Traction Control vs LSD - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2002, 04:04   #1 (permalink)
Resident geek freak

Traction Control vs LSD

Not really sure how this traction control works. But it seems to apply the brakes if the wheels start to spin -reverse ABS.

Im a bit concerned about the talk of smoking pads and the need for bigger rotors coz of it. Sounds like ya might chew thru a set of pads every month or so!

Being bit of a lead foot, im forever putting Pads and rotors on my old beast, I was considering it for the BA, but now Im worried.

I see you can have either TCtl or LSD, but not both. As far as general control, drivability etc is concerned how do the two compare, which would you rather, and why?

Wet/Dry? cornering, steering, general handling and emergency "oh SH!+" situations.
jemmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2002, 04:08   #2 (permalink)
Blue Blood

In my opinion it is easily breaks down like this:

LSD is a performance modification
Traction Control is a safety measure

in the Wet, Traction Control every time
Dry, LSD every time
steering/general handling, LSD
emergency 'Oh SH!+" situations, TRACTION CONTROL

I can't see why you can't have both though....

45,000km service coming up - and i'll be asking for a sizable list of fixes:
* Gearbox (3rd time)
* Steering click (5th time)
* Brake Shudder (2nd time, and has the applied "Fix")
* etc...
ianmcginley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 04:26   #3 (permalink)

A traction control system that applies the brakes on individual wheels when they start to spin may put extra stress on the LSD.

eg. One wheel begins to spin, LSD starts to transfer tourque to the other wheel just as TC hits the caliper of the first spinning wheel, all of a sudden the LSD has to transfer the tourque in the other direction, and so on. could get a bit messy.

not real sure, just a guess.

oh, and my personal choice would be an LSD. I like the idea of TC, but you just can't beat the mid corner power down of a good LSD. Untill they can combine the two, I'll stick to the LSD thanks.
PURSUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 04:29   #4 (permalink)
Territory - 2004 COTY

First thing is that when you have Traction Control on your car, the car is also built with a 4 channel ABS system.

The system uses ABS sensors at each wheel to monitor the relative road speed of all road wheels. As soon as a driven wheel (one of the rears) starts to spin because of insufficient grip between the tyre and the road surface, the system automatically reduces the torque of the engine and at low speeds applies the brake to the spinning wheel.

An example of this might be, when you have the rear wheels on two different surfaces of different levels of friction eg. the LHR off road on the dirt and the RHR on the roadway. A full throttle launch is likely to induce wheelspin on the LHS whilst you get good traction on the RHS. The amount of torque is adjusted to reduce the wheelspin and get you going.

There is a button on the dash to turn the traction control system off at anytime you desire but its best just to let the system on and work silently on the occasions you need it.
Organza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 04:53   #5 (permalink)

I would take LSD over TC any day of the week, you loose traction a lot less anyways. You may think TC does this too, but LSD gives you better traction, TC just prevents you from giving it too much throttle, so the LSD is more effective (and get good tyres), but i want both.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 04:54   #6 (permalink)

confused

Why don't ford offer both t/c and lsd,,, holden do, so it can't be any technical reason
Devil CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 05:00   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

TC is for whimps anyway :)
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 05:16   #8 (permalink)
Formerly lowercase :-)

Quote:
Originally posted by Devil CV8
Why don't ford offer both t/c and lsd,,, holden do, so it can't be any technical reason
Its interesting that you mention that.... The Options Brochure I have in front of me mentions LSD and T/C as STANDARD on the XR6 Turbo and XR8......What The?

So somebody is wrong! Perhaps Ford marketing guys need to get together more often.
MintEAFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 06:36   #9 (permalink)

i was always under the impression that an LSD would make the overall handling of the car suffer. e.g whilest travelling through a corner without LSD, the rear wheels travel at different speeds (inside wheel is slower - less distance to travel), however when you add an LSD, it forces both wheels to turn at the same speed ? which in turn reduces cornering ability and handling. (Thats my understnading of it at least anyway)
Old 09-30-2002, 06:47   #10 (permalink)
Interloper from LS1.com

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrock
i was always under the impression that an LSD would make the overall handling of the car suffer. e.g whilest travelling through a corner without LSD, the rear wheels travel at different speeds (inside wheel is slower - less distance to travel), however when you add an LSD, it forces both wheels to turn at the same speed ? which in turn reduces cornering ability and handling. (Thats my understnading of it at least anyway)
Limited Slip Differential - not no slip.

Wheels will still turn at different speeds.
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub