VY Commodore Series 2 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2003, 05:15   #1 (permalink)
Territory - 2004 COTY

VY Commodore Series 2

*** Holden Press Release (dated August 10)

Holden Adds Refinement Across The Range

VYII Calais given Euro-luxury sports presence, more V8 power
Increased 245 kW GEN III V8 power for all sports models
Upgraded VY Series II Commodore, Berlina, Ute and One Tonner
Upgraded Series III Monaro

Holden continues to add value and refinement to Australia's most popular passenger car range with the launch of a performance-oriented luxury sports Calais and updated VY Series II Commodore and Berlina models. The strong-selling Holden Ute and One Tonner light commercials and the country's number one sports car in the Monaro coupe also benefit from feature upgrades.

Holden Chairman and Managing Director, Peter Hanenberger, said the new models build on the considerable design strengths of their predecessors and offer buyers even more quality, differentiation and value.

Our primary task was to ensure that we maintained our winning edge by continuing to improve on class-leading attributes. We have made many subtle changes and enhancements, which reflect an increased emphasis on refinement and attention to detail, he said.

The VY II series sees the top-of-the-range Holden Calais take on a more European-accented sports persona with bolder, more aggressive styling, striking interior treatments, bigger 17-inch wheels teamed with low-profile tyres, unique suspension settings and the choice of more powerful V8 performance.

A new high-output GEN III 5.7 litre V8 engine, producing peak power of 245kW @ 5,600rpm, is now specified on Commodore SS sedan, SS Ute, the Commodore SV8 and Monaro CV8. Holden Calais, Berlina, Ute S and One Tonner S models benefit from a GEN III V8 power boost to 235kW @5,200rpm. ECOTEC V6, Supercharged V6 and GEN III V8 power plants are engineered to meet strict new emission level requirements.

At Holden, our greatest strength lies in our ability to tap into our customer’s needs and aspirations and to offer a selection of vehicles that satisfies those desires. As this new range demonstrates, that selection is increasingly diverse and more competitive than ever, Mr Hanenberger said.

All the new Holden passenger and light commercial models feature fresh, individual interior trim treatments. Convenience and comfort features such as cruise control, front power windows and adjustable front seat lumbar support are now standard across the range (with the exception of base light commercial models), and a sunglasses holder and rear reading lamps is now standard fitment on all sedans and wagons.

Calais, Acclaim and Monaro models receive the added safety benefit of active head restraints, all models are equipped with audible and visual driver's seatbelt warning, and steering column modifications across the new range assist in reducing the risk of occupant injury in a frontal crash.

Available for the first time, a tailored, factory fitted sunroof is optional on all sedans.

All wagons are fitted with aircraft-style cargo rails in the rear compartment for extra tie-down security and flexibility, and load-covering retracting roller blinds are standard fitment.

Styling and Feature Highlights

While VYII models continue the sharper design themes and more aggressive road presence that characterise this series, Holden designers have focused on fine detail elements which further differentiate between model levels.

The Calais is the most significantly changed in appearance and others are defined through richer paint finishes, sharper graphic highlights and additional features. All VYII models, with the exception of base light commercials and the Commodore SS, are equipped with new technical spoked wheels. Wagons and Utes have new jewelled tail lamps with a circular design theme.

Stand-out Calais styling accents include a bolder front fascia with sports bar grille and hexagonal mesh inserts, black bezel headlamps, lower ride height, SS-style side skirts, 17-inch five-spoke alloy wheels, rear fascia skirts and unique tail lamps. Interiors are highlighted by all-black headliner and pillar trim, sports profile steering wheel, unique fascia and colour-keyed console surround and suede-finish soft fabric trim.

Extra luxury touches include Caprice-style driver seat memory settings and heated memory exterior mirrors. When reverse gear is selected, the passenger-side mirror dips to show low-level hazards.

Twin fog lamps, black lower fascia mouldings and smart nine-spoke alloy wheels distinguish Berlina models. More luxurious interior finishes include new monotone seat trim in soft velour, leather-wrapped steering wheel, handbrake and auto shifter and satin chrome highlights.

Commodore SS sedans receive subtle changes to the front fascia; new interior trims with solid colour, high lustre patterning and colour-keyed instrument clusters. These include purple tones to complement a new exterior finish called Cosmo a striking metallic deep purple, which can also be specified with harmonising leather trim.

The sports-flavoured Commodore S and SV8 now have body-coloured grille and rear licence plate surrounds and spoiler-mounted stop lamps with clear lens. Both feature smart new interior seat and door trims and a new four-ring instrument cluster. New alloy wheels five-spoke on the S model, which receives larger 17-inch wheels, and dual five-spoke on the SV8 are matched to new-specification tyres, tuned for improved handling and firmer, quieter ride characteristics. Body coloured exterior mirrors and amber indicator lenses also set the SV8 apart.

Commodore Acclaim and Executive models have amber indicator lenses, body coloured licence plate surrounds and chrome décor strip at the rear, new ten-spoke and seven-spoke wheels respectively.

The graphic design cues that distinguish VYII sedans and wagons also apply to Ute and One Tonner models.

To complement its high-output 245kW V8 performance, the Series III Monaro CV8 gives buyers the choice of an exclusive, high-visibility new exterior finish called Impulse.

A highly chromatic, brilliant blue, it teams with blue leather interior trim. Additional features include a Caprice-style electro-chromatic interior rear vision mirror, which automatically reduces headlamp glare, and an integrated rear glass radio antenna.

New Range Colours

Four new colours* are offered in the VYII range, and the popular Quicksilver is available for the first time on Holden Ute. VYII models and Monaro benefit from a more durable new acid etch resistant topcoat on all clear-coated finishes.

*Cosmo - deep, dark metallic purple
Available on S and SS sedans and Utes, Monaro

*Syracuse - light neutral satin gold
Available on all sedans and wagons - not SV8, S and SS

*Barbados - light to mid-blue metallic
Available on Executive, Acclaim, Berlina, Calais, Monaro

*Cove - mid blue/green chromatic
Available on sedans and wagons - excepting SV8, S and SS

*Impulse - bright chromatic brilliant blue

Devil Yellow - highly chromatic solid sports yellow
Exclusively available on Monaro

Quicksilver - sharp silver with brilliant highlights
Available on all models, excepting One Tonner

Phantom - metallic black with silver highlights
Available on all models

Turbine - deep gunmetal metallic

Martini - pale olive green metallic

Vespers - dark inky blue metallic
Available on sedans and wagons excepting SV8, S and SS

Berry - rich crimson metallic
Available on Berlina and Calais

Shanghai - chromatic med red metallic
Available on Executive, Acclaim, Berlina and Calais

Heron - solid white
Available on all models except SV8 and Monaro

Redhot - highly chromatic solid red
Available on Executive, Acclaim, SV8, S, SS, Monaro, Utes and One Tonner
Organza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2003, 19:16   #2 (permalink)
You can do eeeit!

Re: VY Commodore Series 2

What is it with all the Euro styling. Surely Terra Australis has been around long enough to develop a uniquely Australian style?

If I was after a European styled car, I'd buy a genuine European car, not one trying to achieve that look.

3FB - The Official Site for cruising, eating and talking shite click here.

Member of the FPV-Tickford Club of NSW

3FB Mesh Bandit #2: 2002 AUIII XR6 HP _Oo===oO_
Dark_Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 21:39   #3 (permalink)
true blue thru & thru

hmmmm, sounds a bit 'whatever' to me.
what have they done to get tha extra power?
Old 08-11-2003, 22:47   #4 (permalink)
Fully Sick Magna Driver

Re: Re: VY Commodore Series 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_pete
what have they done to get tha extra power?
I think I remember someone saying that they're just changing the exhaust system to the one used in the new statesman to give it the extra power.
rob_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 01:01   #5 (permalink)
400 kg ego

The most exciting change to my eyes is cruise control on the Executive. About bloody time, considering Australian cars are supposedly designed for long distance driving.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 02:30   #6 (permalink)
FPV

Re: Re: VY Commodore Series 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Horse
What is it with all the Euro styling. Surely Terra Australis has been around long enough to develop a uniquely Australian style?
If I was after a European styled car, I'd buy a genuine European car, not one trying to achieve that look.
I totaly agree why would you buy a car that isn't what it is, Ford and Holden should stick 2 Aus style.

420+rwhp
YTRY4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 03:53   #7 (permalink)
2nd car....XR6turbo

I wouldn't worry about the power increase, because in one of the magazine's, they had the caprice dynoed and it only pulled 157rwkw. If anything, it will slow the car.
Old 08-12-2003, 17:18   #8 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Be interesting to see what Ford do for the BA2 XR8. I think a 3.45:1 diff is a must as well as an increase in power, if they're going to match the VYII of 245kw. Don't forget the Holden has a big weight advantage especially in V8 form.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 18:07   #9 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Strider:
I doubt 3.45 would make it because fuel consumption is a big issue.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 18:18   #10 (permalink)
Wanting 5 Gears, Damnit!

A guy on the Performance Forums said that it was official - no weight loss for BA2 - and gave a link to an article..
But i don't believe it.

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub