Vic police choice of cars - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2001, 18:55   #1 (permalink)
Mmmm, forbidden donut

Vic police choice of cars

I've noticed that Vic police now only seem to use VT and VX SS V8s, a year or two ago there were XR8's everywhere. Is this just a power thing? Now that the XR8 has 220kw I wonder if they will start to use them again...we all know they handle a lot better...or are they too tight on the $$$ to pay for the PULP?
The Mighty XE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2001, 19:58   #2 (permalink)
GTHO4

I can't see why not now that there is a 220kw XR8... should be close in power.
I thought SS's run on PULP as well?.

The WA Police are doing the opposite and are getting rid of their V8 Commodores and replacing them with V6's saying that they will do the job as pursuit cars.
I would imagine that they will be supercharged though they didn't mention anything about it.
Old 05-26-2001, 20:59   #3 (permalink)
EL Fairmont Ghia Member

The Victorian Police, in which I am a member of, use the SS commodores for one reason. They are a hell of alot quicker than the XR8's. Both have had their quality concerns. We also use the WRX's, but speaking to many a toggie, they prefer the SS's, as they are more roomie(allows for the McGuts to fit in)and over 150kmph the SS's eat the WRX's up. Some have said they prefer the XR8's handling, interior etc, but it lacks the go, or the business end of things.

The 220kw motor, a little more top end, I am not sure exactly on torgue, but really no great performance increase. Still a dated motor that simply lacks the cubes or tech upgrades(ie OHC's).

A couple of years ago we were still running XR8s as they were a hell of alot better than the early VT's.

Speaking of the SS. I was in one the other day with a Toggie, and we were pulling out of a McDonalds car park, and in reverse were getting a horrible crunching sound from the diff. He said it is common.................

Jas

p.s Toggie = TMU (Transport Management Unit) "Mad Dogs Chase Cars"
VilkasMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2001, 21:08   #4 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Vilkas:It's good to have someone here that works in an area that is putting cars through some real time testing.I think what you have said about the XR8's pretty much sum's up most of our feelings here too.Nice car but needs more grunt ,cubes esp,plus tech upgrades.Having said that,the Windsor has been an awesome engine for Ford over a very long period.I think they have been used for almost everything.
Big Block Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2001, 21:44   #5 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

You'd think the Vic cops could afford to buy HSVs and T series strokers given all the money they're making from taking pictures in the name of road safety...:mad:

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2001, 03:28   #6 (permalink)
EL Fairmont Ghia Member

Oh yes, if Victoria Police were getting the funds from all the motorists breaking the laws we sure would make a better wage/salary than we do now, and I could have kept my XR8........

The government gets that money!!!!! What happens to it then, you tell me.........most likely overseas fact finding missions, conferences at 5 star resorts..............
VilkasMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2001, 03:37   #7 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Quote:
Originally posted by VilkasMaximus
Oh yes, if Victoria Police were getting the funds from all the motorists breaking the laws we sure would make a better wage/salary than we do now, and I could have kept my XR8........
The government gets that money!!!!! What happens to it then, you tell me.........most likely overseas fact finding missions, conferences at 5 star resorts..............
I had dinner recently with a member of the ACT legislative assembly. The issue of them recently introducing speed cameras came up (:wink2: :p ) and he/she (no names) said the budget had been allocated even before the cameras were introduced. The problem they are having is revenue is much higher than they anticipated. Meanwhile, the ACT has an extremely low road toll. Go figure.
Vilkas - are you GD or HP?

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2001, 02:14   #8 (permalink)

The LS1 cars eat LSD for breakfast. Every LS1 car the AFP has, has had the diff replaced at least twice. BTW the ACT has the fastest pursuit car in the country, unmarked LS1 6 speed VX, so when you guys are here watch out for a dark blue VX with a big set of lights in the front.
Old 05-28-2001, 02:23   #9 (permalink)

Queanbeyan has a Black VX SS unmarked (not sure if its 6speed or not though) , saw the prick fly past me doing 90 or so in a 70 zone for no apparent reason at all :fmad: :fmad: :fmad:
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2001, 02:49   #10 (permalink)

Crap! I'll have to warn a friend of mine to be good while she delivers Pizza! I know Queanbeyan used to have a couple of unmarked LS1 Execs but they are all autos. Oh well better then the Volvo the ACT is about to get! And I mean the T5 sedan as a traffic pursuit car.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub