VX/VY Commodore Base Vehicles and ADR50 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2003, 17:20   #1 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

VX/VY Commodore Base Vehicles and ADR50

Australian Design Rule 50 (ADR50) covers the fitment of fog lamps to vehicles. From the DOTARS website:

"The intention of this Australian Design Rule is to specify the photometric requirements for front fog lamps which will provide adequate illumination for the driver of the vehicle without producing undue glare for other road users."

Now I have long been in absolute awe at the number of VX and VY Commy drivers who don't understand what headlights are for versus the foglights (call them driving lights if you must except all that means is you address the same statement except it's ADR 45 or 46). Many have personally met Aussie Pete who slows down and gives them the high beam from behind for extended periods or gets the 500+ watt reply in oncoming traffic as I pass

So, it's time to attack the issue at the proper forum. Do what I did - send a complaint to the department of Transport and Regional Services (see www.dotars.gov.au website) about the VX/VY Commodore fog lights which I believe are by far the most glare producing lights of their type.

As a matter of interest, get a VX/VY driver to operate their high beams and then their fog lights while you stand at a distance of 100-200 metres. I was astounded to find little difference in the glare I experienced.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2003, 18:01   #2 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

Absolutely right AP. It's as if Holden, in all it's unfathomable wisdom, decided to design the fog lights to point upwards to oncoming traffic, since obviously that's the most effective way that they penetrate fog...

Formulating my complaint this very afternoon!
Old 04-29-2003, 18:07   #3 (permalink)

It's one of my pet hates too (people that drive with their fog lights on when theirs no fog). It amazes me the amount of cars you see with them off when it's foggy! Some don't even have their headlights on at all or maybe just their parkers. The majority of these cars do seem to be Commodores, followed closely by 4WDs, with the rest mostly ricers in Hyundais and the like.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 21:22   #4 (permalink)
Ford Member

And then people complain when they get pulled over and defected. I asked one guy why he was pulled over, he replied "I had my fog lights on"

If you dont want to be harrased, then dont go out of your way to give them something to pull you over for!
hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 21:35   #5 (permalink)

I was "dazzled" the other day ( bright sunny day) by members of our revenue raisers in their marked VY SS .. with bloody driving lights on! .. Do these lights automatically illuminate when the ignition is turned on in commies?
Old 04-29-2003, 22:52   #6 (permalink)
spaced out

Quote:
Originally posted by Charliewool
I was "dazzled" the other day ( bright sunny day) by members of our revenue raisers in their marked VY SS .. with bloody driving lights on! .. Do these lights automatically illuminate when the ignition is turned on in commies?
on some fleet purchased vechiles they make them turn on when ever the ignition is turned on and are referred to DRL (daytime running lights)
Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 22:56   #7 (permalink)
Team Galaxy Try Hard

Thats usually only the head lights though, not the driving lights
Nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 23:45   #8 (permalink)
AUIIIXR6VCT

yup they get highbeam from me too, specially on the highway. I find that the new XR/GT fog lights are no where near as bright, what does everyone else think?
Old 04-29-2003, 23:48   #9 (permalink)
goooone

I've actually noticed heaps of the highway patrol SSs with there fog lights on. Maybe Holden should think of making them low wattage lights like on the Fairmont Ghias so Commo owners can still be fully shick without annoying the rest of us
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 00:29   #10 (permalink)

I think it may be an issue with the aim of the lights. Although your right about being annoying as hell. And as I've stated numerous times before I support the usage of lights on during the day, 80% output on low beam being prefered.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub