Towing?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2003, 17:34   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

Towing??

Does anyone know the rules about towing cars on car trailers. Is it allright or possible to tow a falcon on a trailer with another falcon?

The car on the trailer will be a XY, anyone know how much they weigh. The car will be towed a few hundred kilometres on country roads. Would this be alright.

Any help would be greatly appreciated whether it be trailer hire companies or experieces you guys have had.

Thanks
Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2003, 17:41   #2 (permalink)

There should'nt be any real dramas. I think the speed limit with a breaked trailer will be 90km/h with a weight more than 750kg. This is in WA.

Does your car have a trans cooler?? Cause you wouldn't want to tow it too far without one!!
Old 01-05-2003, 17:50   #3 (permalink)
Ford Member

Im still unsure of the car that will be used to tow. Either a auto XF or manual EB CFI. The car will not have the engine in it so that will take away some weight.

If anyone knows any other inexpensive ways to tow please let me know.
Old 01-05-2003, 18:02   #4 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

You are able to tow 1.5 times the towing vehicles weight IF the trailer has brakes.
So if the car doing the towing weighs 1500kg, you are allowed to tow 2250kg. This is generally the weight of a Falcon on a car trailer, so yes, it is OK.
Make sure you have a tow bar for the job though. The standard tow bar with just a tongue is generally only rated to 1600kg or less. You will need one of the bigger square tube bars which are rated for 2400kg.

This is all for NSW, but I believe the rules are now very similar, state to state. Just check the RTA website to be sure.

Rick.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 18:02   #5 (permalink)
Blue Blood

Well the Manual BA XR6 can not tow more than 1200kg (or there abouts), so the auto would probably be best. HOwever I can't qualify that technically. You could try the Ford Customer Relationship Center (off www.ford.com.au) to see if they could hunt down an old manual and tell you the towing capacities of the two cars and the weight of the XY.

45,000km service coming up - and i'll be asking for a sizable list of fixes:
* Gearbox (3rd time)
* Steering click (5th time)
* Brake Shudder (2nd time, and has the applied "Fix")
* etc...
ianmcginley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 18:05   #6 (permalink)
کhậ۴ţ

Use the XF if you dont wanna replace your clutch on the EB :)

shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 18:15   #7 (permalink)
Rail Rider

I work in a hire company that has car trailers. the rules have been nationalized. the trailer + load weight cannot exceed the weight of the towing vehicle. BUT this is rarely enforced (police don't carry portable weigh brigdes). you have to watch for the RTA(in NSW) though.

there used to be a 80Km/h speed limit but that has been lifted and you can now tow at the posted limit (only if you can pull it that fast anyway).

Auto's are better for towing.

People hire our trailers and never have a problem with weights. Just keep the speed down, and remember the trailer is there once it fish tailes your gone.

Make sure you put about 10% of the trailer and load weight on the ball and check the tyres pressure 32-36psi.
Old 01-05-2003, 18:35   #8 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcginley
Well the Manual BA XR6 can not tow more than 1200kg (or there abouts), so the auto would probably be best. HOwever I can't qualify that technically. You could try the Ford Customer Relationship Center (off www.ford.com.au) to see if they could hunt down an old manual and tell you the towing capacities of the two cars and the weight of the XY.

Ford only quote these low tow weights with manuals because they don't trust there own clutch.
I don't ever have any problem with the clutch, however.

Rick.
Old 01-05-2003, 18:38   #9 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

Quote:
Originally posted by AlbertM
I work in a hire company that has car trailers. the rules have been nationalized. the trailer + load weight cannot exceed the weight of the towing vehicle. BUT this is rearly enforced (police don't carry portable weigh brigdes). you have to watch for the RTA(in NSW) though.

there used to be a 80Km/h speed limit but that has been lifted and you can now tow at the posted limit (only if you can pull it that fast anyway).

Auto's are better for towing.

See my post above about towing weights. Check the RTA website if you don't believe me.

It's very debatable about whether autos are better for towing or not. IME, manuals are better because you have far more control over which gear is selected and engine braking down hill is much better.
Admittedly autos are better than they once were for towing, though I still feel a manual is better,

Rick.
Old 01-05-2003, 18:45   #10 (permalink)
Ford Member

Thanks, it seems that it should be alright.

I will be getting my dad to drive seeing as though he is able to drive trucks and drove buses in Sydney for years, im sure he can handle it.

Thanks for your help. I will check the RTA website.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub