'We'll buy foreign parts' says Ford - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2002, 16:09   #1 (permalink)

Read 'We'll buy foreign parts' says Ford

From The Australian

http://www.newspix.com.au/aus/20020614.PDF

AUSTRALIA'S car-makers are in the grip of an "absolutely frightening" industrial war that could soon result in Ford shopping offshore for steel and other key components, says the multinational manufacturer's president in Australia, Geoff Polites.

Mr Polites warned that yesterday's resolution of a strike at BHP Steel's Hastings plant in Victoria that threatened to bring the car industry to a halt did little to ease the threat to Australia's "credibility" as a secure place to make vehicles.

The Hastings strike was the third time in less than a year that a dispute had interrupted the lean supply chain to car-makers and threatened to force them to halt production.

Mr Polites described as "absolutely frightening" a threat by the Australian Manufacturing Workers Union to routinely use industrial action in the renegotiation of up to 500 enterprise bargaining agreements at small component suppliers over the next 12 months.

BHP Steel president Col Weatherstone yesterday joined AMWU secretary Doug Cameron and vehicle manufacturers in calling for a national summit on the troubled industrial relations surrounding the car industry.

Meanwhile, Ford signalled to BHP Steel, its workers and the wider components industry that if strikes persisted over EBAs, the company would go shopping elsewhere for steel and other key components.

"We could go overseas right now permanently," Mr Polites said of steel sourcing. "Every time one of these disputes happens, we look for alternatives overseas.

"I'm not saying we're going to, but the chances are we don't need to buy this steel in Australia any more. And if we move to buy it overseas it will never, ever, come back."

Mr Polites noted Ford Australia already had a long and favourable relationship with Nippon Steel in Japan.

The marginal cost of importing from Japan was "a hell of a lot less than losing a couple of days of production", he said.

Mr Polites also warned the renewal of hostilities in Australian industrial relations had sent a shiver through Ford headquarters in Detroit.

He said this week that Ford Motor Company vice-president Mark Schulz opened their weekly discussion with: "What's new in strike country?"

Mr Schulz, who is also president of Ford Asia-Pacific, has a particular interest in Australia and the long-term viability of Ford locally.

But while Ford and Holden have signalled they might go offshore for suppliers, Toyota and Mitsubishi remain reluctant to pursue that option.

Toyota spokesman Peter Griffin said the company would stand by its local suppliers. "Where possible, we'd actually like to increase local content," he said.

But Mitsubishi spokesman Charles Iles agreed the latest dispute had tarnished Australia's reputation.

Mr Polites suggested that using Japan as a source was just the tip of the iceberg for a whole range of components.

"You've got the rest of the world falling over itself to do business with you, and you've got Australia sending messages to the effect that we don't care," he said.

Ford had not yet spoken to Nippon Steel but ongoing problems with suppliers could force its hand.

The futures of the domestic car-makers and of Australia's $5 billion car component industry were at stake, Mr Polites said.

He said the car industry was increasingly concerned about the rollout of almost $1 billion worth of new models later this year by Holden, Ford, Toyota and Mitsubishi.

Ford has spent $450 million developing its new Falcon and Holden slightly less on its Commodore.

The new Falcon and Commodore models, along with a new Toyota Camry and Mitsubishi Magna, are crucial to each company's future expansion plans.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2002, 16:47   #2 (permalink)
Copyright �2003

It still amazes me how small minded and shortsighted some unions and some of thier members, can be.

the house of grunt
Click on the above link to go to a site about my cars, old and new.
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 16:55   #3 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Sheesh! Bloody unions on about job security. Great way to go about it guys, drive your major customers away.

Anyway this dispute settled last night (well pending the vote at 10am today). Hopefully the harm done isn't terminal.
24 DAY DISPUTE RESOLVED

Raptor, reporting from inside the Picket lines (well sorta).
Old 06-13-2002, 18:01   #4 (permalink)

It is sad to hear that Ford is looking at using imported materials, but I can definitely see the reasoning behind it. The strikes that have been going on in recent years (transport, docks, manufacturing) are becoming ridiculous.

There are some genuine cases where workers' right have been breached, but in most cases it went something like this:

X: Bloody hell, there's no Mars bars in the vending machine!
Y: We don't need to take that crap!! Let's strike!
X: I reckon!

Pathetic if you ask me...
Old 06-13-2002, 18:19   #5 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Man

But currently, would it really matter to Ford if they had to stop production for a couple of days?
It will when the AV comes out, that I am sure of.
I remember I was doing Industrial relations at Uni when the big Waterfront strike was on. I still shiver to think how much a union can disrupt production in Australia.
Old 06-14-2002, 21:53   #6 (permalink)
ex ea driver

i think there comes a time when the uion has to realise that they have gone to far, back in the l8 80's here in bendigo we had a big manufacturing plant here, there were some ppl that didn't think that they were gettin paid enough, they all went on strike, and all the people lost there jobs, there would have been about 200 ppl or more that were affected by this, they just dont seem to realise how big of an affect that there gonna have.
CATman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 23:34   #7 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

heh. I think that this is the time that the unions got a lesson that they arent the ones that run the show. Sure the workforce plays a vital role in getting things done, but they arent the be-all end-all. I think its time that the unions got their fingers out of the Labour party's pie, stopped holding big business to ransom, and got on with helping to build Australia as a player on the world stage.
discokin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub