T Series write up in Drive.com.au - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2004, 00:41   #1 (permalink)
Dev 5 Mutant

T Series write up in Drive.com.au

Tickford TE50 and TS50
By David Morley
The Age
Tuesday July 20 2004

Tickford's take on HSV stars put performance Fords back in the running, writes David Morley.

Ford (and FPV) seems to have its performance act together these days with the dual-overhead-cam XR8 and the popular XR6 Turbo, but just a few years ago it wasn't as rosy a picture.

HSV was giving Ford's performance cars a hiding in the sales race, thanks to its Chevrolet-derived 5.7-litre V8. While Ford played around with its T-Series line-up of Falcon-based performance sedans, buyers decided the subtle styling cues and older V8 engine were not for them.

The AU Falcon in XR6 trim was doing OK, the XR8's 5.0 litres and 200 kW were seriously off the pace, and Ford -- or Tickford (as it was known) -- was in a bit of a spot.

The solution was to take HSV on at its own game, namely come up with a bigger-displacement V8 that could crank out some bigger numbers for the sales brochures.

So Tickford began local development of a version of the old Windsor 5.0-litre with a longer-throw crankshaft that stretched capacity to a much more marketable 5.6 litres.

It devoured more than a few development dollars, but as the ultimate interpretation of the old Windsor V8, the 5.6 took some beating.

Power jumped to 250kW at 5250rpm, and torque was a tugboat-like 500Nm at 4000rpm. From just above idle in the Ford there was a strong surge of torque that made the car very quick.

advertisement

advertisement
The car could trot around the suburbs using just third and fourth gears most of the time. But stir the engine up and it really started to hammer along, with performance similar to the best a current XR8 can deliver.

It was a good cruiser, too, and would be a welcome companion on any interstate jaunt, were it not for one thing: its incredible thirst.

Even driving sedately on the freeway, don't expect to use any less than about 12 or 13 litres per 100km. Around town, especially if heavy with the accelerator, you could easily see 20 litres per 100km as average consumption.

The engine's other big downfall was its vibration. Possibly because they were hand-assembled, some seem smoother than others, but even the best is noisy under load and fairly coarse during hard acceleration. Of course, for many owners of high-performance cars, a bit of noise and harshness only contributes to the involvement.

Transmission choices were a five-speed manual or four-speed automatic, and, given the massive torque available, the automatic is entirely viable.

The 5.6-litre engine was made optional in Tickford's TE50, a more upmarket, Fairmont-based TS50 and in the Fairlane-derived, long-wheelbase TL50.

Unlike the XR6 and XR8 versions of the AU Falcon, you don't get the quad headlight treatment, but you do get a more restrained presentation that is still different enough to separate the cars from their non-Tickford-badged relations.

Standard equipment was in line with the pricetag. The Tickford suspension tune gave the car enviable manners for such a big vehicle, although the ride can be choppy over short and sharp bumps.

But the steering is light and accurate and the big engines in the Tickfords were, and are, handy driver's cars.

Given its lighter weight (still a tad above 1700kg), the TE50 is the real performance tool, especially if you can find one with the Brembo brake package ($5000 more at the time) and a five-speed manual gearbox.

Whichever version you choose, the car will probably be one of the thousands affected by the recent Ford recall of a large chunk of its AU Falcon production. So check with the seller that the car has had the recall work done.

Other problems can include warped front brake rotors on cars without the optional Brembos, and the odd automatic transmission that might be reaching the end of its road.

What to pay

A TE50 with the big engine will still fetch around $30,000 to $40,000 and maybe even a bit more if it's fully optioned. The 5.6-litre engine doesn't seem to add a whole lot of value compared with the 5.0-litre, 220kW version, which is still all right in its own right. The better equipped TS50 is closer to $50,000 in its final, Series 3 form, which was also the AU Falcon's finest hour. The long-wheelbase TL50 is so scarce that it's worth precisely what somebody is prepared to pay for it.

The competition

In terms of big, powerful Australian sedans, only HSV's range of hot rods really comes close. But thanks to the Tickford's lesser reputation, it's the bargain of the two and, in many regards, the better vehicle.

Prices and details correct at publication date.
Cam install by Crescent Motorsport, Liverpool

Dyno

Timeslip
loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2004, 00:46   #2 (permalink)
Roll, Crash and Smash

Re: T Series write up in Drive.com.au

and?

AMBROSE CHAMPION AGAIN IN 2004
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 00:48   #3 (permalink)
Dev 5 Mutant

Thought it might be an interesting read.

Were you expecting the answer to the meaning of life ?

Dyno

Timeslip
Old 07-20-2004, 00:49   #4 (permalink)
Roll, Crash and Smash

in fact i was. The Monty Python movie wouldn't tell me so i thought you were going to!

I'm sorry, I will go away now.....

AMBROSE CHAMPION AGAIN IN 2004
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 00:55   #5 (permalink)
Dev 5 Mutant

And now for something completely different.

Its..........

Dyno

Timeslip
Old 07-20-2004, 01:10   #6 (permalink)

Interesting read.
Cheers John

"FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria"
If you have an XR6, XR8, T-Series or FPV vehicle (GTs) why not join.
Motorsport,Show n Shine,Cruise days,Factory tours,Special events
FPV and XR Owners Club of Victoria

www.fpvxrclub.com
Extra's Leather seats, Sunroof, Premium Sound, Satellite Navigation, Reversing Sensors,
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 08:19   #7 (permalink)
BSR Twin System (tm)

Interesting reading. Still buggered if I know why it took so long. Developing that engine for such a short run. Imagine if development had started in time for the EL Falcon GT (remember HSV were running stroker 5.0 Engines). Things may have been a bit different, and heaven forbid, Ford might have actually made some money and recouped their development costs on it.
Official BSR Website - www.bsrcorp.com
Poster of the 150,000th post!
BSR "DARTH HELMET (tm)"
Marcos Ambrose & SBR, 2003 & 2004 V8SUPERCAR Champions

****ADSLSUPERFASTP0RNPIPE (tm)****
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 08:30   #8 (permalink)
AUTS50 #012

Geez, the T's are still getting some attention..wonder why? There was a write up in Motor magazine a few issues back aswell. In conclusion, they went on to say that the best overall T-series car of choice was the TS50 with the 220Kw motor and not the 250Kw motor which surprised me a little, But who I'm I to argue?
012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 08:42   #9 (permalink)
{';'}

I still want one ... *Looks over towards AUGZMK's machine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
Eh Yagz, suck my left teste mate I'll have boost for $1k, even if it is only 1 pound.

Check my ride, HERE
XRated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 08:57   #10 (permalink)
AUTS50 #012

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
I still want one ... *Looks over towards AUGZMK's machine*
Don't even think about it buddy... got my ready if you do.. ..LOL..thanks
012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub