turbo toyota hiace - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2004, 02:57   #1 (permalink)
1974 xl tc 250 cortina

turbo toyota hiace

I am getting a toyota hiace in a year or so when I finish my apprenticeship. I want to run LPG for economy, and for the turbo.

But I want a bit of performance too. So I figure my options are (1) turbo the existing 2.4; Will there be enough room? Would like to fit a cooler too, but if no room ill just run 4-5 psi boost? Do you recon there would be an easy way to fit an intercooler? If I got an intercooler in there id like to run 10-15 psi. Will there be problems with the stock computer? Maybe I could go to a straight LPG throttle body? Will the internals hold out?

Would this be a massive opperation or not?

(2). 350 chev. Is it hard to do?

(3) sr20det....fj20et

(4) Any other suggestions

So what would be the easier/cheaper/bang for buck option? I am thinking the turbo.

What do you think?

thanks

I want to do a few other things too.....18" wheels, clear tailights, tinted windows. Its not just going to be a work van, it'll be getting heavy weekend use on account of my dirtbike, so I dont want to be driving a POS.
thek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2004, 03:34   #2 (permalink)
EFII Ghia owner

Re: turbo toyota hiace

if your going gas i devinatley recomend getting a straight gas research system put in, they also do turbo systems as well
Old 08-12-2004, 03:48   #3 (permalink)
1974 xl tc 250 cortina

yep thats what I was thinking as well. Save trouble with the computer, just need ignition control.

But I am still worried about available space in the engine bay for the turbo or 350 chev.

I would prefer to do the turbo because off boost (and it will be 99% of the time) it will still get good economy, something the 350 chev wont.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:15   #4 (permalink)
APV SR3900

has anyone ever turboed a hiace before? what would be involved? could you turbo the existing engine? We have an SBV.. i think there would be enough room?

-White EA APV SR3900... manual... My baby...
"The funny thing about common sense... is that it isn't very common!" -very, very smart man
santoitaliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 04:29   #5 (permalink)

The closest I can think of to a hotted up van is the mazda wreckers in Cayton Road, Clayton that used to have a Commodore v6 in their E2000 van..a real lead tipped arrow.

I'd like to buy the new 176kW V6 T5 VW Transporter van
Curls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 17:49   #6 (permalink)
EFII Ghia owner

cheack out www.japanesemotorsport.com.au, then go to JMS promotional vehicles and then click on the JMS delivery van, hasnt got a turbo, but has nos.

a turbo should fit, if you go a smaller turbo like a t28 it shouldnt take that much more room then the standard manifold, just as long as you dont go crazy
Old 08-12-2004, 19:10   #7 (permalink)
The Guy You Love To Hate

The 350Chev in van thing has been done, they used an old Mitsubishi L300 or somehting not sure. Theres at least 3 around Victoria. If ur using it as a work hack, id say go for turbo, like u said for economy. If you can fit a V8 inthen you canfit a turbo+piping, etc. No idea how strong the internals are.

Just another Eseries...
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 06:55   #8 (permalink)

I've seen the chev350 mitsubishi van its used as a plumbers van and does some nice burnouts :) , also here some pics of one with a 13b in it if rotaries are more your style.

Old 08-13-2004, 07:23   #9 (permalink)
1974 xl tc 250 cortina

Thanks for the pics mate. That 13 b looks sweet. Do you recon it would hammer? Would it be killer on fuel? Can rotaries be run on LPG?

The van looks pretty cool too. Im not sure whether to go the metal windows or the tinted black. I like the metal better but apparently its a bit dangerous for doing lane changes to the left (due to no head checks).

If anyone could post up more photos of hiaces, or any other van, with hot motors, especially turbos, it would be much appreciated.

thanks
Old 08-14-2004, 01:55   #10 (permalink)
wanna be burn out king

why a 350? why not 289 or 302 winsor? have been in a combi powerd by 12a n/a and it was a ripper
460cixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub