time for a new job... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2004, 17:47   #1 (permalink)
nEb
HYPER-6

time for a new job...

well i'm sick of my job.. i'm sitting at work right now writing this. i am 20years old and have been in this same job for just over 2years now. i work as an administrative officer in a government organisation.

now my options are find another admin job which would be ok but still its the same sort of thing and i'm going to get sick of it.

i am doing an it course part time but thats still going to take at least a year and a half to finish and i'm still not sure what type of job i would like to get in to from that. (cert 4 information technology).

other options are doing something completely different which i think i would like doing and would be a good change. something like an electrician i think i would really like. but the only problem is how do i get into something like this with no experience. would i have to do an apprenticeship and cut my wage in half - i don't think i could handle going down this path. or are there other options.. more part time study on top of what i'm already doing.

any advice would be good... thanks!
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2004, 18:01   #2 (permalink)
Blue Blood

Re: time for a new job...

More study is always good if you don't know what you want to do.

However, there is little to no point studying the same thing (or similar things) if it isn't getting you somewhere different - which is what you want.

45,000km service coming up - and i'll be asking for a sizable list of fixes:
* Gearbox (3rd time)
* Steering click (5th time)
* Brake Shudder (2nd time, and has the applied "Fix")
* etc...
ianmcginley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 18:14   #3 (permalink)

Seems to me that now is the time to make the move. No pain – no gain, as the saying goes. Trades seem to be in demand at the minute. Sure the drop in income temporarily would be difficult, but you get used to it. Better now that when you have substantial comittments eg, house loan, family etc. When your on your feet with the trade, then you're your own man. Good income, independence, job satisfaction all that sort of thing. I always say to the young'uns – go for it! You'll never look back!
Zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 00:19   #4 (permalink)

Ever thought about joining one of the defence forces as an apprentice ?
myxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 01:11   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Yeah I'd suggest the defence force for a trade, I would of done it but I didn't like the idea of working on two types of cars for 6 years.

Plus I've made tooooo many jokes about the Royal Australian Easy Money Earners in my time.
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 02:56   #6 (permalink)
www.radclan.com

Well I was in a similar position as you nEB, except i did my Cert IV in IT first.

Before that i worked as a process worker in a factory, now im a Clerk 3 and have only been doing admin for 18 months.

Maybe you could try and change Govt Departments and find something better. I have worked for 4 different Govt Departments in 18 months, each time going up a pay grade, started at 29k pa now on 44k pa not including super.

If you can stick with it, you can do well.. but if you want a change, do it now, as it will become harder as the years go on.
Work out what your budget is like and see if you would be able and comfortable living on an apprentices wage or Austudy / Newstart and full time study.

Liquid Silver 2001 AUII XR8 Ute - K&N Filter - T Series Intake - AU3 Clear Side Indicators - BA Scuff Plates - More details soon to come
xcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 03:52   #7 (permalink)
AU XR6 VCT 'WANNABE'

Dude my cousin and I were looking at doing security and logistics for a world wide organisation if you've got a slight death wish I could pm you the recruitment email address. We were looking at doing some time in Iraq...I was gonna do it for the money, up to $1000.00 a day depending on the seriousness of the security work.
Old 11-23-2004, 04:27   #8 (permalink)
Kill the Playboy Bunny!!

I'm currently doing a Cert III in Network Admin...no idea what i'm going to do after it...
Old 11-23-2004, 07:31   #9 (permalink)
The Guy You Love To Hate

GO into whatever you are passionate about.

Army, cars, IT whatever, youre young and have the opporunity. Get into it!

Just another Eseries...
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 19:54   #10 (permalink)
ST170ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcel
Before that i worked as a process worker in a factory, now im a Clerk 3 and have only been doing admin for 18 months.

Maybe you could try and change Govt Departments and find something better. I have worked for 4 different Govt Departments in 18 months, each time going up a pay grade, started at 29k pa now on 44k pa not including super.
Why shuffle paper all your life it gets so boring day in day out. Youre saying that you were a process worker and now you earn 44k pa, look around and you'll find a P/O job that pays better than that.
Im a shiftwork process operator, atm a flat pa is 53k + super, the starting pa at my work is 45K! Im averaging 3 overtimes a month(the monthly pays suk)this will bump my pa up to 72K...(last yr was 69K)
I dont get any work related stresses, I work 4 days on 4days off(yep 4 day weekends every week...)I get 5 full weeks holi's+3.8weeks Long service and unlimited sick leave!(which Im using at this very moment, just had an operation and will be off for at least 6weeks and thats with out loosing 1c in pay and extras!)
Sure my job can get quite physical and the work enviroment is very hard during summer(65c+). I find my job is rewarding as I like driving things I get to drive remote control bridge/gantry cranes, forklifts 2.5-25tonners, bobcats/dingo's so I have quite a few tickets. And then comes the longweekend every weekend!
And as I stated before I go home after each shift absolutely without no stress whatsoever to think of.
It may be your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
ST170ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub