VZ Commodore - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2003, 22:15   #1 (permalink)
wanting 6 gears!

confused VZ Commodore

Im sure if you read last sundays courier mail you would have read about the new VZ commodore to be released next year to replace the VY. If you dont know the VYII comes out this month and VZ around the same time as BAII. I was wondering what people think of this ??? Should ford build a new car or just stick with the BA. Just thinkin with the new AWD commodore and the new engines out next year wont ford be left behind again ?
blinkAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2003, 22:19   #2 (permalink)
FPV Tasmania Member

Re: VZ Commodore

Doubtful, Holden have a long way to pick up, and theearly pics I have seen off the VZ, Holden are welcome to it. Besides, the BAII will no doubt be a vast improvement.
Its funny that Holden are doing a VYII so soon, must realise the shortcomings of their own product, thats going to devalue the VY series I pretty quick, then holden owners can say, geez I'm glad i bought that
Old 08-05-2003, 23:06   #3 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

The VZ will NOT be a new model. It will simply be the next iteration of the VT/VX/VY series. It may get a new drivetrain, but that will depend heavily on timing.

BA2 will more than hold it's own against VZ. VE will be a substantially better (and heavier!) car than the VT-VZ series, and will need every kW of power from the new HFV6 to propel it.
Old 08-05-2003, 23:38   #4 (permalink)
wanting 6 gears!

Where can i find pictures of what the VZ is going to currently look like ?
Old 08-05-2003, 23:41   #5 (permalink)
FPV Tasmania Member

saw some spy pics in one of the motoring magazines a few months ago,I 'll dig up and scan them for you if you like
Old 08-06-2003, 16:29   #6 (permalink)
****in Flat Out Racing

Re: Re: VZ Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sparkle
The VZ will NOT be a new model. It will simply be the next iteration of the VT/VX/VY series. It may get a new drivetrain, but that will depend heavily on timing.

BA2 will more than hold it's own against VZ. VE will be a substantially better (and heavier!) car than the VT-VZ series, and will need every kW of power from the new HFV6 to propel it.
In my opinion, a new drivetrain in the current shape is all that is really needed. Ok, the VY looks a bit iffy, but that swank new motor and new drivetrain in a VT/VX shape would be a killer. Personally, I am very afraid of the new HFV6. By all accounts so far its a lovely engine. Almost certain is that we'll get the 3.8 derivative with 190-200kw. You can bet your life Holden will be aiming squarely at matching and/or bettering the Barra 182.

However, I'm sure Ford has an ace up its sleeve for tweaking the 6 pot, but I'm sure they are nearing its limitations in normally aspirated guise. Although a the 182 is a vast improvement over the pervious engine, it is still no super smooth motor, but I'm sure they can still improve it.

I'm not so sure the VE will be *THAT* much heavier, as Holden are reported to be using some new materials that will be substantially lighter. I can't the see car being any heavier than BA(II).

It will be very interesting to see how things pan out in the next year or two. The bottom line is, the more Holden lift the game, the more Ford will, and that simply means better cars for us all.
FFOracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 16:32   #7 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

Re: Re: Re: VZ Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFOracing
I'm not so sure the VE will be *THAT* much heavier, as Holden are reported to be using some new materials that will be substantially lighter.
They are having financial and weight-related headaches with it... it is both more expensive and heavier than they were planning on...
Old 08-06-2003, 17:07   #8 (permalink)
****in Flat Out Racing

Re: Re: Re: Re: VZ Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sparkle
They are having financial and weight-related headaches with it... it is both more expensive and heavier than they were planning on...
Hmmm, interesting. Are Holden planning on basing the car on an existing Opel, like like all Commodores in the past? I'd love to see some spy shots of the VE. Whilst VE may not be as light as they had hoped, I can't see how it will be that much heavier than VY, if the overall dimensions are to be similar as VY.

I remember the huge weight gain from VS to VT, but VT was a significantly bigger car than VS.
FFOracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 18:01   #9 (permalink)
wanting 6 gears!

Yeah can someone plz if they have them post some shots of what we might be expecting for the ve or vz... also why is it called VE ?
Old 08-06-2003, 18:08   #10 (permalink)
FPV Tasmania Member

I could never figure out why Holden never produced the "VD" model
i mean they did vb, and vc, then jumped to vk
VD would have been much more appropriate.
Probably the same reason that Ford never did the "EC" (for you that dont know, EC stands for Earth Closet, ie toilet, in the Northern half of this country)

Lets put a post on over at LS1, asking for the "VD"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub