V8 Subsitutes - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: What should ford use?
Use the VCT I6 to replace V8 option? 2 11.11%
Make a hot naturally asperated I6 to replace V8 option. Barra parts special. 3 16.67%
Bring on the Turbo I6 early! Barra parts special. 9 50.00%
Limited run of 4.6L V8's. (SOHC or DOHC)?! 4 22.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2002, 17:16   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

V8 Subsitutes

What should ford use as a stubsitute for V8's now that the windsors are "apparently" in short supply and there are questions about the 4.6 and mainly 5.4L engines supplies. This could be with us a while.

Bear in mind Ford could have a hard sell on the last of the AUIII's as barra draws nearer, so a end of model special specification could be a good idea anyway to help move the last that roll out of the factory. But you don't want to take all the excitement away from the barra launch.

Could the 169Kw/172Kw VCT I6 replace the 175Kw Windsor in the ford range. Leaving only the XR8 model in short supply.

Why not bring over the 4.6L V8 SOHC to replace the 175Kw V8's. They should fit nicely. For the XR8, maybe make a limited DOHC run. Making 180-200Kw for the SOHC and 240Kw for the DOHC.

Turbo the I6 and run with that.. ~210Kw. Barra taster.

Opinions? Is there a shortage of V8's?
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2002, 17:24   #2 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

Who cares about 4.6l engine supplies, we're not using them - and who said they was questions about them or the 5.4l?
Old 05-30-2002, 17:36   #3 (permalink)
Ford Member

5.4L engine supplies were rumored to be low due to demand in SUV/F trucks in the us..

It was a rumor and rumored a while ago, here, nothing recently. Don't know if it was true or false. This was apparently why the I6 turbo was created to help lessen demand on the 5.4. Doesn't sound all that unreasonable.

But there could always be a problem filling all those barra orders!! They can only make and ship so many engines. To reduce delays a V8 alternative may be suggested by dealers. I belive holden had a few delays in V8 commodores VTII, not sure if that was LS1 supply or just general car supply.

Of course I could always start rumors about a Barra desiel again..
Old 05-30-2002, 17:46   #4 (permalink)

I would not release the new engines yet, it could take some shine off the release of the new Flacon. People could make judgements on the engines that I think should be reserved until it is an entire package in the new model.

Imagine if journos claimed the turbo was better in the AU than the AV.

I think the Diesel is a good idea, I wonder whether they will offer the Diesel Focus?
Old 05-30-2002, 18:00   #5 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

Quote:
Originally posted by IPhido
5.4L engine supplies were rumored to be low due to demand in SUV/F trucks in the us..
It's an ALL-NEW 5.4 that we are getting, so how can supplies be low!!!
Old 05-30-2002, 18:12   #6 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Sparkle

It's an ALL-NEW 5.4 that we are getting, so how can supplies be low!!!
Hmmmm a few reasons.....Not really all new. Parts sourced from overseas and local suppliers (wont name them) and all assembled here, could be a slow process!!!
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 18:24   #7 (permalink)
JEM
Future XR Owner

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry
I would not release the new engines yet, it could take some shine off the release of the new Flacon. People could make judgements on the engines that I think should be reserved until it is an entire package in the new model.

Imagine if journos claimed the turbo was better in the AU than the AV.

I think the Diesel is a good idea, I wonder whether they will offer the Diesel Focus?
Excellent points, agree 100%.
JEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 18:25   #8 (permalink)
Ford Member

Details are mysterious.. I made them up myself and are unconfirmed.

The engine blocks are hand carved by monks in the serria mountians in the usa, then they are loaded onto canoes and float down stream to ye secret bolting up area where secret heads are made from alloys found in diamond mines and melted in volcanoes are bolted to it. This area may or maynot be area 51 and may not be here in OZ..

Then they bless the engines and bury them for 12 hours in a pit with two burnt pigs. Then they are installed into cars by opma loopas.

Nothing is all new.. Logistically delays may be introduced because of the secret process the engines must go through.

As for the focus desiel. It would need 115Bhp and 206lb-ft or torque. It should be badged as a turbo. Yes, it would be interesting to see if they could sell a few desiel focus's.. or foci..
Old 05-30-2002, 19:23   #9 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Well I can't vote for any of those.

I reckon a great run-out of the last AU shells would be a 6.8l V10 limited edition. Maybe as the anniversary GT model, that's due this year isn't it?

Make a great statement before the full reintroduction of the GT with the Barra model, whatdya reckon?
Old 05-30-2002, 20:23   #10 (permalink)

Haven't the "all new claims " been modified to "new to Australia"
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub