Watermarks!!! How to remove...? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2004, 16:14   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

Question Watermarks!!! How to remove...?

G'day,

A friendly bird decided to lay its deposit on my roof & bonnet the other day so I cleaned it off with some car wash & water. But I got caught up & forgot to wipe it down. It left bloody white watermarks all over my car! I gave it was yesterday & the watermark outlines are still there! My local water must have acid it in!!! Whats the best way to remove these marks? One more thing I have a black BA XR8... Got to love black sometimes!

Cheers,

Memphis.
memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2004, 16:29   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Re: Watermarks!!! How to remove...?

Gday mate,

Check this article out:

http://www.aufalcon.com/Articles/carcare2.htm

You'll find tips on removing watermarks about halfway down. Hope it helps!
BlueAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 16:31   #3 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

I feel for you mate! One year I went to Summernats with my black HDT Director and after the driving events washed the car. It was a stinking hot day and I couldn't chamois it off quick enough! I had white marks all over the car.

I tried getting the marks out with no joy but it was the first year or so of Meguiars coming to Oz and I parked my car at the Meguiars stand and they used it as a demo car for their products! The marks you are talking about are probably calcium and other mineral deposits from the water.

Not fun but you'll need a power buffer to save your arms and some good quality products. I'd suggest starting with 3M Perfect-It Glaze for dark cars using plenty of water in the 3M Dimpled buffing pad. Then progress to hand polishing using Meguiars Showcar Glaze with a final light coating of Meguiars Gold Class Wax. I've used this combo to win numerous concourse events and get into Top 80 Elite at the Summernats. By topping up the Gold Class Wax every two months or so (takes around 2 hours after washing the car) you shouldn't get staining again and the car will remain much easier to clean.

For the record, the 3M Perfect-It is the duck's guts for black cars and keeping swirl marks away.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 16:34   #4 (permalink)
Scoob010

Your in the sh%t with black. I've seen plenty of black cars from the factory
and they're a bastard to get right. Problem is you can buff the water marks out
but the paint is never the same. The water marks come out but the buff brings up swirl marks, from there you can try a few things but no matter what you do once the top layer of paint has been broken more imperfections will keep coming up.
Old 08-17-2004, 00:49   #5 (permalink)

Try Meguiars "Quick Detailer". Bit like a spray and wipe, but use a little bit of elbow grease .....
Old 08-17-2004, 01:08   #6 (permalink)
BA XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis
G'day,

A friendly bird decided to lay its deposit on my roof & bonnet the other day so I cleaned it off with some car wash & water. But I got caught up & forgot to wipe it down. It left bloody white watermarks all over my car! I gave it was yesterday & the watermark outlines are still there! My local water must have acid it in!!! Whats the best way to remove these marks? One more thing I have a black BA XR8... Got to love black sometimes!

Cheers,

Memphis.

Pricey reminder that nothing should interupt the love between a black car and it's owner.

I am obsessive with marks and poop like that and I have to wash it off asap or else it just makes me sad looking at him (the car).

Evyl by plate, evil by nature.
Black Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub