A Tale Of Two Ford powered GM H-Bodies (A Vega and Monza) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 03:35   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Lightbulb A Tale Of Two Ford powered GM H-Bodies (A Vega and Monza)

As a son of an owner of so many Fords who was also a former professional mechanic, I have been involved in so many auto projects with Ford products. But then one thing and another and a Vega and a Monza later, two GM cars powered by Ford engines came to be.

The first car to explain is the 1973 Chevy Vega, while most famous to V8 convert, this has undergone a unique V8 conversion. This conversion entails a roller 302 Windsor engine from a Lincoln Mark VII coupled to a Ford 3-speed automatic (C4 if I remember right) and the rear axle being 5 lug from a Granada (or a similar car). While a lot of careful fitting and stock appearing manufacturing took place, the only metal cutting done was to pie cut the transmission tunnel to accommodate the bigger transmission bell-housing which the mention cut was very small and easy to make stock appearing as well. The motor mounts are very basic as those are permanently welded halves to a 2X6 steel rectangular tubing with "L" cuts for the nuts for the motor mounts, the stock transmission mounting was able to be reused with minor modification. While fitting and keeping the car as stock as possible was quite a challenge on the drawing board, the end result is a Vega that looks like a typical V8 conversion until you open the hood... making this V8 conversion the most easiest V8 conversion to a Vega possible which was the intended goal as far as man hours, effort, and materials and tools used.

Next is the Monza which will be my first car and is undergoing a very unique conversion to Ford Pinto running gear, this car will be as stock appearing as possible as well. It will look very normal and unspectacular as the Ford 302 V8 Vega. More info about the Monza can be found in my garage on this forum! Have a great day everyone! I hope to snap photos of that Ford V8 Vega someday when I get the chance.
DaveFordMan93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub