What is it with schools and guns ? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 13:35   #1 (permalink)
Moderators

What is it with schools and guns ?

Teen shot at Atlanta school; student in custody

And this from yesterday .

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/31/us...plex.html?_r=0

Is it just a case the shootings are getting more media attention now ? it is certainly making the headlines all the time over here .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 18:35   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: What is it with schools and guns ?

Probably, There also been several cases of violence stopped by guns, but you rarely hear about it as it doesn't fit our news media's agenda.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:21   #3 (permalink)
Moderators

Watched a news item over here the other night on CBS news where they were comparing New York against Chicago gun / crime figures They seemed to suggest the heavier punishments had a great effect .

Chicago Murder Number Triple New York City In January CBS Chicago
Old 02-02-2013, 06:52   #4 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

There's a second part to that, Mayor Rudy Giuliani started a stop and frisk policy during his time in office in NYC. Basically it goes like: if you look like your a gang member, the police will stop you and frisk for contraband. If you have an illegal weapon, it will get confiscated and they take you downtown. When the enacted this law, the crime rate dropped dramatically, NYC used to have one of the highest crime rates per capita in the US, after enacting, it dropped to a total ctime rate to less than that of a city 1/4 it's size. That's not just gun violence and murder, but all crimes.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of civil liberties groups that are screaming against this, but I'm betting that, if enacted and enforced in Chicago and Detroit, you would see similar results.

Giuliani also did something else that always helps reduce crime, he did his best to make NYC a friendlier place for business, which increased job growth. He hit the 2 points that dramatically affect crime. He worked on disarming just the criminals and he made it easier to make an honest living. I just don't understand what's wrong with that concept.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:39   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

We had a spate of knife crimes and stop and search was introduced to good effect .The general public didn't mind if stopped .It was the ones likely to be caught that complained and others that said it was because of their colour / race ( as usual). Of course the reason they were stopped was nothing to do with them causing trouble , looking suspicious and being (in most cases ) s****y little neds . At times over here the police have to work with their hands tied because of the civil rights and do gooders who dont know what is happening on the streets .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub