cars but still has wheels and a motor non the less.

Well finally got a chance to go for a ride in the new Millenium train that is replacing the Tangara on the City Rail network.

Must say for a suburban train it's damn quiet. Can't even hear the motor windup during acceleration. All noise is mostly gone par the squeeks between the connection of the carriages. I have to go as far as saying that it's much quieter than even the XPT.
(I was alittle disappointed with the XPT in terms of speed and refinement had all sorts of noises comming from the wheels and suspension and brakes).

Inside theres alot of pre recorded voice informing what station it's approaching and when the train will depart with a host of beeps and warnings.
Overall it's good to see City Rail putting our ticket money to good use. Now all we need is for the Inter Urban trains to get new ones.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2003, 19:23   #2 (permalink)
Rollcage Crash Test Dummy

Death to the Red Rattler! what a POS ok so it served us well in the 60's 70' 80's 90's and I think after four decades it should stop there, we dont want refurbished bombs with painted seets, new floors and a paint job! Can anyone spell E-N-D-E-A-V-O-U-R? or even better M-I-L-L-E-N-I-U-M? hehehe well i guess not, its lucky being a politician doesnt need the entrance requirement of a Pass in English

Old 01-22-2003, 23:12   #3 (permalink)
You can do eeeit!

I'm not a big fan of the millenium train. I got on one at Circular Quay, damn near got off at St James. Ten minutes later I got off the train. Waited for the next train service home.

If I ever get on another one, I'll make sure I have a discman and play it at full volume.

3FB - The Official Site for cruising, eating and talking shite click here.

Member of the FPV-Tickford Club of NSW

3FB Mesh Bandit #2: 2002 AUIII XR6 HP _Oo===oO_
Dark_Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 07:24   #4 (permalink)
BIG FOOT

Where are you guys liveing
THE RED rattlers went out in 1993 last of them ran 1994
there is not one on regular service in Sydney left
only for special use.
a very few are left hiding inside a few S class sets but are form only 1965 onward. The rest of the System is old but still up to the job. If oyu lack at what it has to put up with day in and day out no Car could be in the same condition. We have all seen TAXIS
Go around Bankstown find one FORD FALCON TAXI in good condition. I cna pick one up for $5000 AU series 1 or 2 for $8000

The Tangar was built to replace the old Red Ratlers now the Millenium is here to remove a few left over early 70's models and beef up the rest of the system.

Yes in Newcastle they are still useing old 600/700 class railcars out to the hunter areas, but more endevour cars will be coming
As for the XPT it is proberly one of the most over run under serviced railcar sets going around in this country.
They have finally decided to replce the old english desiels with new Paxman crappy english one agian. Go fiqure.

Problem is in NSW most of our Rail system is taken for granted
XPT is used mostly my older passenger and most getting a massive discount. In fact be glad it's not privately run
I cna tell you know we still only pay for Approx 15% of actual cost to run the system.

I personally still love THE Interurban V class when they came in we gained some of the best trains we built with air-bag suspension and comfortable seating. Very well built construction

Yes the rail system need and upgrade but are you willing to pay for it ???
but then nothing increase size
like some BOOST
<a href="http://totalrpm.com/car.php?id=70">my car profile </A>
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 13:16   #5 (permalink)
Crikey

A bit in the know there rodhog, a rail fan are we?

My favourite sparkie was the interurban U sets. But I still have found memories of a 48 with a set of end platform cars going down the south coast and of course there was the CPHs from Sutherland too.

Have not had the pleasure of riding the millenium train but my brother who works for Clyde EDI says they are the ducks guts.
Blurter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 14:06   #6 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Quote:
Originally posted by rodhog

a very few are left hiding inside a few S class sets but are form only 1965 onward.
Yes i noted that on the odd suburban double decker trains running they fit the odd grey old carriage usually on the 3rd or 4th car which i reckon some of them were initially red but respray to the grey to as best as they can blend in with the silver double decker.

Roadhog,
Would you know when the Interburban especially the blue mountains like will be getting the new trains. Some of them though recently refurbished are really getting abit long in the tooth. They operated since 1978 from memory. I think they were nicknamed the "Blue Goose".

By the way it's great to see some of us car nuts taking a liking in trains.

Oh yeah i should say in regards to the XPT, i have to admit it's great value with my student concession i got a single ticket from Central to Tarree for just $27.00 thats in economy seating, but considering i can't think of any other transportation that will get me there for that price. But yeah the railways lines in the country are scary XPT had to slow down to like 20km/h to get through bridges etc. :oo1: :oo1:

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 14:12   #7 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

Very few are left? I'd argue that!! I travel on cityrail everday, there are countless 1965+ carriages left painted grey, with two usually in an 8 carriage train in positrions 2 and 7. So much for Tangara+Millenium carriages wiping out the old stuff.

Trains suck, but $42 is a lot cheaper than running my XR into work with fuel, tolls, parking fees and car maintenance.
Old 01-23-2003, 15:08   #8 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Quote:
Originally posted by Venom XR
Very few are left? I'd argue that!! I travel on cityrail everday, there are countless 1965+ carriages left painted grey, with two usually in an 8 carriage train in positrions 2 and 7. So much for Tangara+Millenium carriages wiping out the old stuff.

Trains suck, but $42 is a lot cheaper than running my XR into work with fuel, tolls, parking fees and car maintenance.
I've seen the same thing a lot, and agree with your comments.

One thing about trains - in both my last two addresses we have been subject to the noise of trains crossing metal bridges. How do they get away with it when jet skis are banned off the harbor and aircraft noise is such a big issue?

Living on the Sutherland line all I can say is trains are expensive, you never get a seat, you have to stand in crowded aisles, and they simply can't keep up with current demand. In fact I can't remember the last time I caught a train (except to the airport when catching a plane) because of the poor service.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 03:23   #9 (permalink)
BIG FOOT

Yes DO have ot agree with some points dpends on which lines service you
The system is over run with Cost cutting from the 1980's
yes a Rail fan in fact anything on rails or has a motor I am a fan of planes trained for QANTAS, and a member of the Railway Historical Society

Firts off I can let you know most of the rolling stock is form 1973 onward. So it's not that old considering the Indian's are stillusing stuff form the 1950's along with the former British Rail. But unlike cars, upgrading every ten years is not a very good economics
Plus I would like to note the great Aussie construction from Stainless steel., Unlike all these modern types with too much plastic in my opinion.

BUt as for your coment on Tulloch Trailer cars on the network you say, these are older tpye whihc some my remeber being simlar to the type used with the red ratlers well I can tell you only 57 and going down in number left on the network, Only 57 left form a massive network running in the largest City in Austrlaia.

XR_strider_guy the Blue mountains, have had them V class set for some time, I do know they are due for refurbishment, I think they are some of the best EMU (electic multipule units ) Going around. They do need some refurbishment on the interiors as they have only ever had the seats retrimed form hard wearing cloth to a Taxi style vinal. but the blue mountains use ot get the FISH and CHIPS in the older days all the way up to the 60's when single deck cars carried the name. The thing is when traffic was not so bad they carried 86 and it was very god seating now they have increased them to match the latter 80's models with 96 seats. For use during peck hour. Personally I would not look for better trians but better service. But with out cost cutting Maintence again we all know what happend at Granville.

Unfortunatly the XPT has ot share it's routes with frieght traisn and i nthe Rail game when it was all goverment control Frieght secodn XPT on time first. When National rail and now the Toll owned frieght system run Frieght is first XPT is a lonely 25th.

The line up north need massive restraightening. Meaning about 50million thorwn at it, just liek the Pacifc highway being rebuilt for quicker saffer travel.

Trians can only run as fast as the track that they run on. But no one seems to be worried about it. After all we all have cars and cars that are chocking the city and cuaseing polloution that is not needed . I am not talking aobut your sudnay drives but the thousands of trucks using the Highways day in day out with drivers with limited sleep and people going to and from work when public transpot could do it. If only we had the right system.

We use to have system in Peck hour where a trian would come every 3.5 mins in the city cirlce, this was in 1968. Now on a weekend you have to wait 30mins for a train 15 mins in non peck hour weekday and peckhour every 7.5mins(can be up to 11mins) . Which means if your train is the 3rd one coming you have to wait 22.5 mins. Think aobut if we ran the system like we did during the oylimpics, every 2mins a train would leave Homebush bay station, if that system was employed during peck hour in the city circle whiihc woudl then make it about 6 mins for all staions out side Sydenhan, Stratfield, and North Sydney.
I dont' think we would get too much over crowding.

We still have missing links in the system and I am not talking about new lines sure we need new ones, bu waht about ones never built. If you ever travle between Sydenhan and Redfern
One will notice ST.Peters and Erskineville has been built for two extra line to be put in. these were to be built be 1987 then on of the last state liberal goverment said 1994, then when Mr.Carr got in they built airport which was to remove some of the line shareing between the east hills and bankstown line. But it still has not solved any problems.

As for noise
You may complain about trains but they were there along time before you were. I use to live under the flight path of the east-west runway whe nthey used it love the noise of a 747 -400 coming in so use to it, Even had a few prop planes come in that way. Now there noisey.

I personally can only say if oyu don't like the noise move the trains and palnes were there a long time before you were. It's like moving next to a railway yard and saying they shoudl close it down at night, Why you moved in next to it. It didn't just build itself in the last ten days. THe Airport, railway yards and lines have been around a hell of alot longer then 75% of the people who live next to them. NOBODY complained for 70 years or more??
I live in Lakemba I don't complain about haveing 5000 flats planked all around my house, they were there before I was born.

I personally Think your crying like a baby becuase I ahte to say it you don't know what noise is. Live in my place for 1 week and you will think your noise is peace of mind. Try garrenteed Gun shots every night, and a few burnouts and BOV's an firecrackers (actually I let them off) But of course the Police sirens. There go two cars now down Canterbury road.
but then nothing increase size
like some BOOST
<a href="http://totalrpm.com/car.php?id=70">my car profile </A>
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 06:51   #10 (permalink)
You can do eeeit!

I also reckon trains suck in general. Fix the signals and timetables before we start blowing bells and whistles with the ducks guts millenium train.

3FB - The Official Site for cruising, eating and talking shite click here.

Member of the FPV-Tickford Club of NSW

3FB Mesh Bandit #2: 2002 AUIII XR6 HP _Oo===oO_
Dark_Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub