Time to kill my mod bug! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2004, 16:18   #1 (permalink)
BOFH

Time to kill my mod bug!

Well, I'm settling down now, I'm starting to wake up and realise that in the end the mad power rush really isnt what I want or need to do.
I think I'll spend my money on other things now. I'll get the dyno done to make sure its a crap fuel issue and, if it is, I think I'll stop there. Fair enough I get beaten by most of you at the track but, in the end, most cars on the road cant pull a 16s pass no matter what. My car may not be the fastest, but it certainly is quick enough. I went there to have fun and I had a ball, mission accomplished!
I love driving my car, I'll now treat it better fuel wise and in the end, I'll have a lot of fun in it. So now that it's all over (Heathcote) I'm not too worried about my times.
I'll do it all again for the fun but geez, stressing over 1 second was driving me mad till it was pointed out that it really doesnt matter.

So I think my mods will be suspension and new rims. After that, I'll just enjoy my car as is and smile whenever I drive it, just like I do now.

Ahhh, glad thats off my chest now!

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2004, 16:21   #2 (permalink)

Re: Time to kill my mod bug!

good to know mate :)
got any idea what rims? its a hard choice!
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 16:22   #3 (permalink)
FF Town Sheriff

Ahh - seems the smell of oil and fuel must have clouded your brain...........but now back to reality.

in the overall scheme of things whats a second or two?

" i will own another V8, just what type of body it's in is another question. "
philbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 16:28   #4 (permalink)

dont be too discouraged by others!!!!! it was a damn hot day at heathcote, and many cars suffered there.....
an exhaust is a good mod for a car, it might not give you 1 sec on the 1/4, but it give you a bit more power,torque and economy, just when you do it, do the whole thing at once, no point putting just extractors onto a wheezing standard zorst.....
there are plenty of things you can do to a 6cyl, look at some of the times they pulled at heathcote, most wouldnt have spent heaps..... so be patient, have a good read of the forums, and you will find what works best..
Old 01-11-2004, 16:43   #5 (permalink)
BOFH

The thing is Phil, I'm just not worried about it any more. Turns out that VCT engines have a very good stock exhaust so $1000 for more noise is really not for me. I like the sound I have now. Cams, chips, intakes, etc etc. They all add power but for what? They cost a packet and really dont allow me to use it in Revenue City! I got clouded (as Philbie said) by the times at heathcote that others were running. I think it's great that they got those times, there cars looks, sound and run great. But in the end, on a cold, wet and miserable day in Melb, my car has more than enough power, grip and agility to hold its own. Fact is that in the wet, power is useless without grip. And on the long drives I do for fun and work, a quiet auto and a comfy ride will do me just fine. Cant use any more power, cant stand load exhausts for 4 hours either.

I'm NOT saying that what others are doing is wrong, I too love the thrill of a good mod, but for me, in my position and with my other committments, I have to think about being practical.

Oh, and EFFalcon, I have NFI about what rims I will get yet. Thats a whole other story

Old 01-11-2004, 17:01   #6 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

Im starting to think like you too Casper. Im getting tired of the continual ratrace for more hp. Especially on an older car like mine. Its beyond me now, I cant afford to flog off x ammount $$$ to compete with joe bloggs down the road. It will be a neverending rat race with this car especially. I havent taken it for a thrash down AIR yet, but I reckon I'll see a 15.5 at best.
In future Im gonna look for a AU2 fairmont with low k's, lower it, get some 17-18's, tint and chuck a dev3hl pack at it and leave it. Then I know it will have the looks as well as the go hard parts for the street. That way it will still look factory, have no insurance complaints, and no hassles on road.

I guess Im startin to grow up too. As I plan to buy a house sometime next year.

All this being said, your not alone in the final stages of car mods.
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 17:44   #7 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Casper,

As we were talking on fordforums chat, i reckon it'd still be a good idea to do a dyno run and once you have a good batch of fuel i would go to the drags again and see how the XR goes. I can bet that you'll see very early 16's with no mods.

Oh another tip, if it was a bad batch of fuel, i would throw in a bottle of Nulon Octane booster and a full tank of BP Ultimate, that should help compensate for the bad fuel or whats remained of it in the tank.

Cheers,
Gary.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 18:28   #8 (permalink)
BOFH

Strider, you read my mind. I will get the Dyno done, I'm going to throw in some octane booster as well, but on the first tank I will use an injector cleaner. That way I know the fuel system will be cleaned out properly.

Then, next time theres a meet, I'll be off to the drags again to get a decent time.
I am now reasonably expecting a 16.2s pass. I think that would be more that suitable for an unmodified, auto XR6 VCT.

I do have to say, regardless of the time, it is certainly nice just criusing there and back in a comfy, quiet car though!

Old 01-11-2004, 21:56   #9 (permalink)
Movin!

Dont you just hate these sort of predicaments Casper?

Reading these very forums and participating in drive days, drags etc is a helluva way to get hooked into getting mods done to the car. But trying to save for a house is hard when all you want to do is get more power for the ute by doing another mod...it's a bit like going out with some supermodel and she says she wants to be a virgin till you get hitched..... cruel!
Old 01-11-2004, 22:03   #10 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

lol @ Rodderz.......
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub