Trust fund would end car industry strike: union - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2002, 19:34   #1 (permalink)

Read Trust fund would end car industry strike: union

From SMH

Workers in a dispute which threatens to paralyse the nation's car industry would return to work tomorrow if a trust fund for entitlements was set up, the Australian Manufacturers Workers Union said today.

The union has called on major car makers to convene a meeting in a bid to end the industrial dispute at Adelaide exhaust manufacturer Walker Australia which has halted most vehicle production.

Only Mitsubishi will be building cars today because of an 11-day strike at Adelaide exhaust producer Walker Australia.

Holden, Ford and Toyota have all been forced to stop their assembly lines, leaving about 10,000 workers idle.

Talks between the AMWU and Walker Australia have so far failed to resolve the dispute over workers' entitlements and the company will take action in the Federal Court today seeking damages and penalties.

But AMWU national secretary Doug Cameron said court action was not the solution and he called on the four major car makers to bring the parties together.

"They've got a vested interest in this and they should play a role in attempting to resolve this dispute," Mr Cameron told ABC radio.

Asked about the idea, Walker Australia managing director Alex Drysdale said he would support anything that would bring a resolution.

Mr Cameron said workers voted to abide by recommendations of an independent arbitrator which included setting up the trust fund.

He said the company had already agreed to the trust fund to protect workers' entitlements under an enterprise agreement which had taken effect late last year.

"There is an agreement in place that specifies a trust fund and our members believe a trust fund is the best way to go," Mr Cameron told Channel Seven's Sunrise program.

The arbitrator had recommended the fund be implemented immediately and reviewed later, Mr Cameron said.

"The mediator proposed that the company implement a trust fund immediately, that in January next year we review the operation of the trust fund," he said.

"That would solve the problem and our members would go back to work tomorrow."

Mr Cameron said he disagreed with Walker Australia management that a government scheme to protect workers' entitlements was adequate.

"If you ask these workers at Walker who do they trust - do they trust (Workplace Relations Minister) Tony Abbott or do they trust an independent trust fund - they'll go for the trust fund every time," Mr Cameron said.

He said the legislation was really only for companies that collapsed without having enough money put away for workers' entitlements, not for multi-nationals like Walker Australia.

"This scheme that the federal government has put in is really for companies that go bust and have not had the position to put away the money in the past," he said.

"This company is an international multi-national. They have got the resources to put this money aside."

But Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries chief executive officer Peter Sturrock said the government legislation was sufficient.

"There are 24,000 jobs at risk if this strike continues," he said.

"The issue is about the entitlements being protected and they're protected under the government legislation today."

Mr Sturrock said the employees had to get back to work to ensure the longevity of Australia's automotive industry.

"There's $5 billion worth of automotive exports at risk here and the long term viability of manufacturing in this country," he said.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2002, 06:23   #2 (permalink)
Interloper from LS1.com

AMWU need a bullet, this is the second time they have shut down the car industry, first time was that steering mob in Sydney.

They have a history of sending places under, they had a big hand in the closure of the old ASTA at Geelong due to restrictive and pig headed pratices.

I want to punch that dickhead Glasgow Steelworks refugee everytime I see him, just because they ran him out of his country doesn't mean he can come down here a shit stir.

Hopefully the court action by Walker and perhaps the Car Manufacturers against the union for damages will shut them up, remember that whatever the validity of the argument, this is a illegal strike.
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 16:21   #3 (permalink)
Copyright �2003

Quote:
Originally posted by Brendan
AMWU need a bullet, this is the second time they have shut down the car industry, first time was that steering mob in Sydney.

They have a history of sending places under, they had a big hand in the closure of the old ASTA at Geelong due to restrictive and pig headed pratices.

I want to punch that dickhead Glasgow Steelworks refugee everytime I see him, just because they ran him out of his country doesn't mean he can come down here a shit stir.

Hopefully the court action by Walker and perhaps the Car Manufacturers against the union for damages will shut them up, remember that whatever the validity of the argument, this is a illegal strike.

Gone are the days of the Union fighting for the workers. All they give a shyte about is trying to make them look like they are supporting the workers by stirring up trouble that could, in most cases, have been sorted out without resorting to industrial action.

The lads at our workplace got rid of the union as they were sick of paying fee's and seeing nothing in return. I think the final straw for them though was when the union rep turned up (previous one was 2 years before) in a late model Stateman and asked if there were any union members working here (3 of them had been members with that union for 6 years).

The employee's ended up negotiating better rates of pay direct with the company by working with the employers.

the house of grunt
Click on the above link to go to a site about my cars, old and new.
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 18:14   #4 (permalink)
Champion Goose

Trust funds should be set up for workers entitlements regardless guys. Too many people get the shaft these days when companies go belly up and entitlements magically disappear. I'm no fan of the unions, but they're right on this one.
XAHardtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 18:16   #5 (permalink)

Smile Car dispute over as workers vote to go back

From SMH.

Exhaust component workers in Adelaide have voted to return to work, ending a 12-day strike that brought Australia's car producers to a standstill.

About 400 employees of Walker Australia voted to go back this morning following a union recommendation.

Australian Manufacturing Workers Union national secretary DOUG CAMERON says the compromise involves Walker Australia taking out a bank guarantee to cover workers' entitlements.

He says the deal is more costly for the company than the union's proposal of a trust fund, but the union is happy the entitlements are now secure.

A Walker company spokesman says the return should allow car makers to resume operations within the next day.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Old 04-30-2002, 19:03   #6 (permalink)
My name is Forrest....

This whole thing is friggin stupid if you ask me, there is no way Walkers will go belly up, except maybe now Car manufacturers dont like companies that strike, so Walkers may find themselves losing business.
Bit of a paradox really, the workers go on strike because of there entitlements if the company goes bankrupt, thereby increasing the risk of Wlakers going bankrupt.....
Old 04-30-2002, 19:09   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jesmol
This whole thing is friggin stupid if you ask me, there is no way Walkers will go belly up
The same was said about HIH and Ansett I'm sure...:oo1:

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Old 04-30-2002, 20:25   #8 (permalink)
My name is Forrest....

Quote:
Originally posted by Falchoon

The same was said about HIH and Ansett I'm sure...:oo1:
Slight difference is that there is no competitor in Aust. for Walker....Same with Monroe...both Tenneco companies
Old 04-30-2002, 21:40   #9 (permalink)
Australian Probe Member

TRW (the steering compnay hit with strikes earlier), Walker & Monroe are all part of Tennaco Automotive a USA based mutinational with production facilities all over the world.
Part of the reason they are being targeted is that they are a probably the best JIT supplier the the auto industry & any stoppage brings the industry to a halt fairly quickly.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 22:08   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the info DRU842, puts things into perspective now.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub