We need your Advice.. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Should people have to register to view pages on FordForums?
My oath they should. It's for the piece of mind of the board and it's members.. 34 57.63%
It should remain an open board for all and sundry to see and copy to their hearts content.. 25 42.37%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2002, 06:54   #1 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Arrow We need your Advice..

OK Guys, this is rather serious..

What we are aiming to do is stop lurkers from veiwing our section of the boards. This basically means that if you want to view our threads then you need to register to post on FordForums.

The reason we are putting this to you guys is that for a while now there has been a number of lurkers viewing & printing some of the information that has been posted. It is our aim to stop this from happening so that we can protect you guys as members, FordForums.com & Ford Oz from any damaging actions that may arise..

I urge you to vote with your honest beliefs, and please feel free to post any opinions that you may have on this issue. Like I have said, this is for real. We are seeking your honest opinions as valued members of FordForums.com. Remember this is for the protection of us all..
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2002, 07:01   #2 (permalink)
Ford Focus WRC Driver.

I voted that they should register. I believe that it's important to at least some idea of who's viewing the information that's going up on the boards.
Old 01-11-2002, 07:07   #3 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Ok i prefer them to register, but i have to give opposing view points here.

I know that there is a lot of information that is being posted on this site and should it not remain viewable to those that are not registered? What about those new folks that come on here and see that they can not view this area? How can they make a true assesment on the content of this site and the way that the members handle themselves in here? Some folks may be turned away from the site because they are not able to make a fair assesment of the area.

Would you join a forum that had its area blocked off from view to non registeredd members? I know that there are sites that require you to register to view anything. Some of them need that. Do we?

How many folks will we turn away with an action such as this?

Just some food for thought. BTW I voted with the majority
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 07:22   #4 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Quote:
Originally posted by LunaticSS
How many folks will we turn away with an action such as this?
In all honesty that is one of my main concerns John. Why turn away potential new members..

It's a real hard question to answer.. on one hand you want it to be open to all, but on the other you want he perenial lurkers to join up and contribute to a worthwhile discussion.
Ultimately it's up to John what the go is.. I guess I'm just trying to guage what the feeling is amongst the group..
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 08:01   #5 (permalink)
RedB@ck

But what stops people from just registering any old name and doing the same thing?
Old 01-11-2002, 08:05   #6 (permalink)
Bring Back the 24hr!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by RedB@ck
But what stops people from just registering any old name and doing the same thing?
At least then we have their IP and we have a better idea of who is looking at the boards
Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 08:20   #7 (permalink)
RedB@ck

I see.
Old 01-11-2002, 09:11   #8 (permalink)
Mr. Embargo

You may have an influx of people at the beginning of the proposed plan but give it time and you will no doubt see a decline in joining members.

I for one don't feel that I need to be protected in this forum. I use my own judgment, and if I didn't want something to be read by others I wouldn't post it.
Old 01-11-2002, 10:11   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by DONUT KING

At least then we have their IP and we have a better idea of who is looking at the boards
Ummm wouldnt you be able to see their IP address regardless of whether they are a member or not??

My opinion is if your going to make it for registered members only then only make one section of the board restricted!
What reason would there be to block off areas like Garage, Market Place, Showroom, the Tickford area etc???

Youve got that new thread called Ford Australia News, make that restricted access, we post our AV info ect in there and when the AV is released remove the restriction on the thread(as what point will it serve once the AV is on sale??). Also restrict the access to that area to people who have been registered for 3 months or 100 posts or something?
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 14:17   #10 (permalink)

G'day all, before I registered I browsed over the boards for a while before I committed to registering, the proposal may lose some prospective members. Some other boards have experimented with this and restricted access only lasted for a short while before it was dropped, my humble opinion only, regards Ford jeepman.

Ford jeepman
2001 XR6 Ute, 1944 Ford GPW(Ford copy of the Willys jeep)
Ford jeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub