Traffic light drags: automatics - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2004, 20:45   #1 (permalink)

Traffic light drags: automatics

gday guys, just interested in your personla opinions of the best way of taking off from the lights, (gear change timing etc.) in order to beat those annoying little ricers which we all put up next to from time to time.
92ebSpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2004, 20:53   #2 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Re: Traffic light drags: automatics

well in the EA MPFI, flat to the floor fast, but if you dont do that and need to get going fast, about 1/2 throttle and keep pushing down as you feel the car taking off till you get to full throttle.

Works for me :0)

Jason

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 21:01   #3 (permalink)
Cleveland Powered

(Disclaimer: street racing is illegal and dangerous. If you want to race go to a track)

Step 1: get a V8 :)

Failing that, if its an auto try putting one foot on the brake to stall the transmission up. Keep your foot on the brake as you rev it until it feels like its just about to let go & keep it there until the light goes green. On the green take your foot of the brake & floor it. Bye bye ricer :)

For a manual just try & slip the clutch a little as you take off & build the revs to avoid wheelspin. I eventually got pretty good at this in my XR6 & could take off at some pretty high revs.
Yellow Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 21:03   #4 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Up to the speed limit while you can be booked for it (if the cop really feels like it) is technically acceptable, going beyond the posted speed limit is not condoned or encouraged in any shape or form :0) ........ have a nice day

Jason

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 21:05   #5 (permalink)

Left foot on the brake , shifter in first , power/economy switched to power , NO unnecessary accesories on and a little gas (1000-1200rpm). Pre-empt the light change and release the brake then flaten it. Rev each gear to about 4500-5000 depending on the condition of the engine. Ford have an excellent mid to top end so use it to your advantage. Change through the gears nice and precisely and don't give in.
I've had a fair bit of experience with ricers and you'll find you catch up when they change gears (or pull away depending on who got off first). Hold your foot down until they give in. Good luck and may the FORD be with you! hehe
EAtDUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 21:12   #6 (permalink)
rod

greeting all
i think the best way to anoy anybody at the lights would be to drive off ( after they change to green ) as if you had some respect for other road users

trafic light racing is for dead people if you would like to see the losers from traffic light racers just ask around for somebody that has lost a family member or somebody close in a road accident........... they are the losers

if you would like to see the winners have a look at http://www.morgue4losers.com.au

regards
rod
Old 01-29-2004, 21:24   #7 (permalink)

Or you could just drive through the light while it's red , flippin the bird out the window as you go. But as constable care says , blah blah don't do this , don't do that. Common sense is the best way. Don't race through peak hour traffic if you aren't 100% in control of your car or if you can't predict the traffic. The fact that you have to ask how to take off from the lights tells me you probably am still on your p's and don't have the knowledge to react to a dangerous situation. No offence but we all have to learn how to drive defensively before offensively.
Old 01-29-2004, 21:31   #8 (permalink)

timing is everything,once the red drops just go for it.

auto's stall up the box,and just nail it..

manuals,little revs,with clutch and when changing reach your max rpm's before changing,before doing this take your car somewhere and give it a thrash from 1st till top gear,get to know your max revs and practice gear changing,then you'll have a advantage to knowing your max whilst changing gears..

we've all done it so dont knock it..
cars are a lethal weapon,your not invinsible when you get into one,and no matter how much skill you think you have,you are never in control you are always on the edge of death it may not happen today but if you keep driving like you do,you too will end up dead!
hoon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 21:36   #9 (permalink)

and never do it whilst with cars in front,i only do the dashes and if i see cars in front a few hundreds mtrs away it stops right there..

never approach any traffic whilst at speed..you cant predict another drivers reaction so avoid traffic full stop..
cars are a lethal weapon,your not invinsible when you get into one,and no matter how much skill you think you have,you are never in control you are always on the edge of death it may not happen today but if you keep driving like you do,you too will end up dead!
hoon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 21:38   #10 (permalink)

go to wreckedexotic.com and see what could happen if you drag in faster cars. hehe!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub