Thirsty Monaro - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2002, 23:52   #1 (permalink)

Thirsty Monaro

From the Canberra Times

The Holden Monaro is officially a ''gas guzzler''.

Accelerated plans to export the V8 Monaro to the US as the Pontiac GTO mean that the coupe will be the first car sold by General Motors since 1994 to be subjected to the so-called ''gas guzzler'' tax.

This federal tax penalises any passenger car - but not a pick-up truck or ''sport-utility vehicle'' - which achieves an average fuel consumption lower than 22.5mpg (12.5 litres/100km) by adding thousands of dollars to its list price. The V10 Dodge Viper, for instance, cops a $US3000 ($A5360) ''gas-guzzler'' tax.

Fuel consumption tests conducted to Australian standards show the V8 automatic Monaro with its 225kW engine returns an average 13.0 litres per 100km (21.7mpg) during city driving, and 8.0 litres/100km (35.3mpg) during country driving.

However, it's not the 225kW engine that the US market wants.

''For a car to be credible, accepted as a rebirth of the rear-drive American muscle car, it has got to have that rocket-sled acceleration off the line,'' Bob Lutz, GM's vice chairman for product development, said at a media event in Munich, Germany.

This suggests Lutz wants the Pontiac GTO to produce the higher rate of power provided by the Holden Special Vehicles version of the Monaro: 255kW.

Holden can't make that happen because to achieve the desired economies of scale it has to build the US cars ''on line'' at its South Australian plant.

If Lutz is adamant about his Pontiac's power numbers, Holden may be forced to ship the cars to the US with their ''standard'' engines, then have power-lifting modifications performed there.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2002, 23:59   #2 (permalink)
Shhh, we're hunting Lions

The 03 Cobra suffers from this also, but when you have 390hp (underrated) I think this is to be expected.
Adam W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 00:27   #3 (permalink)

Any one that buys a V8 with 350 plus horsepower and then worries about fuel economy is a bit silly. Lutz also said 350 hp or 262 kw will be the minimum for the GTO, it could also get the LS6 402 hp.
ls1vx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 00:33   #4 (permalink)
Shhh, we're hunting Lions

Quote:
Originally posted by ls1vx
Any one that buys a V8 with 350 plus horsepower and then worries about fuel economy is a bit silly. Lutz also said 350 hp or 262 kw will be the minimum for the GTO, it could also get the LS6 402 hp.
I agree, it really annoys me when people sulk about the fuel economy of their V8, if you are that worried by a toymotor Prius.
Adam W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 03:06   #5 (permalink)
Interloper from LS1.com

The Corvette doesn't get the gas guzzler tax as it has a 1st to 4th skip shift for the 6 speed when you aren't giving it the onions to save gas - solenoid forces a shift from 1st to 4th.

That's how the got around it. Also the reason why cylinder deactivation is being looked at seriously.
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 03:11   #6 (permalink)
400 kg ego

I think it would make sense if ultra-low-volume cars were excluded from the gas guzzler tax. Ironically even the Honda Insight would fit into this category...

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 03:23   #7 (permalink)
Kodak Moment

Re: Thirsty Monaro

Quote:
Originally posted by Falchoon
From the Canberra Times

If Lutz is adamant about his Pontiac's power numbers, Holden may be forced to ship the cars to the US with their ''standard'' engines, then have power-lifting modifications performed there.
Hang on, what's the point of importing the engines here only to send them back again???? Why don't they just send the car with no engine and have it fitted over there with whatever they want.
marine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 08:26   #8 (permalink)
4WD Jockey

we are talking about GM here, no brains mate....no brains
LoverBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 17:28   #9 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

Re: Re: Thirsty Monaro

Quote:
Originally posted by marine1

Hang on, what's the point of importing the engines here only to send them back again???? Why don't they just send the car with no engine and have it fitted over there with whatever they want.
Ohh, der, how do you get it on the boat, you tool?
IIV8II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 17:30   #10 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Adam W

I agree, it really annoys me when people sulk about the fuel economy of their V8, if you are that worried by a toymotor Prius.
I got 9.3L/100km out of a 300 this week... my old Rice only did 7s and it was less than 1/3 the capacity!
IIV8II is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub