Visual Garbage - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2003, 16:44   #1 (permalink)
Table 5

Visual Garbage

After living in the UK for some time upon returning to Australia I realised how much visual garbage we are assaulted with whilst driving on our roads. It seems that every 100 meters we have a sign purporting to be useful but in reality creating a distraction from the road and reducing the impact of important signage.

The best example I have seen of this is driving along a spit on the Sydney north shore. The main road up the spit is sign posted at 70kph. All along this road there are side streets that are about 100 metres long terminating at the beach. Guess what signs they have posted on every one of these streets? Yep, 50 kph speed limit signs! Let me repeat. These roads are 100 meters long and lead no where!

The other thing that winds me up is the reduced speed road works signs that are left up over weekends, when the MRD is not even working on that road or which start 5kms before the road works start. If the police expect us to respect these limits then they should only be posted when they are required.

Lastly, before I get off my soap box, if road saftey is the number 1 priority then all possible destractions should be reduced if possible. Why then are advertising bill boards allowed in urban areas? Their main aim is to distract the driver into reading them. Isn't this going against the road saftey message? Not that it affects me, my eyes are too fixed on my speedometer making sure that I don't go 1km over the limit to worry about whats happening on the road!
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2003, 17:14   #2 (permalink)
Ford Tickford Experience

I agree that there can be a lot of shit on the side of roads, but in the end, if a person can't stop themselves from looking, it's nobody elses fault. Agree?
Old 05-08-2003, 17:59   #3 (permalink)
Team Galaxy Try Hard

On your way home from work, take notice just how many signs there are along to road, sign's from speed limits to no standing signs, to bus stops, to advertisments.

I'd love to be selling gal. steel poles to the RTA.
Nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 19:12   #4 (permalink)
Ford Member

I could go on on how this is pointing to the decline in western civilisation and the lack of true autonomy but it's really not much use.

Lets just say it's just a symptom that we are totally over-governed, over-policed and overerly litigious as most people can not take responsibility for their own actions.

Let's face it in our current society it is virtually impossible to not break at least 1 law in day to day life.

The proliferation of these signs are just the end result of that.

Hmm, getting a bit heavy there.
TheBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 03:30   #5 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

So many signs, yet there are NONE on street corneers with the names on!!!

bastards could at least get it right.....

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 03:37   #6 (permalink)
gone

Quote:
Originally posted by mongrelEB
So many signs, yet there are NONE on street corneers with the names on!!!

bastards could at least get it right.....
I couldnt agree more!
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 14:23   #7 (permalink)

Re: Visual Garbage

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mumbodesigns

The other thing that winds me up is the reduced speed road works signs that are left up over weekends, when the MRD is not even working on that road or which start 5kms before the road works start. If the police expect us to respect these limits then they should only be posted when they are required.

This is something that has always intrigued me. The police wouldn't ping you doing 60km in a 30km posted roadworks area in the weekend - surely not! If so God help us.
BeansNoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub