Are there things on cars you just can't understand? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2002, 16:04   #1 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Age: 65
Posts: 1,120
Are there things on cars you just can't understand?

I've got a clear idea of how an engine works, except for hydraulic lifters. I know what they do. I've pulled them apart, cleaned them, and reassembled them plenty of times. I know what all the bits look like. I've read the manuals and looked at the diagrams. But I still can't quite grasp how they work. Don't bother trying to explain it, because I know the theory. For some reason I just can't convert it into a working model in my mind. I've got a better idea of how black holes work than lifters.

Anybody else have this problem on anything?
EA S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-21-2002, 17:30   #2 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Sydney, Oz
Age: 34
Posts: 2,631
there are a lot of things on cars i can't understand... pretty much anything under the car, or under the bonnet remains a mistery to me. i know how things work, but the details elude me to this day. i guess i don't pay much attention and can't be bothered.
__________________
<p align="center"> *** just because it sells it doesn't mean it's good *** </p>
Tickford Owners Club of NSW
MrPlow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 18:05   #3 (permalink)
Ford Member!
 
Des Curly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Between Three Padded Blue Walls (Me!bourne)
Posts: 32
Clutch-based LSDs. I get viscous LSD's, but not how LSDs with clutches work. ALso, i'll probably get bagged for asking, but hey, i'm new to this all, so, what is a stroked engine? I'm assuming its not simply one that has an overly amorous owner. Also, i'm not fully down with automatic transmissions (the dual planetary gearing confuses me).
__________________
<HTML><B>Sparkling Burgundy EL Fairmont I6</b>
Mods: <I>Black PVC Towball Cover (reduces towball drag by 95%<B>!</b><SMALL><SUP>*</sup></small>)</i>
<SMALL><SUP>*</sup>approximation only according to subjective tests carried out by user.</small>
</html>
Des Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 18:12   #4 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Age: 65
Posts: 1,120
Quote:
Originally posted by Des Curly
Clutch-based LSDs. I get viscous LSD's, but not how LSDs with clutches work. ALso, i'll probably get bagged for asking, but hey, i'm new to this all, so, what is a stroked engine? I'm assuming its not simply one that has an overly amorous owner. Also, i'm not fully down with automatic transmissions (the dual planetary gearing confuses me).
I understand "stroked" to mean increasing the stroke (length of travel) of the piston to increase the amount of fuel/air in and compression, with obvious results. Don't know if it means something else as well.

And I have absolutely no idea how an auto trans might work, nor the least desire to find out. Never owned one and don't intend to.
EA S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 18:16   #5 (permalink)
Code Monkey
 
kinobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brisbane
Age: 33
Posts: 647
i have a basic idea on most things but thats about the limit of my abilities....
kinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 19:06   #6 (permalink)
MkII Cortina Owner
 
Prud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Sober in the Lucky (Newcastle)
Age: 36
Posts: 529
Hey,

Gearboxes.

To me a mystery - when they stop working, I buy another one from the wreckers. Especially when Escort ones could be had for $50 ono. I've pulled em apart, studied drawings etc, but they still make no sense.

Aaah, as long as it works - or replaceable, not too stressed about them.

L8a,
Prud
__________________
"Be sure to leave your underpants with someone you can trust"
Prud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 19:17   #7 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power
 
Jase_ELXR8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,764
Quote:
Originally posted by Prud
Hey,

Gearboxes.

To me a mystery - when they stop working, I buy another one from the wreckers. Especially when Escort ones could be had for $50 ono. I've pulled em apart, studied drawings etc, but they still make no sense.

Aaah, as long as it works - or replaceable, not too stressed about them.

L8a,
Prud
easy.... big gear, little gear. There's nothing to them....
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 19:17   #8 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator
 
XR_Strider_GuY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: 3Fb Skunk Works(JXR01 Dev)
Age: 34
Posts: 6,542
Re: Are there things on cars you just can't understand?

Quote:
Originally posted by EA S
I've got a clear idea of how an engine works, except for hydraulic lifters. I know what they do. I've pulled them apart, cleaned them, and reassembled them plenty of times. I know what all the bits look like. I've read the manuals and looked at the diagrams. But I still can't quite grasp how they work. Don't bother trying to explain it, because I know the theory. For some reason I just can't convert it into a working model in my mind. I've got a better idea of how black holes work than lifters.

Anybody else have this problem on anything?
Funny thing you mentioned abotu lifters, was talking to a few people about them and people thought i was on drugs when i said they exist in Inline 6 OHC Falcon engines. But gotta admit i can't picture it how they work.
As what a few people mentioned an overhead cam engine is driven by a gear and and a cam chain, some how the lifters are still there from teh OHV days. :oo1: :oo1:
__________________
Motor May 2001 Quote: "Believe it or not, there are actually a bunch of weirdos out there who reckon a six cylinder is the dux gutz. Bugger it: I'm one of them" :s5

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 19:29   #9 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Age: 65
Posts: 1,120
Re: Re: Are there things on cars you just can't understand?

Quote:
Originally posted by EF_Falcon_GuY


Funny thing you mentioned abotu lifters, was talking to a few people about them and people thought i was on drugs when i said they exist in Inline 6 OHC Falcon engines. But gotta admit i can't picture it how they work.
As what a few people mentioned an overhead cam engine is driven by a gear and and a cam chain, some how the lifters are still there from teh OHV days. :oo1: :oo1:
Strictly they're called lash adjusters on the OHC as their function is related to, but different from the old pushrod lifters. See, I know everything about lifters, except how the bloody things actually work.

BTW, OHC and pushrod are both OHV (overhead valve), as distinct from old side valve.
EA S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 19:40   #10 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Age: 65
Posts: 1,120
Quote:
Originally posted by Jase_ELXR8


easy.... big gear, little gear. There's nothing to them....
Maybe not for you. I'm with Prud. Input and output shafts I understand, it's only the bits in between that are confusing.
EA S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford US auctions Concept Cars Aussie Falcon Ford Worldwide News 5 10-27-2003 02:17
10 most significant cars and 5 worth forgetting Stacy94PGT Ford Worldwide News 12 07-31-2003 08:00
TALK FROM THE TOP: Ford Motor CEO cuts costs, not product Stacy94PGT Ford Worldwide News 0 11-18-2002 09:35
Things to be aware of when looking at cars to buy NZ The Showroom 19 09-12-2002 23:32
Horsepower race raging among automakers (US story) Falchoon The Pub 0 05-27-2002 21:24

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:40.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.