Thoughts on QuickTrak - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2003, 03:46   #1 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

Thoughts on QuickTrak

Just after anyone that has QuickTrak fitted to their cars.

Approx prices, thoughts or comments on it will be appreciated as I'm thinking of having it fitted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2003, 04:31   #2 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

Re: Thoughts on QuickTrak

I looked into ti when I was looking at buying Russ' TE50. For around $1800 installed, plus an ongoing fee of around $360 per year for monitoring etc, I reckon it is cheap piece of mind.

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 04:53   #3 (permalink)
freelance

The GPS/GSM based systems might be a little better if you move very far from the CBD.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 04:58   #4 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
The GPS/GSM based systems might be a little better if you move very far from the CBD.
They would be, but are insurance companies as accepting of them as they are of QuickTrak. When I looked at the TE50, AAMI insisted I get QuickTrak, even though there is no coverage in Canberra!

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)

Last edited by JC-XR8; 11-29-2003 at 05:03. Reason: Speklling
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 05:07   #5 (permalink)
freelance

I am working on it! Insurance basically "wont touch" or more correctly "aren't interested" in sstems which report directly to the owner. You need 3rd part monitoring from a grade 1 monitoring service ant the insurance companies will begin taking notice.

QuickTrax is a good product but it does have it limitations. Contact your nearest REX club, (most of these guys cant insure without monitoring) you'll get a mixed response.

I'd generalise and say QT works well within Sydney and Melb but is lees than flash outside these areas. A radio based system will always be limited in range
Old 11-29-2003, 06:18   #6 (permalink)
spaced out

A mates brother had a 300kw GTS, he had some type of monitoring system on/it for insurance reasons, apperently he couldnt go into/park in covered car parks, the large type found at shopping centres, as the signal would be lost, and the car would not be covered by insurance if it was stolen when no signal was been displayed.
Im not sure if this was Quick Trak or some one else,
Yes it can be defeated quite easy, Jamie XR6 give me a pm and i will tell you how it can be done, if you want to know.
Remember it is only a anti theft deterent, that has good chance of return of the vechile, be it with the panels kicked in cause they could only drive/push it a few metres down the road.

Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 12:31   #7 (permalink)
freelance

No system will give full coverage in deep basements underground carparks etc. Not QuickTrax, not GSM. The secret is in how, when, and to who the system reports to.

The level of protection/detection is relative to the purchase price almost anything is possible but at a price.

The real advantage of a good tracking system is just that "tracking", you may not get signal from a basement but you will get alerts on the journeys too and from the basement. The system need to be well hidden and unannounced.

When parked within signal range it is impossible for the system to be ripped out/disabled befor it has sent out at least some alarm messages.

Nothing is impossible to beat, but a tracking system will offer the maximum chance of actual capture and arrest of these car lifting vermin. (racial stereotype witheld.)

There is more than one means of remotely diabling a vehicle and the better tracking system can activate these remotely at any time. Mr Plod has a dim view of killing a vehicle moving on a public road however.

If you have ever had a car lifted from you, you will often find it does not simply dissapear and is often driven for some time until fenced, stripped or destroyed.

Some of the system I have had offered from South Africa take the level of deterrent to a new level. Remotely activated pepper spray was one, the guy just couldn't understand when I told him you cant sell that kinda thing here in Australia.
Old 11-29-2003, 17:54   #8 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
Some of the system I have had offered from South Africa take the level of deterrent to a new level. Remotely activated pepper spray was one, the guy just couldn't understand when I told him you cant sell that kinda thing here in Australia.
That would be awesome - remote pepper spray...
Old 11-29-2003, 21:19   #9 (permalink)
freelance

I'll find you the website! :>
Old 11-30-2003, 00:38   #10 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper
Yes it can be defeated quite easy, Jamie XR6 give me a pm and i will tell you how it can be done, if you want to know.
Thanks for the offer but I won't be needing to know that.

There are some interesting points in this thread. I only looked into Quicktrak for the issue of insurance. I was looking at buying a GT and AAMI was getting a little worried about insuring me without it.

I've just placed an order for a XR6T and they are quite happy for me not to have it installed so I guess I'll go without.

I'm never too far away from my car and very carefull with where I park it. These measures will never be a sure fire way of stopping car thieves but I guess that nothing is. There will aways be a way around any measure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub