VTII / VX Experiences - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2001, 16:26   #1 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Question VTII / VX Experiences

Just wondering as the topic states whats everyones experience with these model commo's. The ones i drive at work are the VT Series 1, and after 70 odd k they're as loose as anything. Squeeks all over the joint, engine is rough as guts etc.

My dad's EL was an ex-company car now done 98k and it's light years ahead in tightness.

A few people have said the VT2/VX are heaps better, just want to know if it's true.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2001, 16:41   #2 (permalink)
JEM
Future XR Owner

I've driven VX commies here at work, they're quite nice to drive when revs are low, but the engine does get really rough when revs rise. The car felt tight but it did only have around 800km's on the clock....give it time.

The Magna and Camry V6's are very smooth, the best of all, but that don't matter when the rest of the car is boring
JEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2001, 17:33   #3 (permalink)

Read

Yes the VXII does not seem any different, my brother in law has with over 80000 on it, and compared to my AU, absolute pile of s***, which is why I cant understand the media giving the AU such a hard time all the time!!
Old 10-28-2001, 19:45   #4 (permalink)

A friend of mine has a VX as a company car and she has had a few problems with it. They include: air con always blowing out hot air, brake lights never work, tranmission problems and the right hand rear door does not close to well. It's got just over 3200km on the clock.
Space Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2001, 20:03   #5 (permalink)

Apart form the HSVs my friends/relatives have, work have a few VT2s. One of the HSV has had some troubles. Of the others they seemed good to me, appart form one where the auto handle seemed to be moving all over the place. ( whole Transmittion )
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2001, 21:54   #6 (permalink)
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL

In the looks department, line a VT up against an AU1 and the VT sells it self. The AU (as much as the look is starting to grow on me) looks like an ugly dog.

The VT/VX interior is a major improvment over the AU1/2.
The VT/VX are also a lot quieter than the AU1/2

The AU seems to be very outdated in terms of technology when compared to the VT.. and if i was a swinging buyer. i would choose VT over AU.

But because I am a ford man, i chose the falcon :)

Why are holden selling 40,000 commodores a year more than falcon?
For the people at ford who cant figure it out:
*VT/VX looks better
*VT/VX is smoother/quieter
*THe kilowatt thing
*Holden wins races.

We have people come in looking at new cars, who pay EXTRA for the commodores, because of the above. Even if the falcon is a couple of thousand dollars cheaper. they go for the commo.
jaytyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 01:43   #7 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Quote:
Originally posted by jaytyn
*VT/VX looks better
*THe kilowatt thing
*Holden wins races.
Just to add to the list jay..

*People are sheep
*They'll believe anything you tell them
*Holden is an "Australian" Company..

*Sniff Sniff*
Ahh the lovely smell of bullshyte..
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 02:11   #8 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

It is true to say the market has determined what Jaytyn has outlined, and Ford is taking notice of this and will in my opinion sort the falcon out in the AV.

But why i started this thread is to findout the VTII/VX as a second hand car having done 70k+.
If the levels are like the VT1 then the commo hasn't won the entire battle. I'm actually suprised to see that the VT looses it's newness so quickly.

Since the days of EB's i've always found Falcons to be a tighter car as millege increases in both the body/interior and engine.

Call me the Minority but i judge a car by the way it performs after the showroom glamour as well as styling etc. Basically i'm hard pressed to find a commo with the same millege in such tight condition like my EF at 198k.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 03:15   #9 (permalink)
100% Speeding (when safe)

i just drove a vt2 with a huge 170,000km. It was so crook. The transmission thumps in 4th for a while b4 it hits 3rd, the door was leaking badly, every window surround was creaking like a , well who knows what, the cruise control was broken, rattles everywhere. An absolute piece of junk.
If you wanted to fix a rattle you wouldn't know where to start.
My mates VS with 140,000 is equally as squeaky.

My ED has absolutely no rattles at 170,000, and i drive it hard, on dirt roads, corrogations, hit gutters sideways etc etc, and its so good it just doesnt even compare. Another friend has an EF with 220,000 that seems as good as new, another one has an EF with 180,000 that is as good as new too.

Has anyone driven a BMW, they are one of the worst cars ever after some harsh Aussie driving. I drove a 96 328, it had just 100,000km and was full of thumps, rattles etc. Just not built for our conditions, just like the Commodore. Only for smooth roads, and city people. Thats what I wreckon. I wouldn't touch anything but a Ford if you want something second hand and you still want something kind of tight.
Old 10-29-2001, 03:34   #10 (permalink)
JEM
Future XR Owner

Quote:
Originally posted by jaytyn
In the looks department, line a VT up against an AU1 and the VT sells it self. The AU (as much as the look is starting to grow on me) looks like an ugly dog.

The VT/VX interior is a major improvment over the AU1/2.
The VT/VX are also a lot quieter than the AU1/2

The AU seems to be very outdated in terms of technology when compared to the VT.. and if i was a swinging buyer. i would choose VT over AU.

But because I am a ford man, i chose the falcon :)

*VT/VX looks better
*THe kilowatt thing
*Holden wins races.

We have people come in looking at new cars, who pay EXTRA for the commodores, because of the above. Even if the falcon is a couple of thousand dollars cheaper. they go for the commo.
I agree with all you have said here Jaytyn, but, correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the VT come with ABS standard while it was an option on the AU when released??? I think this is a major factor in the sales stats, and the fact that ford changed its pricing structure of the AU for fleet buyers which hurt them badly also.
JEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub