US Family 4 Door Sedans - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2002, 02:45   #1 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Lightbulb US Family 4 Door Sedans

Well I decided to pickup a copy of the 2002 Car and Driver Road Test Annual as there was some very interesting car comparisons.
The price was a killer but i got it anyways, hows $15.40 sound for a mag. :dead: :dead:

Anyway an article called Concealed Carry featured 8 US sold front drive family sedans and compared them.

In order are how the cars rated by the mag:

Honda Accord LX V6
Toyota Camry SE V6
Nissan Altima 3.5SE
Hyundai XG350
Dodge Intrepid SE
Chevy Impala LS (Later Version of LunaticSS's car)
Ford Taurus SEL
Buick Regal LS

I'm amazed that the XG350 rated ahead of the traditional American brands, with the mag quoting a first class fit and finish.
Quickest of the bunch would go to the Altima despatching 0-60 7.3 and 1/4 in 15.6. It had to be being an engine with 240hp while the others are around the 200hp mark. I was abit disappointed that the Taurus rated only 7th. It's main achilies heel was it's shocks waay to soft with the car pitching and diving under acceleration and braking.

Form my personal view, I love the shape of the Dodge Intrepid with it's long hood and rear end. Don't like the Accord and Camry as they look too plain. The Hyundai looks terrible. The buick interior looks old manish.
The Taurus, Impala and Altima are all quite good in shape. I'm very suprised why Nissan Australia aren't looking into the Altima for a Maxima replacement, that 3.5L V6 definitly has some stick.

I think if i was in the US i would have to test drive the Taurus, Impala and Intrepid. But judging by the comparo, i'd come down to either Taurus (brand loyalty), Intrepid (Shape) and Altima(it's engine).

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2002, 05:00   #2 (permalink)

Gary, When I was in the US I tried to hire a Taurus, but ended up with a 4Cyl Camry :((

You are right about the intrepid it has a great shape. I took a picture of one, but can't locate it, but i did find a picture I took of a Chrysler LHS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lhs.jpg (35.6 KB, 140 views)
Aussie Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 05:06   #3 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Are you sure the Impala LS is the later version of LunaticSS's car? I thought he had a Chevy Caprice, which was a rear-drive full-size sedan dropped without replacement due to low sales?

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 08:46   #4 (permalink)

I would take the Intrepid with the new 3.5 V6, it puts out about 183kw stock!!
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 15:51   #5 (permalink)
SHOMANII

The current Impala is a FWD sedan. NO relation to the old RWD model. It's the same chassis as the Pontiac Grand Prix and the Chevy Monte Carlo, and some other crap I can't think of off hand.
Old 08-15-2002, 22:41   #6 (permalink)
Formerly J-type

The Chrysler 300M which I think is based on the Concord/Intrepid and LHS has a 180Kw 3.0 V6 engine.
Old 08-15-2002, 22:50   #7 (permalink)
Shhh, we're hunting Lions

The Nissan 3.5L V6 is an absolute ripper motor one of the best around. In the 350z it pumps out a healthy 216kw.
Adam W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 05:42   #8 (permalink)
Ford Member

Nissan is truely a bizzar car company.

They have some of the best cars in existance today. Yet they don't sell them in the right markets or sell them outside of japan. Or they stop making them.. ala 200sx, R34 GTR etc.

The Australian division must be killing themselves. The no hot hatch (a market they owned in australia), 200sx out of production just when it hit the big time, a aging Maxima that nobody really liked anyway. Maybe they will reinvent themselves..

They could give Holden a run for number one easy if they sold the best products over here. A coupla skylines, a coupla of the nice mid sizers, some of the hot hatches, 350zx, 200sx replacement, the full off road range.
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 21:46   #9 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Quote:
Originally posted by Adam W
The Nissan 3.5L V6 is an absolute ripper motor one of the best around. In the 350z it pumps out a healthy 216kw.
Yeah not wrong it's one of the V6's i sortof like. Don't forget the 216kw is in atmo trim too.

Now i'd be nice if Motor or wheels could compare the Xr6 with the US model sedans. :s5 :s5

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 23:02   #10 (permalink)
400 kg ego

XR_Strider_GuY, there have been a few US vs. Australia comparos in Wheels over time. When the Taurus was first released here, it was defeated by the EF Fairmont Ghia. When Wheels took that orange VT II SS to the US, various small comparisons were made then also.

Additionally, there is another comparison with an EF Falcon XR6 wasting various cars in the UK. You can accuse the writers of bias, but at the end of the day Australia's cars do suit Australian tastes.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub

« eBay | Blonde joke »