Telstra Broadband - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2002, 18:02   #1 (permalink)

Telstra Broadband

Hey guys, i've taken the bigstep and decided to get rid of my dialup access for adsl. Couple of questions I have however -

self installation with a 4 port modem $189
pro installation with a 1 port modem $189
pro installation with a 4 port modem $something ridiculous

Does anyone know how hard the self installation is? and is it worth the 4 port modem? or let them install the the 1 port modem for the same price??

I reckon I would be fine with the self installation at the computer end but a little worried about installing the splitter box. Having never attempted it before im afraid I might make a mistake.

And if I have to call telstra for help, i only get 3 chances, then they charge me an extra $180. :hrm: :hrm:

Cheers
Matt
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2002, 18:39   #2 (permalink)
Mmm, high pressure wash.

I would have thought that Telstra (or a licensed technician) must install the splitter box. I was under the impression that if you're not Austel certified you are not allowed to touch the wiring. Unless the splitter box plugs into your wall plug and gives you another phone plug and ADSL socket.

However, connecting the actual modem to the wall and to the PC shouldn't be too much of a drama if you know something about computers and networks.

If the 4 port modem is the same price as the 1 port then get the 4 port. That way you'll be able to hook up more computers in the future or friends if they come over for a LAN game or whatever.

If you have absolutely NFI about any of it then it might be better to just get telstra to do it.

EDITTED to fix my crappy spelling!
Off-white EL Series II Falcon GLi Sapphire (4.0L Slothmatic™) with K&N Filtercharger, Tickford Sports Suspension, DBA Longlife Gold (front), DBA Longlife Slotted (rear) and Bendix Ultimates all round. Driven by The Slothman™.

Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, or the Ford Forums Food Bandits, where cruising, eating and talking shite is what it's all about. Click here to visit the official (albeit slightly outdated) website!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team GT Media
We love having 3FB Inc guys around!
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 21:58   #3 (permalink)
Enjoying the Ride

I got the 1 port and am getting a netgear wireless adsl router.
http://www.ht.com.au/Scripts/xworks.exe?PART:C5223#Tof

It connects to bigpond via my adsl connection and can have up to 4 network cable connected devices and 30 wireless connected devices. If you are going to buy one - order it from the US at just over $100 US. You can then get a power supply from netgear here for around $50.

As for the install - the telstra technician did all the cable work and I configured my machine myself.
Old 05-29-2002, 01:50   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

get the 4 port and do it yourself .. I did it and although the software telstra supplies is crap once you get it working its easy to make a few changes.
I now have 4 machines hanging off the modem (well - another hub attached to it ). There are a few advantages of the 4 port.. 1st and foremost it uses NAT (Network Address Translation) which in a nutshell makes it hard for hackers to get a fix on your IP ... the modem is actually a router of sorts and if you are any good (which I aint) you can make it do all sorts of things.
I understand the 1 port is just a modem...
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 01:51   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

duh.. it has to be set up at the exchange so don't wprry about splitters.. all you need is a spare phone line and some filters to get rid on the 'noise' that the adsl signal makes....
Old 05-29-2002, 02:17   #6 (permalink)

Just been made available in my area. Will look into it but seem's expensive to me
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 02:28   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

it is expensive but I won't go back by choice....
Old 05-29-2002, 02:33   #8 (permalink)
Motorbike rider

You need a splitter if you only have the 1 phone line and intend to use for voice and ADSL, it splits the high frequency adsl communication from the relatively low frequency of voice.
EAFGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 02:43   #9 (permalink)

Got a call from telstra today and there gonna install it all in a couple of weeks. 12 / jun. What I really liked was i asked what time it will be, and they said between 7am and 12 noon. hehe

Luckily for them I don't have much planned for that day so I might as well not bother with it too much. I'm looking heaps forward to the extra speed im gonna get. From 56k to 512k, it should be wicked!!!!

I decided to let them do it cause i don't have any real need for a 4 port modem. Unless you are meant to get heaps more speed or something, which i doubt I wont worry bout it. Although XA coupe said

Quote:
There are a few advantages of the 4 port.. 1st and foremost it uses NAT (Network Address Translation) which in a nutshell makes it hard for hackers to get a fix on your IP ...
Should this be a real concern of mine?? All valuable data is always kept on removable media, and is never left on the computer. Besides that, does windows XP's built in firewall offer enough protection??

Anyway thanks for all the replies guys...

Matt
Old 05-29-2002, 07:23   #10 (permalink)
On The Edge Of Adhesion

Broadband, would love to have it, not available in my area(20km from Townsville in a fairly highly populated area)
V8RUMBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub