What mobile would you buy and why? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2003, 14:29   #1 (permalink)
FF Town Sheriff

What mobile would you buy and why?

In the market for a new phone, and thought I'd ask you guys what you have and what you like and dislike about it.

I'm with telstra and won't be changing, so lets keep it to handsets info only.

" i will own another V8, just what type of body it's in is another question. "
philbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2003, 18:33   #2 (permalink)
Happy lil Vegemite

Re: What mobile would you buy and why?

Recently replaced my Panasonic handset with a Nokia 3315, cheap, no frills, seems like a good phone. Outright cost to buy was around $170.(Handset, Battery,Charger).
My phones get knocked about alot so no point spending big heaps on them.
-AL- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 19:11   #3 (permalink)
Future BA XR6T Pilot

I got a siemens s55 mobile, not too shabby, didn't get the detachable camera with the phone, but just borrow a friends camera when we are out. Screen is easy to read and has quite good colour. the buttons are a little be small and if you have big fingers could be a little hard to type SMS quickly. It has bluetooth, infrared and can be connected up to the PC with a serial (included with the phone) or usb cable. Comes with all the software required and can be synchronised with Microsoft Outlook and used to keep track of appointments. It is also a tri-band phone so it can be used overseas. Its not a perfect phone, but it is quite solid and really does anything most people could want in a phone. The only major problem I have with it is that the polyphonic ringtones are not very loud and can sometimes be missed when the phone is in your pocket, but there is always the vibrate alert which you can feel.

The reason I got the S55 is that phones with cameras cannot be taken into some places, and as I will be working with Ford in product development next year, I wouldn't have been able to take the phone on site. This way I can still take the phone anywhere as the camera is not inbuilt to the handset.

If you have a decent budget, the new siemens models are the SL55 and the M55 which have better screens and some different features.

If you want to check the phones out the web address is http://www.my-siemens.com.au

Cheers,

Steve
Old 11-02-2003, 20:57   #4 (permalink)
Faster than Zyrtec

My current phone, a nokia 6310i seems to be regarded as the best phone that nokia ever made before the coloured screens/mms came in - its got all the bells and whistles - triband/bluetooth wank.... Its the business phone of nokia's "fleet", never had any trouble. Takes about 40 minutes to charge and this will last a whole week with about 2 hrs talk time. I just can't stand small mobile phones - these phones are about 10cm long.

Long and the short of it this phone is being replaced by the nokia 6230 - its comming out shortly and looks pretty flash - http://www.nokia.com.au/nokia/0,,48500,00.html

Last edited by dave_au; 11-02-2003 at 20:59.
dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 21:10   #5 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

As you may or may not have already read, I have a Motorola A920 phone on the 3 Network.

It has Videotalk, digital camera and picture, Video downloads, touch screen, MP3 player, USB, modem access via laptop (expensive to use), vibrate, MMS, 15c SMS, email usability, tri-band and regular news, sports and weather video updates.

The bad thing about these phones is the chew thru batteries if your a heavy phone user (they supply 2 batteries for you to charge as they reckon it will go thru 2 in a day) and the size of it is quite cumbersome.

Other than those things its an excellent phone with many updatable features.

http://www.three.com.au/index.cfm?se...id=481&sid=854
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 21:14   #6 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

what do you want the phone to do?
If you don't care about size the Nokia 3530 is the best thing out there it's about $370 or less to buy out right and it has polyphonic ringtones, java apps and games, colour screen and it's a joy to use.
Also the 3530 has the most powerful Java chip out of all but the very top model nokias (see jbenchmark.com)
for style I think the SL55 from Siemans is the best but they are a annoying phone to use for anything but phone calls.
The nokia 6610 is a good "business" phone.
Some of the ericssons have a good package as well.
Tell me what you want to do with it and I'll make a meaning full recomendation.
Old 11-02-2003, 21:57   #7 (permalink)
FF Town Sheriff

ok what do I want it to do? needs to work with my bluetooth headset, and check my emails when I'm on holiday from work....but thats about it, as for what I'd like Big colour screen and big buttons would be nice.

Old 11-02-2003, 22:00   #8 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

I would be inclined to look up the nokia, motorola or seimens site and do a search with what you want and let the site bring up whats best.
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 22:08   #9 (permalink)
{';'}

Here is a good site for reviews: www.imobile.com.au

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
Eh Yagz, suck my left teste mate I'll have boost for $1k, even if it is only 1 pound.

Check my ride, HERE
XRated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 22:09   #10 (permalink)
FF Town Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
I would be inclined to look up the nokia, motorola or seimens site and do a search with what you want and let the site bring up whats best.
I have done this as you have suggested, however I'm looking for a hands on view. nothing like hearing the good and bad points from the users themselves.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub