Tickford and AV - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2002, 21:07   #1 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

Tickford and AV

Just thought I'd start a thread on people's opinions as to what we might see from Tickford in regards to the new AV Falcons.

Over the last 12 months, we've seen a shift in Tickford from a luxury-performance orientated outfit to one more focused on hipo performance. Had the market not been so horsepower conscious, I think the AU T-Series would have been a greater success than they were. Having seen a few T-Series, such as Wasa's and Laminge's beasts, they did do a grand job on those cars.

T3 gives us an idea of what Tickford are capable of - the best Windor-based engine released from a dealership ever and the best looking non-AU XR by a country mile. With the new 5.4l V8 in their expert hands I'm sure we'll see the best yet to come.

With Ford expected to unveil a superior looking car, with loads of extras features, improved refinement and killer engines, Tickford have a much better base car to work with.

Reality tells us the horsepower war is on in ernest - it's not just Holden vs Ford either, look at the power battles BMW and Mercedes are having, including their performance arms as an example. Expectations of a wild GT are high and I'm sure most of us have fingers crossed for a return of the legendary GTHO, and I'm fairly confident if such a car is unleashed it will be worthy of those 4 letters.

Apparantly Ford US have told Ford Aus to not just match Holden, but to try and predict a few years ahead and match that - a tall order I think but well within reach, and should mean some very good cars in the near future. September is looming closer all the time, and I can't wait to see what they come up with.
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2002, 21:12   #2 (permalink)
My name is Forrest....

I've heard a few rumours about a turbo'd V8 mmmmmmm......
Old 01-18-2002, 02:24   #3 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

things are getting better and better for ford Australia. for tickford Australia to be able to match and get attention from car magazines and buyers, competing 5 litre engine against a 5.7 one, but still able to match it and in my opinion more usable lower rpm torque, I'm sure when things are EVEN ,give tickford an equivalent capacity engine to holden and watch them do wonders.
the 195kw r8 could not beat the 185kw auI xr8 ,neither in speed or control. same story will go for the 5.4
Holden got couple of years to think they're better, but I believe if their product was that good, it should've wiped tickford away, it didn't and it won't.

I'm becoming passionate now with tears in my eyes: Go Tickford:)
ayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 03:12   #4 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

Quote:
Originally posted by Jesmol
I've heard a few rumours about a turbo'd V8 mmmmmmm......
I read that it was a turbo XR6 about 210kw, and the base car (forte?) was going to be around 180kw.

The AV needs to look sporty from the base model up. I think that's why Holden did so well, even the executive had a low, squat look about it. The poor old Forte I think, didn't look too bad, but it seemed to sit too high off the road.
Old 01-18-2002, 03:35   #5 (permalink)
Australian Member

If Ford contiunue the trend, the AV will be very good for those of us who remember when Ford sold cars that not just set the performance benchmark, but everyone wanted to own.

Unfortunately I think that making the best car is only half of the battle. The latest Motor magazine gave the new T3 the thumbs up over the Clubsport R8 by a big margin. Does that mean the Clubsport will stop outselling the T3 by something like a 10:1 margin? Not a chance.

The real problem is winning over the entire generation of people who have now grown up with the Holden culture. If they bring back something worthy of the GTHO (or even GT) name and start to string a few wins together on the race track then that will be a good start.

While at one level most people know a V8 supercar bears nothing really in common with its donor car, it doesn't stop mr average whacking a body kit and 17" wheels on his executive and thinking he is M.Skaife.

Even if Ford do everything right now, I reckon it will still take 5-10 years for them to reverse the marketing and brand awareness job that Holden have done so well.
XC_GS_351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 03:45   #6 (permalink)
JEM
Future XR Owner

I really think its alot simpler than this. Sure, FORD need success in V8Supercars to enhance their image amongst the young generation, but I think the majority of sales was simply lost because of the look of AU and its backward step in interior quality, it was branded the ugly duckling by media and has since not recovered.

If AV is pleasing to the eye, has the features and substantial upgrades expected then sales will be right back up there in no time....
JEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 04:06   #7 (permalink)
BAII XR6T Driver!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamie XR6

I read that it was a turbo XR6 about 210kw, and the base car (forte?) was going to be around 180kw.

Yeah thats what I have read a few times as well. 180kw for the base car and up to 210-220kw for the Turbo XR6. Me thinks that then the XR8 will have to be at least 230kw prob 240kw. Therefore leaving the T-Series cars to get around 260-270kw. Then if they build a GT or something along those lines it will be 300+.

Bit of a theme there, all cars more powerful than Holden / HSV equivilents.

Sounds very promising doesn't it. The base Forte to get 180kw with a new lighter IRS system. Therefore in my opionion it looks like a base Forte will be quicker than the current XR6's (standard off course).

"Holden can you smelllllll what Ford is Cooking?"
Old 01-18-2002, 04:15   #8 (permalink)
JEM
Future XR Owner

There's no use comparing rumoured AV power figures to current Holden figures. Obviously holden know whats going on and they'll be upping the power too. I still think it will be a close call between them.
JEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 04:23   #9 (permalink)
BAII XR6T Driver!

Quote:
Originally posted by JEM
I really think its alot simpler than this. Sure, FORD need success in V8Supercars to enhance their image amongst the young generation, but I think the majority of sales was simply lost because of the look of AU and its backward step in interior quality, it was branded the ugly duckling by media and has since not recovered.

If AV is pleasing to the eye, has the features and substantial upgrades expected then sales will be right back up there in no time....
JEM I think you have hit the nail on the head. The reason why the commore sells isn't because its the better car. Its because of its design. Yes it does have a great image at the moment however alot of that is due to its design.

Look at both cars in base form. The commodore looks great in base form. If the AV is a looker then I too believe that its sales will turn around. Esp when you combine it with the fact that it is a better car. (Gearbox, Engines, Build Quality, Steering & Handling).
Old 01-18-2002, 04:23   #10 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

What I have been told (by a holden fan but he might know a bit too im not sure) is that the SS commodre might get 255kw or something like that. I think there was a problem HSV were angry that Holden contemplate so much power. but also rumoured that the standard Xu-6 will get 220kw upgrade and there will be a limited monaro and/or GTS-R sedan with that 350kw stroked engine. I also reckon that Holden will get the LS6 soon, and maybe use the 275kw/530nm LS1 from the HSV boat. I hope ford has somethign to answer this, but in other forums I go in, most of the yanks reckon the 5.4 aint a very good engine, with not much potential. We'll just have to wait and see.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub