V8 Supercar Race Driver - fastest selling Playstation game in Australian history - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2002, 18:09   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs up V8 Supercar Race Driver - fastest selling Playstation game in Australian history

From the Daily Telegraph

The games men play
By MICHAEL BODEY
16sep02
WHO said video games were for kids? Record sales for the latest Playstation 2 video game has confirmed men are driving the new technology.

The game V8 Supercar Race Driver has become the fastest selling Playstation game in Australian history.

Its first week sales of 25,000 copies not only eclipsed previous fastest selling games, Gran Turismo 3 and Metal Gear Solid 2, but halted sales for most other games. The unprecedented sales have been driven by the major video game demographic – men.

According to Sony Computer Entertainment research more than 70 percent of the more than 400,000 Australian Playstation 2 owners are men aged more than 18.

And those men have flocked to the game that simulates Australian V8 motor car racing.

"Driving is the most popular game genre and V8 racing is the biggest motor racing category, so there's been pent up demand," said Mark Gilbert, Group Marketing Manager for the game's distributor, Infogrames Australia.

"The older demographics are driving this game," confirmed a Sony spokeswoman.

Games industry sales tracking organisation, INFORM, confirmed it was the fastest selling game, on all platforms, since it began recording weekly sales in early 2001.

So why is this one game so popular? The gaming market – older men – love their sports simulations. Shane Warne Cricket was one of the best sellers on the Playstation 1 console and soccer games proliferate. Gridiron simulation games are the most popular in the United States. Australian men love their V8 car racing even more. And V8 racing has its icons everyone wants a piece of.

"Most people, from what I can gather, get the game and go straight to the Bathurst track," said Gilbert.

While other car racing games have been released, including V8 Challenge, none have approached V8 Supercar Race Driver's realistic driving simulations.

Thirty year old Jason Bargwanna, one of the V8 Supercar drivers featured, admitted he's a fan.

"Nothing will be like the real thing but if you're in your living room and turn the heater up to 55 degrees and put on three tracksuits, this is as close as you'll get," he said.

"The tracks are very good, the sound's perfect, braking points are the same and it handles really realistically."

"It services our fans and I believe it will possibly attract new fans to the sport," he added.

The game also received a boost with its use as a simulator during Channel 10's telecasts of the V8 series and integrated promotion on the V8 series' official website.

BIG BOYS' TOYS
GAME: V8 Supercar Race Driver
COST: Retail price $109 (although available for up to $20 less)
AUSTRALIAN TRACKS AVAILABLE: Adelaide Street Circuit, Phillip Island, Eastern Creek, Mt Panorama Bathurst, Oran Park, Canberra Street Circuit, Sandown.
MORE INFORMATION: http://www.v8supercars.com.au; gamenation.com.au

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2002, 19:03   #2 (permalink)
Interloper from LS1.com

Quote:
Nothing will be like the real thing but if you're in your living room and turn the heater up to 55 degrees and put on three tracksuits, this is as close as you'll get," he said.
Don't think I'll try that.

It's not perfect the game, but it's fun.
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 19:23   #3 (permalink)

Re: V8 Supercar Race Driver - fastest selling Playstation game in Australian history

Now this one is alot better

betts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 19:55   #4 (permalink)
SBR Supporter

Re: V8 Supercar Race Driver - fastest selling Playstation game in Australian history

Is that V8 Supercars Race Driver 2? Those graphics look too crappy to be that game...
Old 08-04-2004, 20:11   #5 (permalink)
Lord of the RC

pity v8 is so old now

v82 is where its at now...

nope that would be number 1... number 2 isnt out on PS2 yet

chris
O.F.R #6 : PM Me
Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Member #4 of the MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
fordel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 20:17   #6 (permalink)
SBR Supporter

V8RC1 had BAs and VYs in it? Thought it was AUIIIs and VXIIs.. hrm
Old 08-04-2004, 21:03   #7 (permalink)
Lord of the RC

i thought it did tho could be wrong as never played #1

chris
O.F.R #6 : PM Me
Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Member #4 of the MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
fordel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 21:27   #8 (permalink)

That article is old as, I dont know why it was posted

That game looks to be the V8SC game that EA games brought out and I guess those are mods

Rd1 only had AU's and VX's

Rd2 is really really good compared to Rd1, I played RD1 yesterday and its really shit compared to RD2
Ambrose_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 21:55   #9 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

I play this game every Fri night when I visit the inlaw's, I race with the step father in law and kick his arse, it's all good fun.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 22:32   #10 (permalink)
JR
Editor on P Plates

Well werever it's from it must be new as the cars are all wearing 2004 livery - It can't be too realistic though as Seton is in front...
Editor: Street Fords Magazine - Issue #1 on sale MARCH 2005
E-mail: jr@streetfords.com

Co Founder: 3FB Inc.
To see my old BA Falcon XR6, click HERE
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub