UK Subaru Impreza STi - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2001, 02:51   #1 (permalink)

UK Subaru Impreza STi

Subaru's awesome WRX too tame for you? Then this could be the car you have been waiting for. The high-performance STi edition of Britain's favourite sporting machine is ready to jet into UK Subaru showrooms next month, and Auto Express has driven it first.
Aiming to rival Mitsubishi's EVO VII and BMW's M3, the bewinged Impreza WRX STi has an army of fans inspired by the car's remarkable World Rally Championship achievements.

The excitement that surrounds the launch of this road-going edition of the car that recently carried Richard Burns to his first World Rally Championship title is understandable. Exclusivity is guaranteed, as well, because only two versions of the newcomer will be available; an entry-level Type UK priced at £25,995, and the dramatic-looking £27,495 Prodrive edition tested here.

When you fire up the turbocharged 2.0-litre engine, a deep growl from the exhaust washes through the Alcantara-trimmed cabin. Around 80 per cent of the engine is all-new, and, as a result, the note is more aggressive than the standard model's. In fact, it seems to boast about its 261bhp potential.

A quick twist of the wheel reveals that the power-assisted steering still feels light, but when you glance over the instruments and down the bonnet you'll notice that Subaru's engineers have added an even bigger air-scoop to remind you of the STi's credentials. Reach down to engage first gear, and you'll find Subaru's first six-speed gearbox. The gearlever stands tall in the transmission tunnel, but the shift itself is short and has an indestructible feel.

With such a sporty introduction to the machine, you could be forgiven for imagining that the Subaru would prove awkward to drive in heavy traffic. But as you head out onto a main road, it soon becomes clear that nothing could be further from the truth. The clutch is light, the Brembo brakes feel crisp and responsive, and the slick-shifting gearbox glides without effort between its neatly stacked ratios.

The suspension, though, immediately feels harder than that of the standard Impreza WRX. Because of this, cruising on motorways is less comfortable, and there is more road noise transmitted into the cabin. However, as the road becomes more demanding, this tougher suspension set-up offers even greater grip from the front wheels. Turn-in is incredibly sharp, and even on rough surfaces there seems to be no limit to the Subaru's grip levels. There is now less understeer - and body roll - than before. On the test track, this meant we could set the STi lunging towards a corner, leave our braking until the last second, hitting the Brembos to wipe off amazing amounts of speed in a very short distance. Then it's time to get the weight forward, turn in to the bend and get back on the gas for a lightning-fast exit. Yet all the while the Impreza does nothing but inspire confidence as the reshaped racing seats hold you firmly in place.

And when you get the chance to really rev the engine hard there seems to be no end to its rate of acceleration, and an adjustable shift warning light flashes when it's time to change gear. Maximum power is developed at a ground-shaking 6,000rpm, and even though the engine will rev harder, there's little point. It's much better to make use of the boxer engine's torque, which, at 343Nm, rivals that of BMW's new M3. Against the clock, the STi leaps from 0-60mph in only 5.2 seconds, hitting a top speed of 148mph.

That's impressive when you consider the STi has put on more than 100kg of weight. This is because of the all-new manual transmission and reinforced crash protection.

And we can't help feeling that some of those extra kilograms are the result of an effort to make the Impreza more refined. Although we noticed greater road noise from the tyres and suspension, few other machines match the STi's devastating cross-country pace. We also suggest that no other car can do it with such incredible ease.

Faster than the WRX, more competent on winding roads and as dramatic to look at as Richard Burns's rally machine, the STi is an incredibly exciting driver's car. It's also great value for money and offers real innovation. Enthusiasts will be queuing at Subaru dealerships now.

At a glance

*All-new Subaru Impreza WRX STi Type UK on sale next month

*£25,995 for the entry-level car, £27,495 for Prodrive edition

*Powered by 261bhp turbo-charged flat-four engine
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2001, 01:02   #2 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

I love these cars.The latest impreza hasn't gone down so well here in NZ as the new shape takes a bit of getting used to but the STI looks great IMO. I would love to own one but $$$$$. The WRX is held in high regard here and i expect that is the case in Europe as well is it.
Big Block Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2001, 12:26   #3 (permalink)

I don't think the new look was accepted well anywhere.

Very good car, just a little small for me. Have alot of respect and time for the WRX
Old 12-12-2001, 07:02   #4 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

i got pics of the UK version of the Sti which look nearly identical to the rally one. I cant post them becasue they are too large and i dont have a program to make them smaller. Anyone can help me out here?
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 12:21   #5 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cobra
i got pics of the UK version of the Sti which look nearly identical to the rally one. I cant post them becasue they are too large and i dont have a program to make them smaller. Anyone can help me out here?
I have paintshop pro.Email them to me if you like cobra ....codex71@hotmail.com.
Old 12-12-2001, 17:09   #6 (permalink)

Hey bigblock, you own a WRX don't you??
Old 12-13-2001, 00:33   #7 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by HSE2
Hey bigblock, you own a WRX don't you??
I have been looking at them but currently have a twin turbo Legacy which I think is called the Liberty in Aus and US.It is a fantastic car.I love my Ford's but there isn't really one in the Ford stable that compares with the legacy for the price at the moment.As you said above ,it is hard to go to a smaller car as in the impreza.
Old 12-13-2001, 01:43   #8 (permalink)

Mate how does that compare with the B4?
Old 12-13-2001, 08:03   #9 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Block Ford
I have paintshop pro.Email them to me if you like cobra ....codex71@hotmail.com.
No worries mate. You got mail.:s3
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 13:06   #10 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by HSE2
Mate how does that compare with the B4?
It is the same vehicle.The model I have is the earlier version but is a wagon.In NZ in the earlier models we have The GT which is the SW version of the RS Legacy Sedan.These are both Twin Turbo AWD.In about 96 the models changed to GTB for wagons as they have Bilsteins and RSB for sedans with a lift to 206kW and then moved up to current models which have again had a renaming to RSK B4 for the sedan but kept the wagon as GTB.They have retained 206kW for the manual and 190kW for auto.The model I have is a GT wagon still twin turbo AWD like the B4 but earlier version of it. I do like the wrx and have driven a few as a test drive but they are a bit small and not quite as luxurious as the Legacy.The WRX does have more scope for modding tho as the twin turbo doesn't take as kindly to it.Same engine but the the small primary turbo tends to cause trouble when you run more boost.People do still boost up the Twin turbo's but at more risk of failure.I think I would cope with the smaller size for one of the latest STi's tho cause they are horny.NZ$69000.00 whew.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub