VN for $8000?? You gotta be kiddin! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2002, 15:31   #1 (permalink)
Brent79

VN for $8000?? You gotta be kiddin!

Hey guys, this wank at work is selling his absolutely stock
VN... He said that some car yard offered him $7000 but thinks
he can get $8000! I couldnt believe this... all his car has is shitty 5 spoke mags and even comes with grey bumpers.
He's gotta be bullshitting me right?? This isnt even a good example of a VN..

Brent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2002, 16:10   #2 (permalink)
400 kg ego

I never understood the pricing of VNs. I just bought an EA.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 16:11   #3 (permalink)
Now boostless :-(

if it has a 24 carat gold interior it might be worth it.
NAPARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 17:09   #4 (permalink)

A while back there was a VN Calais near where I live going for something like $9000. Apparently it was immaculate with low k's, may have been a V8 too.

Not all of them are really expensive. You can find thrashed examples in the trading post for peanuts. Quite a performance bargain when you think about it.

Most VNs bring the same amount of money as an EBII. I know which car I would take :)

Ash
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 17:59   #5 (permalink)
TheFonz

a VN? gee whiz.

We owned a VN Shlomodorre a dog frequently travelling in the back and we had it for about 190k. The tranny was shite, good wheelspin in but my mate often beat me in his EA Falcon S which had nothind done to it. I put a big zorst on it but apart from that it was stock. VN's have got acceleration probably why I beat the shit out of the car. BY the time we sold it was springing leaks left right and centre. We sold it privatelly for 6k? it needed a lot of work, the tranny was just about dead and the motor was nearly DOA and stalled like crap often. It belonged in the wreckers... I don't know why people pay more for a Commie than a Falcon.
I have a EA now (Grandpa Henrys EA) and it makes my old folks car the VN seem like a afterthought. They bought a EL Monty Ghia. Nice and cosy and goes like the clappers.

Fonzerelli
Old 05-17-2002, 18:43   #6 (permalink)
firefox

re:vn

funny you said that....i was going through the local paper today and some fool at a car yard is selling a ford laser 1987 model for .....$10990.00.......can you belive that.
Old 05-17-2002, 18:56   #7 (permalink)
Ford Veteran

hmm

Maybe he meant $1990.00
gmanEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 08:20   #8 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Re: hmm

Well you don't need to look far to find a ridiculously bad deal at a dealership. But when a model's average price is excessive, it's also a case of 'buyer beware'...

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 12:43   #9 (permalink)
Paul Stewart

I think they keep there value so well becuase of there are so many 18 year olds who are looking for a car. My brother just bought a EB2, after a lot of persuasion from a VN by me. IT seems a GMH's are a lot more popular with younger kids.
Old 05-18-2002, 16:51   #10 (permalink)
sundeep104

I can fully agree with that Paul - it's just a sad fact of life these days.

It certainly wasn't that way back in the '70s - Ford was more than competitive in every segment, and in some (such as the long wheelbase Fairlane, an idea pioneered by Ford) had the competition from Fisherman's Bend for breakfast on a regular basis. In fact, it took until the '90s before the Statesman/Caprice convincingly took market leadership - and this need not have happened at all.

The current situation would have to be a result of those infamous decisions by Ford management in the '80s, particularly the dropping of the V8 engines. Sure, the sixes sold the most, but V8 were what kids fantasised about and aspired to... and the brand loyalty continued through to adulthood. Retaining the V8 made sense from every view... and if any fuel crisis arose, the best course of action would be to reduce the number of V8 cars being produced. But never should such powerfully emotional cars be killed off.

There was an article in Wheels not long ago comparing the original TE50 with its HSV Clubsport equivalent. When stopping outside a primary school to gague reaction, the HSV drew cheers of praise from the kids, while the conservative-looking FTE merely gained a few murmurs of half-hearted approval. This too is likely to burn Ford years down the track.

Not that it's too late to turn things around - and as soon as Ford is as 'cool' a brand as Holden again, the chances are that the the somewhat absurd current resale values will stabilise.

Sundeep
members.optusnet.com.au/sundeep86
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub