The Truth About JIM MOCK MOTORSPORT - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2002, 21:49   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs down The Truth About JIM MOCK MOTORSPORT

Hi everyone
I have been reading the forums for a lot of time but just today i thought i better share this with everyone, because i've noticed the amount of attention that the Mocks are getting (with previous threads).

I've got an EL that i've keep stock for a while. But since seeing the ad. in the ford preformance mag... I got the DEV 3 kit done from Jim Mock Motorsport - only because of their "apparent" outstanding dyno results.

Their Kilowatt-Happy Dyno (that uses ink - like maybe the first dyno ever made) graphed that my car reached a peak of just over 140rwkw. (stock is 98-108rwkw)

Anyways i was really happy with the results, as you can imagine, BUT after driving it around alot lately (as its not my daily car) i've become very sceptical about the results. So i decided to get it dyno'ed else where.

125-130rwkw on 2 different dyno's other than Mocks.

edited by russellw - I have removed the rest of this post. Your point is well made without the balance and you have stated the facts as you see them. Please refer the comments below for a partial explanation of the apparent discrepanices. We have consistently taken the view that if you have concerns with goods or services provided these should be addressed with the party responsible before posting on this forum
Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2002, 22:22   #2 (permalink)
Evil Holden Overlord

Rather then bagging out the company, I think you need to take an important lesson away from this - dyno results like that ARE NOT COMPARABLE. Two back to back dyno runs, before and after the modifications are made, can be useful in measuring the differences made be a specific change. There are masses of variables that will affect a dyno figure - like ambient air temp, air pressure, relative humidity, how well the dyno is veltilated, whether there had been a number of cars on the rollers before yours, etc ... I'd bet if you tried even more dyno's, you'd probably find that you'd get a similar figure from Jim Mock.

Chalk this one up to experiance, and put less faith in a dyno result claim next time.
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 22:38   #3 (permalink)

I think the only reliable way to see the before and after effects is on the quarter mile.

Its well known that the dyno isn't the "be all and end all" of performance measurement. There aint too many ways to cheat the quarter mile though, and yes there are also many variables on the quarter mile (amount of rubber, temps etc) too, but at least it will give the most realistic representation of your car.

Check the paper for the next track day in your area, generally cheaper than a stint on a dyno and more fun too.
Old 08-02-2002, 23:34   #4 (permalink)
cArSiK

Warrior , with a GTech timer you can get an estimate of your rear wheel power +/- 3KW just by plugging it in and nailing it over 400mtrs. They are usually very accurate for the 0-100 times and 400mtr.They are about $380 new.
Worth a try maybe?
James
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 00:01   #5 (permalink)
Ford Member

I don't think the 1/4 mile is faultless either! Some run down hill some up hills, some have gripper surfaces..

If you want to use a dyno properly you would get a BEFORE and a AFTER. Aslong as no one has fiddled with the dyno inbetween the two runs and under simular conditions, the diffrence between before and after (as a %) should be real.

As with *ALL* measurement there is a amount of uncertaincy.
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 00:11   #6 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

I tend to agree with Iphido here, i guess what it comes down to isif the owner feels happy about the performance gains in the seat of there pants for what they paid for then one should be happy.

Warrior,
Do you feel a definite increase in power, or does it feel like bugger all difference.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 00:15   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by IPhido
I don't think the 1/4 mile is faultless either! Some run down hill some up hills, some have gripper surfaces..

If you want to use a dyno properly you would get a BEFORE and a AFTER. Aslong as no one has fiddled with the dyno inbetween the two runs and under simular conditions, the diffrence between before and after (as a %) should be real.

As with *ALL* measurement there is a amount of uncertaincy.
With 1/4mile, as long as the track is flat, the trap speed will be the same, or very similar no matter how much traction you do or dont have. (unless your wheelspinning the whole length of the track)

Speed is power
Time is traction
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 00:22   #8 (permalink)

Oh and for the original topic of this post, doesnt Jim Mock only quote themselves 135RWKW from the DEV3 on a manual car?.

If your is an Auto then thats going to make 5% less.

Perhaps the 140Kw was some sort of freak, so take it back to them and see what it gets again. And what did it dyno stock?
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 00:30   #9 (permalink)
gone

I am happy that this thread has appeared, it is an issue that has been raised several times

I agree with Russell's edit on the post

I havent visited Mocks workshop, but would alow him the chance to respond on the forums
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 00:44   #10 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

*Bass Crazy Patiently awaits 1/4 mile runs*
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub