Trailer destroyed - Ford's OK - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2002, 05:00   #1 (permalink)
1 bad 302

Trailer destroyed - Ford's OK

Yesterday around 5:30 pm, my son was on his way home from work, towing his 4 wheel covered trailer. It was fully kitted with his tools, tressles, walking planks, nails, etc.
He said it felt a little wobbly and accelerated a bit. It felt good again so carried on cruising @ 80 k's (correct speed limit) on a dead straight bit of road.
Next thing he knows, the trailer dug into the bitumen on the R/H/S. His AUII XR8 ended up doing a complete 360 and the trailer, after breaking the tow-hitch and safety chains, ended up on the left side of the road amongst some bushes/trees, on its side totally destroyed. Tools, planks, bolts and nails were everywhere. Fortunately he was unhurt and the ute was undamaged, except for a small chunk out of his rear spoiler.

A commie driver saw it happen and couldn't believe his eyes. Said the ute at one stage was up on 2 wheels for a bit, but came down ok. Glad he was driving a Ford. Anything else might not have survived. On a good note, it happened about 10 minutes from home so it didn't take long for me to get to him and make sure he was ok.

A phone call to one of his mates ended up with the arrival of a flattop truck with a big hiab, making retrieval better than expected.

All's well that ends well.

Jon
dragonV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2002, 05:16   #2 (permalink)

wowsers!
Old 06-16-2002, 05:18   #3 (permalink)
Qld xr club member

What failed with the trailer.
2002 s3 xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 06:34   #4 (permalink)
GTHO4

Bloody hell!!! talk about a close call.
Very lucky considering the trailer was heavily loaded.
Old 06-16-2002, 07:33   #5 (permalink)
1 bad 302

Quote:
Originally posted by 2002 s3 xr8
What failed with the trailer.
Right hand front axle failed.
Checked it this morning in the daylight and you could see some rust in the center where it let go. Just something you don't pick up during normal maintainance. It lost the wheel, axle part and all, dug in and all the proverbial hit the fan. Just lucky no traffic along-side going the other way.

GTHO4, the trailer had a fair bit of gear on board, but nowhere near its capacity. It's a heavy duty trailer and probably was only half loaded, weight wise. If it was loaded to capacity or over, you could expect it or if he was driving like a maniac, but every thing he did was in his favour, so it certainly wasn't expected.

Jon
Old 06-16-2002, 07:35   #6 (permalink)
1 bad 302

Quote:
Originally posted by Chuggwald
wowsers!
????????????????? Don't understand that one.
Old 06-16-2002, 07:57   #7 (permalink)
Go Nuts in Your Falcon

Quote:
Originally posted by dragonV8

????????????????? Don't understand that one.

I think he means, holy cr@p! It's pretty scary when stuff like that happens.

Thank god everyone is ok.

Paul
FordACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 08:31   #8 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

woah, what an odd thing to happen.. I dont think i've heard of a trailer jack-knifing like that, but i've heard of cars doing that when wheels come off n stuff...

are his tools ok too? or are they naffed aswell.. ?
discokin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 16:42   #9 (permalink)

There was a similar incident on the westgate bridge not along ago in Melbourne although this was due to the wind not a trailer failure. El Xr8 (I think) was pulling one of those massive billboards and the wind picked up fully jacknifed the trailer and almost caused both it and the ute to go over the edge of the bridge. Bloody scary stuff. Hope everything goes ok for you mate.

Dave
Old 06-16-2002, 17:46   #10 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Man

Wheels coming off is a scary experience.

Once, I had just had a new set of tyres put on my XD, and I was driving around a right hand corner when the left hand rear wheel fell off. The car threw sideways in front of a truck, but I got it off the road.

Turns out, the first year apprentice forgot to tighten the wheel nuts up. The rest were all loose.

Tyre place ended up having to replace my rear disk, shock and other suspension parts that had gotten ground down.

Yeah, loosing a wheel is scary!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub