Vehicle theft statistics - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2002, 16:46   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Vehicle theft statistics

I was interested to read the stats in the recent NRMA white paper on the topic of vehicle theft in Australia.

I have always taken the view that thieves (especially proffessional ones) tended to target "desirable" vehicle but I guess this report has proven me wrong as the most Stolen vehicle in Australia last year was the Hyundai Excel. Now we don't generally expect thieving mongrels to be the nrightest candles on the cake but I'm sure even they wouldn't consider this car (and I use the word in the broadest sense) is desirable! Even the dealers wouldn't try to convince you of that!
Maybe there is some credit due to the thieves as nearly 85% of these are subsequently recovered which is almost the highest recovery rate of any vehicle.

Positions 2-5 are all held by various Commode models with the recovery rate as low as 65% for the VS rising to 75% for the VP - presumably because these older models are mainly stolen by joy riders rather than rebirthers.

Position 6 is the first Ford appearance (the EF) with a 75% recovery rate.

Now perhaps this represents the down side of having a popular vehicle - that is to say if the Falcon becomes more desirable then presumably more would be stolen and less recovered. The differences in raw number terms are massive - the total number of Commodores (all models) stolen nationally last year was 4,200 with only 2,786 recovered for a recovery percentage of 66%.
In comparison there were 1056 Falcons stolen and 787 recovered at a recovery rate of 74.5% and that is a massive difference.
Effectively there were 3 times as many Commodes stolen and 3 times as many not recovered- might be some advantage to being the "odd one out" in the pack after all.

Special note:

There were 11.4 times as many SS/HSV Commodores stolen as XR6/XR8/T-Series!! Further more if we put this into a comparison against sold volume then you are still 3 times more likely to have your Commodore Sports model nickes than your Ford.

Let's stay relatively unpopular IMO.
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2002, 16:53   #2 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Interesting statistics there. I suppose rebirthing an Excel and selling it quickly is an easy way to make a few bucks for the pros, with minimal suspicion.

But as for Falcon being unpopular, you could also argue that if Fords and Tickfords don't become more sought-after in the market, Ford Australia could end up a simple importer like Nissan.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 18:02   #3 (permalink)

maybe it's just that we have better security because we love our cars more...
Pearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 19:32   #4 (permalink)

I think these figures arent because the Falcon is unpopular, but more the case of far bettter security.

The Smartlock System has been standard since the EB models, whereas with the Commodores the Holden Factory alarms systems were standard on VN Calais, then later trickled down to Berlina's and other models.
Also the Standard Security system (Their Large Paddle pop key system, and Deadlocking) is very easy to bypass.

The Smartlock system is by far superior.

Also the VT's (Fixed up on later models) had a serious flaw with regards to the Rear Quarter window being fixed in place.
Basically this Quarter window can be taken out using your fingernails, or a key. This meant that for the SS and other desirable models, you could simply pop the boot, and get yourself a nice 17Inch wheel and new tyre, for around 15 seconds worth of "work"
Xyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 22:32   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Valid points guys but when you watch the Pros at work they can get past either with little problem. Therefore if there was a strong market for the performance Fords they'd be disappearing in similar numbers I suspect.
Old 06-21-2002, 23:12   #6 (permalink)
goooone

also you see eaps of excels with fancy stereos wheels etc & the car has no real security so are prone to being flogged for parts
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 03:57   #7 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

So it would be safe to say that there hasnt been an incident where a Ford fitted with SmartLock , has been stolen in Aust.. correct????....!!!!

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 04:12   #8 (permalink)
Boat Hunting ;)

if the cars stolen where the most desiarable why dont things like mercedes, BMW's, statesmans and failanes make the list?? you cant tell me that a VN commodore, a EF, or a excel is more desirable!! it comes down to security!! those older commodores and things like excels are sooo easy to break into!!

my opinion

cheers

steve
AU2 S-pack Owner: Silhouette Black, XR6 Wheels, Tickford Sunroof, C2R rear bar, Checker Plate Floor Mats, Chrome Door Sills, Blue Backlite Dash, Blue Painted Brake Callipers, Advanced Extractors, Magnaflow High Flow Cat, 2.5" Stainless Steel Mandrel Bent Custom Exhaust, Genie Muffler. Sony Explode 50w x 4 deck, Kenwood 140w speakers (front and rear), Boss 1200 watt Amplifier, 12" Orion Sub in custom box. More To Come!!
younggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 04:15   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Quote:
Originally posted by younggun
if the cars stolen where the most desiarable why dont things like mercedes, BMW's, statesmans and failanes make the list?? you cant tell me that a VN commodore, a EF, or a excel is more desirable!! it comes down to security!! those older commodores and things like excels are sooo easy to break into!!

steve
I think the statement said more desirable not most desirable - and proportionate to their sold numbers the cars you have mentioned do figure prominently in the Stolen and not recovered stats - but obviously not in the raw numerical data. I was simply commenting on the Holden / Ford comparison.
Old 06-23-2002, 04:21   #10 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Guys, off-topic slightly - I recommend censoring any posts which give information on how to steal any cars. I have had this situation before with my old discussion board, and it's better to be safe than sorry.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub