What to do.......
As some people may be aware, I am getting an EA to start some serious mods on. I'm not sure what to do though in regards to my current AU. I am thinking I might offload the AU asap and use the funds to put towards the EA. I'll list the pros and cons of selling it below. What do you guys reckon?
* Can payout most of car loan saving me $200 a fortnight.
* No need for full comprehensive insurance saving me $100 a month.
* Will be able to direct more funds at the EA.
* Could re-apply for lesser loan to fund project (approx $8000 or so).
* Wouldn't have an extra car in the driveway to p**s Mum off even further! lol.
* No daily driver......although I could get a $500 laser or something with some rego left on it.
* Would be a shame to sell the AU!
* Reliability issues with EA as daily driver.
* EA needs a bit of work to pass pink slip (new shocks all round, new boot latch, new tappet cover gasket).
* Project could be pretty lengthy.
* Not having a daily driver might make me rush the EA and not doing the job properly.
The loan I have at the moment leaves me about $18000 in debt (with interest and $2000 redraw for alloys). So if I could sell the AU for $14000 (may sound pricey to some of you city folk, but out here it's pretty cheap) it only leaves $4000 left on the loan. If I sell the AU it'll mean I can really pull my finger out and spend some money on the EA and get it completed.
For anyone that's interested, here's what I have planned so far:
EA 3.9L block bored to 4.0L
AU pistons with modified bowls to lower compression
AU head, ported and polished
High volume oil pump
EMS engine management system (undecided on fuel system, needs a lot of thought!)
Largish Turbo running about 10-12psi (greatful of any suggestions on what to use!)
Full 3in exhaust
Manual trans (once again undecided as yet)
3. 45:1 LSD.
Full EF interior, but may also just decide to do something nice to the EA style interior.
Exterior is pretty straight, very minimal panel work required, but will be resprayed cobalt blue or something similar.
Ultimately my aim is for about 250-300rwkw. I want to do it all properly and have it running reliably enough to drive daily, which I can't see being too much of a problem.
Hmmmmmmm decisions, decisions.............any advice would be appreciated and any opinions, negative or positive are welcomed!
1992 AXII Telstar TX5 Ghia
121kW 2.5L DOHC V6 in a car that weighs 1100kg's and looks like a 4 banger from the outside......SLEEPER!
1988 EA S Pak 3spd CFI.....Soon to be a 250rwkw HSV eating machine.