Warning to GIO Policy Holders. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2004, 21:08   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs down Warning to GIO Policy Holders.

I was advised today by GIO that they will not insure any vehicle that has after market extractors fitted.

GIO even stated that if my EL2XR8 headers were damaged or worn and Ford cannot supply me with the original parts they would not cover me if I fitted after market headers.

However, I can fit alloy heads, cam shafts etc. (that would give me a 40 kw power increase) and providing that the car is road worthy and complies with the RTA (NSW) regulations GIO would still cover me.
But I cannot fit extractors with a 10 kW gain

So beware of your insurnace policies.
Check before you modify because they will look for any avenue not to pay out.

So it looks like GIO might loose another customer.

Steve
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2004, 21:14   #2 (permalink)
Lord of the RC

Re: Warning to GIO Policy Holders.

Thats pretty dodgy by the sounds of it
O.F.R #6 : PM Me
Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Member #4 of the MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
fordel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 21:23   #3 (permalink)

Yep just shop around and whats on offer from the other insurance mobs.
Cheers John

"FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria"
If you have an XR6, XR8, T-Series or FPV vehicle (GTs) why not join.
Motorsport,Show n Shine,Cruise days,Factory tours,Special events
FPV and XR Owners Club of Victoria

www.fpvxrclub.com
Extra's Leather seats, Sunroof, Premium Sound, Satellite Navigation, Reversing Sensors,
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 22:46   #4 (permalink)

GIO cracked down a few years ago on mods. I had my XE with them for the years 95 and 96 then left. A couple of years after that, I was ringing around again and tried GIO. My car - the same car - with 14"x7" 12 slotters and everything else stock wouldn't be insured with them because of the mods. I had gone up (improved) 2 ratings in those 2 years as well with no claims
Old 01-07-2004, 22:47   #5 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

That'd be the insurance co's illogical reaction to the trigger word "extractors". If you have a current policy and it is a declared, listed modification I can't see there being a problem, however that may be another story come renewal time.

Perhaps a letter from Ford to the effect "this part no (the exhaust manifold) is no longer available, our approved alternative is ...." would help. Getting a letter like that might not be so easy though.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 01:45   #6 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

... and while we're on this topic, a warning to everyone regarding AAMI - they will treat your FACTORY OPTIONS as MODIFICATIONS!!! ie. you are generally allowed 4 modifications, and so if you were lucky enough to tick 5 boxes when you signed for your shiny new car, sorry sir but they will not offer you insurance.

What a monument to logic and common sense they are! F*CKIN ASSHOLES!
Old 01-08-2004, 02:11   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve's XR8
I was advised today by GIO that they will not insure any vehicle that has after market extractors fitted.

However, I can fit alloy heads, cam shafts etc. (that would give me a 40 kw power increase) and providing that the car is road worthy and complies with the RTA (NSW) regulations GIO would still cover me.
How do they work that out, different cams and head will increase power more than extractors and this is allowed but extractors arent allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sparkle
... and while we're on this topic, a warning to everyone regarding AAMI - they will treat your FACTORY OPTIONS as MODIFICATIONS!!! ie. you are generally allowed 4 modifications, and so if you were lucky enough to tick 5 boxes when you signed for your shiny new car, sorry sir but they will not offer you insurance.

This means that most of my cars were already uninsureable at AAMI before they arrived at the dealer. Im guessing this is because they have set up Just Cars insurance to deal with these cars.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:44   #8 (permalink)
mmmmm....kookyfudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sparkle

Definatley agree with bsmyth AAMI are catering for the Toyota drivers of this country (and who would blame them!, sold more cars than anyone else, uninspiring whitegoods with wheels, less risk!) mind you my experience with them was that they would never offer me a quote in the first place so i gave up in the end.

In a previous lifetime I owned a series 2 RX7 which i had insured with FAI (third party, fire & theft) and my cover lapsed when my renewal details were sent to a previous address. I went to re-insure and after an inspection, (wasnt required for lapsed policy) was told that i was inelligable because i has a "sports exhaust" (extractors & 3 inch system) The ONE and ONLY modification!

The exhaust was listed on my policy as a modification I was looking at it while debating this with the FAI rep on the phone. I was told that i would have been in breach of policy had i made a claim!!!

Anyway thats a long time ago now, I have a policy with RACV and I am very happy with the service that i recieve full comprehensive and no limit on the number of modifications ($8000 maximum value). All with pay by the month.

kooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 22:41   #9 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

Racv will allow unlimited modifications ?!?
Damn, the NRMA isn't half as nice as that
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub