US market hate Monaro(GTO) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2003, 06:07   #1 (permalink)

US market hate Monaro(GTO)

Lovely to see the article in Saturdays26th July (todays) Sydney Telegraph to say the US market hate the look of the Monaro(GTO) saying it looks like "a sucked caramel???)

Get a copy of that news paper and have a read

-it wont please Holden at all they banked on 18000 sales!!!,

the US GTO website even put a Mustang on to show how a real car should be styled= simply

amazing stuff a GM fansite bagging their product!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Grimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2003, 08:41   #2 (permalink)

Re: US market hate Monaro(GTO)

I read on a US site that 10k of the 18k cars in the first year have been accounted for already. They started taking order at the beinging of this month from memory.

The old GTO fans are just complaining that a car, 30 years after the last, doesn't look like the previous cars from 30 years ago. The auto industry has come along way since the '60-'70, maybe they should move on too .

Mods:
Fairmont dash, Pioneer DEH-P5550MP, Trip Computer, XH Snorkel, EL Thermo Fans
crYnOid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 11:03   #3 (permalink)
Four cylinders short...

man you should see how ugly the cars in america are these days, the monaro is a comparative work of art :s1:

http://maddox.xmission.com/c.cgi?u=ugly_cars

take a look
Old 07-26-2003, 15:41   #4 (permalink)
BOFH

I have seen the Aztek and Avalance in person and the photo's dont to them justice. They are much, much uglier in real life.
I actually went to a Pontiac dealer and took some photos of an Aztek just so people would believe me as to how ugly it really is.
As for the GTO(Monaro), I don't like them much anyhow but the nose they stuck on it in the States is a shocker....no wonder they are complaining.

Cheers,

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 17:43   #5 (permalink)
We Love Greb Murpy

Good to see it doing well then
ford.boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 19:01   #6 (permalink)

Well im no real big fan of the Holdon Morono , although I dont think is a bad car, but who the fek are the yanks to criticize on the styling front or indeed many automotive aspects.

For years it seemed that yank car designers drew their inspiration not from matchbox cars but the actual match boxes themselves, with their straight square shapes, and ancient style of dashboard and interior design which looks like it was converted from an early model f100 ute.. hardly inspiring stuff..

What else about yank cars?? hmm pogo stick suspension that endows the cars with a smooth ride, means that the car is still bouncing on its suspension next time you go to drive it.

The idea of a monocoque chassis seems to be a relatively new idea for many american car designers, who all seemed to love the seperate chassis setup for many years..

Think american style, think slabs of imitation "wood look" vynal on the side of a slab sideded three tonne tank, four square front headlights, an enormous "trunk" which contributes to space inefficiency in interior space terms, but don't worry, they'll drop in a gas guzzeling 8.0 litre motor to haul this abomination along at near hyundai elantra levels of performance..

Of course there are exceptions, but relatively few untill recently.

People in glass houses shouldnt throw stones..

The morono might look like a sucked caramel but that's a lot better than cars that look like they were styled around offcuts from a building site.
ricecooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 00:19   #7 (permalink)
Ford Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricecooker
Well im no real big fan of the Holdon Morono , although I dont think is a bad car, but who the fek are the yanks to criticize on the styling front or indeed many automotive aspects.
I don't think you realise that they've changed some of the styling before selling the car in the US. The front, it's friggen 'orrible. Personally, they should have stuck the GTO coupe front on it, much nicer.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 01:24   #8 (permalink)

ricecooker excellent post!
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 03:02   #9 (permalink)
Ford Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace
Lovely to see the article in Saturdays26th July (todays) Sydney Telegraph to say the US market hate the look of the Monaro(GTO) saying it looks like "a sucked caramel???)

Get a copy of that news paper and have a read

-it wont please Holden at all they banked on 18000 sales!!!,

the US GTO website even put a Mustang on to show how a real car should be styled= simply

amazing stuff a GM fansite bagging their product!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please elaborate, why is this lovely?
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 03:27   #10 (permalink)
wanna be burn out king

where can i see a pic of the said beast
460cixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub