Trade In/Sale Checklist - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2004, 19:05   #1 (permalink)
.au member

Trade In/Sale Checklist

Well after taking it for yet another run today while Dad was getting his AU serviced, I have decided my next car will (hopefully and most likely) be a BA XR6 Ute. Not sure of details of price, financing etc etc yet, as it's still a good 9-10 months off at least, but to start getting ready I thought I'd ask around for some advice on how to get the best trade-in or sale price for my EFII.

As it is right now, my EFII has:

* Stock 4L engine, no headgasket/cooling/other problems whatsoever, very well maintained - always serviced at regular intervals by Ford.
*HM Headers 2.5" exhaust system from the cat back, around 3000km's old.
*Standard Futura Interior, with trip computer installed.
*Pioneer Headunit (DEH1550, one of the more basic ones) with stock speakers + wiring.
*Lowered suspension with King 'Sport Low' Springs front and rear.
*No rust, minor chips in paint but all are touched up and done properly (maybe 3-4 on whole car max).
*Standard badging removed, AU2 'Futura' badge on rear, holes behind badge properly filled to ensure no water leakage/rust.
*ROH 15X7 'Envy' wheels with near new tyres - would be guessing around 60-70% left in them as they were new when I bought the car.

As some of you know, the car was involved in an accident around a month ago, but the engine/chassis sustained no damage, however near front panels, bonnet, quarter panels and front suspension (I asked for this to be replaced, it only got minor damage in the crash and would have been fine but i felt it best to be replaced and keep it 100% anyway). It also has a new steering rack.
It has around 178,000kms on it, 15,000 of which are mine and I know the previous owners were a retired couple who used the car as a town one, but no towing as it doesnt have a towbar.

I think that's pretty much all the info, if Ive forgotten something let me know what and I'll put it up too, but going by this, and the fact that the current NRMA used vehicle value estimate (I dont trust Redbook) is $9,900 for an EFII, would I be right in asking around $9-10,000 for it?

Also, are there any things I should do or check before it goes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2004, 04:58   #2 (permalink)
Lord of the RC

Re: Trade In/Sale Checklist

$7k

Thats all my old man was offered for his, mind you its just stock with 150k on it

I got $9k for my EL with 113k on the clock, stock as well

Stereo etc will add stuff all to it really

Redbook knows bugger all about trade in prices i have discovered

Just my little input

Cheers

Chris
O.F.R #6 : PM Me
Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Member #4 of the MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
fordel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 17:47   #3 (permalink)
.au member

I agree about Redbook, thats why I dont even bother with them. I asked the guys at the dealership before to estimate trade in price for me, they said around 9k, i dont know how much they'd give me when I actually do trade it though.
Old 02-17-2004, 18:18   #4 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

Make sure the car is thoroughly detailed prior to the trade-in inspection... including under the bonnet.

But if you have a few months up your sleeve, I'd try and sell it privately first... better $$ for you.
Old 02-17-2004, 20:56   #5 (permalink)
.au member

I would prefer to sell it privately as I think you're right - more $$$$! I gave it a good go over today, the front shocks will need replacing soon, brake pads + tyres are fine - will last for ages yet, all hoses etc etc are fine too. I guess I should put new shocks in before I sell it?

And also, how much would you be willing to pay for an EF like mine?
Old 02-17-2004, 22:50   #6 (permalink)
Happy lil Vegemite

Have a look round local car yards, local paper, trading post etc to help you get an idea of window prices. Remember you can always drop the asking price if you're not getting enough interest but also bare in mind if its to high to start with peeps in the market will generally just write you off as a wanker.
Redbook is a guide and the only way of really finding out its true worth is throwing it on the open market.
-AL- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 23:00   #7 (permalink)
.au member

Thanks for the advice AL, I'll do that tomorrow.

I bought my EF for $9500 from a yard here, and they have a lot of EF/L's and some Series I AU's NOW, so they should be a pretty good indicator of price. It seems around here that the averages prices are higher than city areas - while some people here have been saying EF's go for around $7k bog stock, they go a bit higher than that here.

I was thinking of also taking it to some of the smaller dealers who dont have many Falcons/Commodores, cos I thought they might be very interested in getting one and they may give me more than what another dealer would. Anyone have any idea whether they might? I will ask them, but always good to have some info to fall back on.
Old 02-19-2004, 20:58   #8 (permalink)
Happy lil Vegemite

Dealers are out to make money mate so dont be surprised if you get some rude offers.
Take the time to research prices and present the car well for private sale is the best bet. Place an ad in the Trading post and/or local paper motor section. Good luck with it.
-AL- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 21:29   #9 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Yeh mate of mine was only offered $500 for his EA trade in, it was probably worth a grand as it wasn't in bad order. Definitely private sale would be the way to go IMO

Good luck!

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 22:29   #10 (permalink)
.au member

well the best offer so far has been $7000 from a small time dealer who was very impressed with car.

Now if i can just find a f**king job, save up about $5K, trade in my car and then get a loan, that BA is looking good............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub