TE50 tampered with - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2002, 03:34   #1 (permalink)
"Bloody Beautiful"

TE50 tampered with

I know some one has had this problem before but I cannot find the previous thread.

Today while at Greensborough Plaza or Northland shopping centre my TE50 had the door lock punched in with what looks like a screw driver. I noticed a rattle in the door when I drove off only to find when I looked outside that their was a hole where they keylock used to be.

Nothing had been taken, and I dont think they alarm had been set off so I'm sure they have not even opened the door.

Any way when I got home this arvo, pulled off the trim to rereive said keylock as the car would not lock in this condition.

As said in the previous thread the set up for these locks is damn shabby. The barrel is held in to place by knurled nut set in fromed into the plastic. The lock is attached to an arm that moves up and down to unlock or lock car. There is no strength at all in this set up and when you hit the keylock hard from the outside with say a screw driver it just breaks the nut out of the plastic allowing the keylock to fall down which in turn unlocks the car.

How easy is that.

Rang Ford and like all things the whole handle has to be replaced, $200.00 there abouts plus painting.

Any way pulled it all out had a look and thought I'll give this a go.

The plastic was actually all there just cracked, got the 5 min Araldite out glued it all back up and glued the nut back in with a tap of the hammer.

Then thought this is so easy it will happen again and I may not be as luck as this time.

The whole door handle attaches to the actual door skin by ywo bolts internally, one of these is very near to the bolt to hold the door lock, about 50mm away.

So I think why not have a steel bracket from this fixed point on the door up to the bolt on the door lock. Out with cardboard quick template, onto the CAD then out to the laser for a nice 2mm steel bkt that effectively suuports the door lock from the door skin as well as the plastic.

I'm not saying that its bullet proof but it will sure take a lot more grunt than the standard set up.

Sorry I've gone a bit here have'nt I. Next time you have your trim off have a look and it will make a lot mor sense. You could easily make these bkts up by hand if you wish.
TE50 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2002, 03:58   #2 (permalink)

BASTARDS!

oh man, that just pisses me off so much!

but hang on, haven't you got an immobiliser? even if they got into the car, they wouldn't be able to steal it just like that unless they have the equipment to disengage the immobiliser...
Old 01-25-2002, 04:38   #3 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

That happen to mates AU, he took it to ford and all they did was glue it in. They told him it was third one they had done that day...
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 04:51   #4 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Quote:
Originally posted by adviliax mortus
BASTARDS!

oh man, that just pisses me off so much!

but hang on, haven't you got an immobiliser? even if they got into the car, they wouldn't be able to steal it just like that unless they have the equipment to disengage the immobiliser...
Mate, that sucks badly. Sorry to hear the news mate. Seems us ford forum guys have copped some bad luck lately.

Yeah what advilliax said is true, and i guess Ford can engineer a stronger handle but in my opinion theres no need. Anyone can get in the car ie brick through the window. I'd rather a stuffed handle/lock than a broken window or bent door frame.

As long as imobiliser works then for me the least amount of damage to the car is better.

Just my though.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 05:43   #5 (permalink)

Who uses the door locks anyway? Since ive had my car I havnt....

Just get some rear door handles which have no lock and replace the fronts with them.
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 06:06   #6 (permalink)
JOHNSXR6

Tongue HMMMMM LET ME SEE!!!!!!

Just weld a skin over all door handles and paint them the same colour as the car (RETRO LOOK) then they will need a Kenworth to get in, totaly write your car off and then you can update to a newer model with your insurance money! WIN WIN SITUATION!!
But dont loose your remote will you LOL!
johnsxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 14:03   #7 (permalink)
BSR

Do what Wasa did, put rear door handle onto the front. But make sure you do something with the battery incase it goes dead or open circuit.

12/03 FPV GT 725
XLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 18:38   #8 (permalink)
BAD BSR BOY WITH THE LENS

Thumbs up no locks

F..K them right up

no locks left to play with
had the same happen on my nf fairlane so when i got my ts ive just had the drivers side (it was the only one ) lock removed

end of problem , no more f... king hole for there screw driver
yes need to do something else re flat battery
'

if you want details PM me
wasa
Old 01-25-2002, 19:00   #9 (permalink)
Mmm, high pressure wash.

Wasa, I'm really interested in this as well, so I've sent you a PM.
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 20:33   #10 (permalink)
gone

This sounds like a great idea

I have diabled the locking mech on my door, but the rear door handle skin is the go!

And after seeing wassa's car, a must!
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub