Turbo Question?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2001, 04:18   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

Turbo Question??

Just wondering what Motor Mag means by sequential turbo vs Dual scroll turbo for the AV? Whats the adv and disadvantages of either one? Will they be intercooled.
DR XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2001, 04:27   #2 (permalink)
THE DOCTOR

never heard of them to be honest
Old 08-04-2001, 05:36   #3 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Re: Turbo Question??

Quote:
Originally posted by DR XR
Just wondering what Motor Mag means by sequential turbo vs Dual scroll turbo for the AV? Whats the adv and disadvantages of either one? Will they be intercooled.
Well to my knowledge, sequential turbo's work in the way that one turbo is always spooling from idle to give a good bottom end torque, and another turbo begins spooling in the later revs like 3500. Skyline GTR's and Supra's use this sequential setup.

I'm not to sure about the dual scroll turbo but my guess it they operate in parallel to give a big power delivery but perhaps lacking the linear power.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2001, 00:02   #4 (permalink)
100% Speeding (when safe)

I dont know why they would want 2 turbo models
I think they should have just one xr6 turbo, the turbo on the fairmont ghia, and al the rest standard.
I wonder if the turbo will be able to be tweaked for a few more psi. 250 to even 300kw should be easily gotten out of it when the boys get hold of it
ED Manual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2001, 00:04   #5 (permalink)
100% Speeding (when safe)

I reckon just have one XR6, not two as well.
ED Manual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2001, 00:14   #6 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Quote:
Originally posted by ED Manual
I reckon just have one XR6, not two as well.
Here here.. One of each model is the go any more is too confusing. remember the KISS principle..
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2001, 00:49   #7 (permalink)
RACE

I think dual scroll has something to do with the turbo spooling up, possibly resulting in more top-end without sacrificing mid-range. One thing I can't wait for is seeing what aftermarket potential it will have. The VL Turbo is still getting around so my guess is the 230kw XR6 will definately have loads of potential. Outputs of 300-350+ kw will not be out of the question. :)
Old 08-05-2001, 03:11   #8 (permalink)
Ford Member

I think one XR6 is good enough and it should sit just below the XR8 in price {i see no reason why it should be much dearer than todays VCT if the new IRS will be cheaper etc} and have huge Turbo performance to justify its price eg 230kw. I think that the lower spec Turbos should be maybe put onto an S or Futura as i dont like the idea of the base 5.4s on a Forte etc been quicker than an XR6. This would also be standard on Fairmont Ghia and Fairlane Ghia and the cars would not need to go to Tickford giving them more time for other projects. The base V8s of course would not match the hot XR6.
DR XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2001, 03:25   #9 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Re: Re: Turbo Question??

Quote:
Originally posted by EF_Falcon_GuY

Well to my knowledge, sequential turbo's work in the way that one turbo is always spooling from idle to give a good bottom end torque, and another turbo begins spooling in the later revs like 3500. Skyline GTR's and Supra's use this sequential setup.

I'm not to sure about the dual scroll turbo but my guess it they operate in parallel to give a big power delivery but perhaps lacking the linear power.
Your right EF.The Subaru I have has twin sequential turbo's.Has good pickup off the mark but I think single turbo is better.There seems to be more aftermarket power potential for single turbo than twin.Even the push to the back of the seat feels better with the single turbo as it seems to have a strong midrange punch esp when mated to a Cosworth engine ahhhh.But have driven Evo Mitsi's as well and same real hard mid range rush.
Big Block Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2001, 04:03   #10 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Yeah for the falcon i say a single low boost 6-7psi turbo is the go. Twin IMO is goods for engines that need more torque down low but the Inline 6 has decent bottom end punch adn if they go DOHC bottom end grunt will be even better for those of you who think the Buick 6 has more bottom end grunt.

Yeah the after market potential of turbo's will be good and the falcon name will be hollowed better as well.
With a few mods aka Skyline Intercooler BOV's hi-flowing turbo's and ultimately bigger turbo's i reckon we'll see the Falcon six dominating the street power scene.

310+kw out of the Inline 6 isn't too hard.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub