TS50 vs. TE50 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2001, 01:53   #1 (permalink)
Australian TE50 AU1 Member

TS50 vs. TE50

Are you sitting comfortably, then Iíll begin. Went to my FTE dealer today, he called me up to let me know he had several T Series cars in that I might like to test drive. No sooner had he put the phone down I was at his door. I know, Iím a lucky #*@!#. First the 220kw TE50 manual, definitely quicker off the line than the 200kw AU1, but still gets a bit fluttery at high end of rev range. Engine note needs to be improved with a different exhaust. Overall, not a great deal different from the AU1, except the doors, they close with a nice clunk.
Next the TS50 manual. Internally, better quality touches, electric seats, premium sound etc. With regard to the engines, they both have the same power, though the TS was a lot rougher sounding, the dealer said that this was due to the aluminium heads on the TS, can anyone confirm this?. I had no problems spinning the back wheels, Iím not sure if the TS has more torque. Despite all the fancy bits, the TS felt sportier than the TE. The TS handling felt noticeably better, I have heard some complain that the ride was a lot rougher, it didnít feel too bad to me, I could live with it. Comparing the two, I didnít think the TS was $20,000 better than the TE. The only thing you canít upgrade are the driving lights and body kit. The engines are more or less the same and I believe the suspension can be upgraded to match the handling. So IMO, if I could afford the $80k for a TS, I would buy the TE and use the money Iíd save doing nasty things to the engine and other parts.

PS. Heís expecting a Mustang soon and he will give me a call when it arrives, teehee!
TeeHee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2001, 02:47   #2 (permalink)

I agree100% with what you have said and would tend to opt in the same way you have mentioned.

In another thread some people have suggested that the series 3 TE will have a down graded interior. (same as XR).
While I understand Ford need to save some money from the stroker job to keep price down It is my opinion (if true) that is a backwards step.
Having to spend 20 k extra for a TS means I wouldn't go for the T series:(
Ands I don't think I would buy a down spec TE. You can always improve performance but the interior is not so easy.
I know because I have looked at putting the t series dash in my xr.

If this is true buying a series 2 TE looks good from where I stand.
What sort of deals are they talking?
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 03:23   #3 (permalink)
Australian TE50 AU1 Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HSE2

If this is true buying a series 2 TE looks good from where I stand.
What sort of deals are they talking?
They are both 2001 cars, the TS with 6000km: $60,000 ( a relative bargain)
THe TE with 12,000km: $50,000.

I spoke with the dealer about the next TE he confirmed that it will be less traction control and climate control, the interior shouldn't change though. I'm going to wait til the real thing arrives in October before I comment on this approach, we still don't know what the total package will be.
TeeHee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 03:42   #4 (permalink)

That would make my decision easy.
No way would I pay 60k for a car with out climate.
Also means the full function trip and the ability to option the Sat Nav screen most likely is NA too.

Selling a car with 260 kws with out traction is just asking for a media power scare. As good as the Ford IRS is, this type of car in the hands of some on wet roads is asking for trouble.
Old 09-22-2001, 03:44   #5 (permalink)

Oh I forgot.

The TS for 60k:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 09-22-2001, 04:56   #6 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

The T series engines with the alloy heads have a slightly different cam profile which gives a rougher idle. As for the 260+kW with the Ford IRS, I reckon it works A1 - totally controllable and easily caught if it gets hairy.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 05:30   #7 (permalink)
Ford Member

Aussie Pete can we see a video of how you do this?? :D :D :D
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 18:42   #8 (permalink)
Tickford Ruled; FPV Rocks

I have to agree with everything said so far. If it came down to choosing between a new TE50 and a new TS50, I would buy the TE50 (venom red, black/red leather interior, 18 inch Azzurro rims) and spend the money saved on engine mods, and the Koni springs and shocks to bring it up to TS50 specs(in the handling department). But if it came down to a choice between a 50k TE50 with 12000km on the clock or a TS50 with 6000km for 60k there would be no argument: The TS50 for sure. But it's a good idea to wait and see what's on offer when AUIII comes out. Then you have all the facts and can make a decision then.
HP Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 00:34   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Pete
As for the 260+kW with the Ford IRS, I reckon it works A1 - totally controllable and easily caught if it gets hairy.
I will have to disagree there Pete. If you remember it was me that was telling you how good the rear of the Falcon is.
I have had 3 years now exploring what it will and wont do all be it with less power than what we are talking about now.
The fact is that in the right conditions in the wrong hands that much power mixed with a limited diff you have trouble.

While everything is pointing in the right direction, while the owner maintains the tyres, while the owner maintains respect everything will be fine.

260 kw cars used to have a 6 digit sum attached. Not so any more.
Ford put traction control on a six ghia with 172kws. Truth beknown this has more to do with running a 3 channel ABS.

Why give the media a leg up on what will undoubtly be a point of contention in the not too distant future.
Old 09-23-2001, 04:16   #10 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Quote:
Originally posted by HSE2

I will have to disagree there Pete. If you remember it was me that was telling you how good the rear of the Falcon is.
I have had 3 years now exploring what it will and wont do all be it with less power than what we are talking about now.
The fact is that in the right conditions in the wrong hands that much power mixed with a limited diff you have trouble.
Ah yes. Very true. However, the Commodore is a biter in comparison to the Ford. It gets the arse out and if you back off it pops the arse back in the air, the toe and camber change, and you are a passenger for a critical moment.

My XR gave me a shock yesterday as I went through a roundabout and gave it about half throttle. the result? Two bags lit up, an armful of opposite lock and a totally smooth drift out and pure acceleration in a straight line. Very, very good.

Traction control? remember how much I whinged for this when I was shopping for a car. I agree Ford should have done it a while ago. That goes for side SRS too.

One final point - have you driven a car with Hydratrak? It is damn awesome and will likely be a future mod on this baby. It would be A1 on T-Series.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub