There's a fine line between "If it aint broke don't fix it" and ....... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2002, 04:14   #1 (permalink)
falconS

There's a fine line between "If it aint broke don't fix it" and .......

Theres a fine line between "if it aint broke dont fix it" and advancing the technology of a car BEFORE it becomes yesterday's hero.

If your wondering what the hell i am referring to it is this piece of info I read in either MOTOR or WHEELS.

It stated that nissan MAY stop using the _______ (superb, brilliant, spectacular, triumph of Japanese technology, amazing, {insert words of praise here} twin-turbo 2.5 I6 engine that has been used in the GT-R in favour of a Nissan V8 for the all new R35 GT-R next year. (what the....?)

now, you tell me why the hell Nissan would want to change to a V8 for the GT-R?!?!?! This maganifcent beast was rated by WHEELS as better than the Porche 911 turbo but about 100K cheaper. It thrusts the GT-R to 100ks in 4.4 seconds!

i am sure that it will no doubt be a spectacular V8 if it is deemed a worthy successor of the 2.5 twin turbo, but its just not right! It would be like putting a V8 in a porche 911 (oh wait, they did that but jacked up and called 'cayenne') or turbo I4 in a Falcon GT. the GT-R has always been a twin-turbo 2.5 and thats the way it should stay! if BMW can get M3 performance out of it's I6 without turbo-charging it than why dont nissan put the bucks into making the current engine even better (if that is physically possible)

the major problem i can see with the use of a V8 in the GT-R is not lack of power but uneven handling. WHEELS stated that they thought that the GT-R was one of the best handling cars they have ever driven, mainly due to its superb balance and AWD plus HICAS 4-wheel steering. Now, if your consider the extra bulk of a V8, then you would assume that translates into extra weight. Extra weight up front upsets the car's balance so they will have to
add weight to the back to even it out. All of a sudden the GT-R has gained 400kgs and is only pulling 5.5 0-100 times.

anyway, in my opinion, the GT-R engine isn't a case of "if it aint broke, dont fix it" but rather "it aint broke but lets just refine it, not replace it"

signing off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skyline3.jpg (25.4 KB, 219 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2002, 04:28   #2 (permalink)
JR
Editor on P Plates

I thought Nissan had shit-canned the idea of a V8 in the GT-R due to both cost and weight issues.
Editor: Street Fords Magazine - Issue #1 on sale MARCH 2005
E-mail: jr@streetfords.com

Co Founder: 3FB Inc.
To see my old BA Falcon XR6, click HERE
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 04:39   #3 (permalink)
falconS

thank-you JR for that info. You have somewhat put my mind at ease, i just hope your right!
Old 12-09-2002, 04:41   #4 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

if they have then good, because (and apologies for all the V8 people out there!) 6 cylinders in a row are a good and Righteous arrangement for an internal combustion engine, and it would be sacralige to even think of putting a dirty big V8 where a TT I6 used to live!!

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 05:04   #5 (permalink)
falconS

here-here (or is that hear-hear?)
Old 12-09-2002, 05:07   #6 (permalink)
falconS

to be honest, i am a real ford freak, but when i finish uni in a couple of years, i am gonna have a mighty hard time tossing up between a BA XR6T and an R33 GT/T or GT-R Skyline. The Skyline is just such a good drivers car and has loads of visual appeal plus they are dead easy to mod.
Old 12-09-2002, 06:59   #7 (permalink)
Dreamer

the GTR actually uses a 2.6L engine, which is MUCH stronger than the GTS-t 2.5L engine.

As for them fitting a V8 into the R35 engine, good on them, nothing beats displacement. You say its going to weigh the car down more, well not if its an all alloy block (which it most likely will be)...

Its about time they got a new engine happening, the RB26DETT is around 12yrs old now. Its time to move on...
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 10:58   #8 (permalink)
کhậ۴ţ

Nissan are not stupid.

That's all i have to say.

shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 16:16   #9 (permalink)
Ford Member

I can't belive they are just going to chuck the RB series of engines.. I wonder if Proton or Daewoo will pick up the tooling?!!

I can't see the V6 from the current skyline being adiquate for the GT-R even if its turboed..

The 2.6 could handle boost and revs.. the 3.5L V6 cant do either.. What you want is a engine that can spin to 9000 rpm and beyond and also take 2.0 bar of boost.

It would have been nice if they had made some interesting final RB engines like a Twin cam 3.0L twin turbo or something..

It would nice to see a GTR version of the ford I6.. Say destroked to 3.5L and red line set at 8000 rpm, a bit more boost added...

The problem with the RB is that they are so old.. nearly 20 years old, which is ancient for a japanese engine.. long and iron..

What they should do is make a Mega gt-r, join those two I6's at the crank and make a 5.2L quad turbo V12.... 600 kw should do it...

The Nissan v8 isn't a bad thing.. and can be stroked and bored to over 6.0L!!! also have a pretty high red line.. 8000 rpm..

I hear that the next GT-R was ment to break into the 11's for the quarter.. electric drive at the front wheels..
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 16:46   #10 (permalink)
falconS

this from MOTOR May 2002:

"Nissan's twin-turbo V6 or nat-atmo V8 debate for 2004 R35 GT-R will be resolved within the month. Insider info says the turbo 3.5-litre V6 producing around 335kW will get the green light for reasons of weight and size. A traditional six-speed manual and an eight-speed CVT-based transmission are hotly rumoured."

Seems like i was right about the weight being an issue in the V8, but still, it seems like no matter what, the R35 wont be using a I6. Thats a real shame, especialy seeing as the R35 GT-R concept was such a sexy beast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gt-r1.jpg (17.9 KB, 124 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub