turbo vs - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2002, 22:02   #1 (permalink)
phreeky

turbo vs

saw a turbo'd vs commodore the other night. was on a local cruise.

had a peek under the bonnet, turbo sitting in the middle of the V (normal for a v engine i hear).

dunno about the performance or any other mods, i'll try and find out. sounded good spooling up. there's a guy on www.performanceforums.com that has a turbod EA.

seems the cost for this kinda thing is huge. have to replace gearbox and diff as well. can't see this happening to my mighty EA until i finish uni
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2002, 22:05   #2 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Surprising. I don't know who would turbocharge a VS when there is a supercharger for the V6 which is probably quite easy to install. Just being different I guess.

I don't doubt performance would be outstanding.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 22:10   #3 (permalink)
4WD Jockey

supercharger

prob coz tha holden supacharger is weak. If i had a choice i would turbo charge instead of supercharging.
LoverBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 22:50   #4 (permalink)
ben

s

from what i hear from alot of mechanics turbo chargers require more maintanance, are more costly and generally produce less horsepower, and a turbo lag, superchargers also have other added benefits apparently.

correct me if im wrong
ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 00:37   #5 (permalink)
Martin

Ummm, I think the owner of that VS is telling porkies.
If it was in the 'V' then it was a Eaton M90 Roots type Supercharger. Optional on VS Calais/Statesman and VT/VX.
Holden dealers sell the supercharger kit for them also for pretty cheap.

There is no way a Turbo sitting in the V would work, it would be sitting right near the intake manifold, thus sucking in all the heat thats produced by the turbo.
Too much Heat = detonation = ****ed motor.

But Turboing the Buick 3.8L V6 isnt that uncommon as youd think though(well here it is) In the US back in the 80s there was a car called the Buick Grand National. It had an earlier version of the 3.8L V6 and was Turboed. Stock, they ran ~13.8 1/4 mile. Add a chip, exhaust, up the boost etc and they were deep into the 12s. With more boost and on high octane gas they were an easy 11 sec car.
Theres ones that run 9 & 10 sec 1/4s in street trim while still looking and sounding close to stock.
Old 04-27-2002, 00:49   #6 (permalink)
Martin

Ben, the mechanics you are talking to are full of shit. A turbo running at the same amount of boost will always make more power than supercharger on the same engine.
Lag is really only a problem on smaller engines, and dont let people fool you, supercharged engines also suffer lag also.
Maintenance, if the Turbo setup is decent, it wouldnt cost any more to run than a Supercharged car.

But the drawbacks are cost, a decent turbo setup can cost 30-100% more than what a supercharger setup would. Plus like I mentioned before, heat is problem with turbos also.
Old 04-27-2002, 08:18   #7 (permalink)
ben

d

fair enough..

thanks for clearing that up
ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub